I was lucky enough to drive one! Quick review.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, I was lucky enough to drive one! Quick review. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; [sorry, no pics!!] Thanks to my incessant V-this and V-that about my V1 and upcoming V2, my boss decided to ...
    razl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V Light Platinum

I was lucky enough to drive one! Quick review.

[sorry, no pics!!]

Thanks to my incessant V-this and V-that about my V1 and upcoming V2, my boss decided to get a V2. His isn't here yet (next week or so) but his salesperson called him today to tell him that a red one was up for grabs as the original buyer changed his mind (no reason given why).

My boss, constantly encouraging me to get a V2 as well, called me immediately just ot let me know one was sitting on the lot (he's getting black on black and not at all interested in the red). Just as soon as I wrapped up work (cough just in case he's reading!) I ran down to the dealership to check it out in person.

It just looks fantastic. The proportions and everything are just simply spot on. From the pics I had wished the trim differences from the stock CTS were a little better but in person they work brilliantly - I really think it strikes just the perfect balance between professional and lethal. And the red was beautiful. Mind you, I am not a colors person at all - I like metallics [Platinum, FTW!] - but that red is striking. It's just a bit muted, but rich in depth. More red than burgundy, but not by a lot.

Long story, short - the salesperson and I started jawing and he said the manager said "nobody" gets to drive it. I'm up front about the fact that while I love the car, I'm not in a buying position anyway. After we talk for a while, he's thinking that maybe with a drive he could make a sale - he goes in to see what he can do and after a few minutes comes out with a tag and the fob - "let's go". Again, I'm up front that I'm not in the market - but he's got the keys, a grin, and I don't really think what I said mattered much at that point...

He drives out and we chat it up. He's really easy on the gas but you can tell the torque is there. He bumps it a bit and it pulls -strong-. I get a little bit of that punch-in-the-gut roller coaster feeling. He says he's only 50% on the pedal, and that was from 30mph. Wow.

Quiet. Feels like a Merc - has that solid bank vault sound when the doors open and close. No rattles. You can barely discern a whine from the super charger. I lower the window to listen and it's so poised and polished, you have no-F'n-clue 556hp lurk in there. There's a little exhaust note but nothing most people would detect.

This one doesn't have recaros, but the regular seats are fine (are they the same as the reg V2 CtS?). It does have the dual sun-roof. You can't open them so without those mechanics it doesn't seem to have sacrificed any headroom, but with 2 planes of glass there's a lot of sky to see. I imagine from the back seat it's a pretty cool view.

He pulls into a lot and says "your turn". I can't believe it. We switch places and I am immediately overcome with the feeling that it is _nothing_ like the V1. There is no connection - no visual clue, no feeling - that the 2 are related at all. The materials, fit/finish, layout, design, nothing from the inside says V1 CTS at all.

My next reaction - I'm just a little disappointed. It's not that it isn't a brilliant spot on car, a grand slam home run at what it was targeted for - it's that, well, I miss the rumble of mine. By that I don't just mean the sound, I mean more the gunslinger, unpolished aspect. I know, I know - it's my own reverse psychology trying to keep me in love with my own baby - but I almost can't help but think the V2 is too polished. Everyone seems to love the black piano lacquer look except me. I'd rather have aluminum, cf, or something else. Then again, I'm not getting one (yet!) - so maybe I'm just jealous It's beautiful for what it is - and it's the return of what Cadillac probably should be. But it makes the V1 feel like a lurch, maybe a bit of an unpolished mistake, maybe even now the red-haired stepchild. It's almost like Caddy tried to erase the V1 by making the V2 so much more polished.

Anyway, my first hurdle - uh-oh, this is an auto. We put it into manual mode and I'm using the buttons. Very badly I might add. No clutch and little sound to go by (plus we're constantly talking about it) and I'm doing a bad job shifting. Even so, the car is poised, level, and has great attitude the whole time. If I did the same crappy gear placement in my wife's LS manu-matic, it'd be lurching all over the place - but not this!

He points me to a back road that has some real twistys and even some train tracks. After having watched Mays in Top Gear drive his right off a straight road (granted, with TC off) I'm totally gentle with her. I can definitely tell she's heavier (dare I say bigger? It feels 10%+ bigger) but she has all the torque in the world to overcome it. As we approach the train tracks, I'm inclined to slow to a crawl but the salesguy urges me not to. We go over them at about 30. The car is taught, but not stiff - it rolls over and soaks up 85% of the impact with aplomb, there's barely any jarring at all. And, most importantly, during the bumps over, the car's attitude, steering, and line never shake or waver. Subtle, but awesome. I think I could have rolled over them without my hand on the steering wheel and it would have tacked true.

I goose it a couple of times when nothings around while rolling and - every time - no matter the gear or the RPMs she seems to have fire in the belly. She wants to run. One time, we're at a stop light and I go to leave, and we're talking and I look down to realize that I had it in second gear from the start - you couldn't tell. It drove just like I started in first. There's torque everywhere.

Some of the salesguys called the salesman with me and said "what lap are y'all on?" We laugh it off and head back home. I do notice at a couple of lights people are looking at it, I mean really. I saw one lady tap her husband and point. I don't think any of them knew it was a V, but just like the V1, they knew it was something different from the norm.

We rolled back in, talked it up a bit more, and then I was off. When I got in mine I immediately noticed that what was plenty horsepower when I pulled in, now somehow seemed ... lacking. Yep, I need to start saving for a Maggie.

The V2 is a beautiful car. At the price point, it's almost bending the space-time-performance continuum. Yep, I'd take one in a heartbeat if I could. But I don't think I could bring myself to trade in my V1 to get a V2. For whatever dumb reason, I'd get my V2, love it, but still come home and want to see my V1 in the driveway. At least for the first year

Congrats to all you new and soon to-be V2 owners!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Short-Throw is offline CadillacOwners First 09 CTS-V Owner
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, 08 Escalade

Re: I was lucky enough to drive one! Quick review.

Quote Originally Posted by razl View Post
    [sorry, no pics!!] It does have the dual sun-roof. You can't open them so without those mechanics it doesn't seem to have sacrificed any headroom,
    Who told you that?

The sun-roof not only vents up but also slides open.

Hmmm, that's what I thought the sales person told me. I say thought only because I was in the middle of checking something else out at the time and only half listening. I thought I got what he said, but maybe I lost something in translation.

Or, maybe I heard him correctly and he didn't know what he was talking about. I doubt that, he seemed to be well informed on all the other aspects of the car, so let's chalk it up to me being V2 startstruck.

And then my V1 had this to say afterward...

StormCaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS

[sorry, no pics!!]

This one doesn't have recaros, but the regular seats are fine (are they the same as the reg V2 CtS?).
    The standard seats are the same as CTS.

chris1268 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 cts-v

[sorry, no pics!!]

I goose it a couple of times when nothings around while rolling and - every time - no matter the gear or the RPMs she seems to have fire in the belly. She wants to run. :

Congrats to all you new and soon to-be V2 owners!!!!
    One of the best written statements about the car I have seen to date. I could actually feel what you were describing - GREAT POST - now if my #@*#@*#* car would just get here already.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.