Gas Guzzler Tax Changed - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Gas Guzzler Tax Changed in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Maybe a bit lower than the ZR1, after all, it weighs a thousand pounds more....
    JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Re: Gas Guzzler Tax Changed

Maybe a bit lower than the ZR1, after all, it weighs a thousand pounds more.

gotapex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Alas, none yet

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Smart cars, in the US, are dumb...
    Smart cars in the US are great, at least they were last year before the dealers opened. You got more attention pulling up to the club in one than a Ferrari 360. Pretty amazing. Guess they're not so useful anymore.

jvp
    jvp is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

Tony -

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    I dug a little further, and it appears that the GMPricing site has been updated to reflect a $1,600 tax for the Manual, and now shows a $2,600 tax for the Auto.
    You certainly have access to more information than I do; please don't take this the wrong way. The numbers don't seem to add up right, though. There are sites online that let you calculate engine RPM for a given set of inputs: wheel diameter, gear ratio, final drive, and road speed.

If we assume a fixed road speed (65MPH) and a fixed rear tire size (about 26.85inches), we have two variables left: rear end ratio and final drive. For the manual, those two numbers are 3.73 and .63 respectively. For the auto, it's 3.23 and .67 respectively.

Given the road speed (65MPH) we'd get 1911RPMs for the manual and 1760RPMs for the automatic. A difference of about 150RPMs at 65MPH. The only difference between the two cars at that point is overall mass (the auto expected to be a tad bit heavier than the stick). However, at steady highway speeds, mass doesn't really come into play.

So, in the end, the stick SHOULD have worse gas mileage on the highway than the auto because it's running at a higher engine RPM. My guess is the city mileage is slightly in favor of the manual given the mass and the gearing (city driving is where mass comes into play).

Do you have the official EPA numbers from GM yet? All I see are the estimates on Edmunds, which I don't believe.

jas

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

^ the stick SHOULD get worse gas mileage but its stated as slightly higher in the documentation given to the dealers. We have to remember that obviously the manual has less parasitic loss the the automatic. Especially since the automatic isn't even a true dual clutch system.

Surfer-Dude is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Quote Originally Posted by jvp View Post
    Do you have the official EPA numbers from GM yet? All I see are the estimates on Edmunds, which I don't believe.

jas
    Mags are showing the rating at 10/16 , thats even way worse than my much heavier suv. 16 highway....jeeze

MacOSR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

10/16 sounds about right to me. I get about 12 with city driving in my M5. You don't buy these cars for their great gas mileage ;-)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.