Cadillac Owners Forum banner

New Engine Break In Period

9K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  MrEr1c 
#1 ·
Since the new cars should start arriving soon, I thought I would ask the question that will be on many people's minds. What is the best way to "break in" the new engine. I've heard different opinions ranging from drive it like a granny for 1000 miles to drive it like you stole it. Which is correct? Does it really matter?

#4 ·
Now that people are starting to receive their V's, what is the consensus about the break in period? I was mild with my V1 for the first 1000 miles and have had no problems, but I'm curious about other people's previous experience and plans with their new V's.

#7 ·
we had a saab 9-7x get an engine replaced at 4000 miles because the owner bought it in california and drove it back home to NC directly after purchasing it... as far as i know from talking to our techs about that one its not a good idea to run the engine so long. Hard for a short period might be good, but all day long for two or three days is a really bad way to break in and engine and will probably just break it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.