New Engine Break In Period
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, New Engine Break In Period in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Since the new cars should start arriving soon, I thought I would ask the question that will be on many ...
    AZstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '09 CTS-V

New Engine Break In Period

Since the new cars should start arriving soon, I thought I would ask the question that will be on many people's minds. What is the best way to "break in" the new engine. I've heard different opinions ranging from drive it like a granny for 1000 miles to drive it like you stole it. Which is correct? Does it really matter?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Uncle Meat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None. Looking to buy a new CTS-V.

Re: New Engine Break In Period

I've been using this method for a my last few vehicles and I'm a believer!

WARNING! Controversial subject matter ahead!!!!

http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

U.M.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

I always went buy the rule of beat the crap out of it just dont do any standing wots for the first couple hundred and give time for cooling off in between. That and change out all fluids in the vehicle at about 1k.

AZstar is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V, '09 CTS-V

Now that people are starting to receive their V's, what is the consensus about the break in period? I was mild with my V1 for the first 1000 miles and have had no problems, but I'm curious about other people's previous experience and plans with their new V's.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Personal Opinion - Keep it relatively tame for the first 500 miles, then slightly more aggressive up to the next 500 beginning to spread it's legs. Then have the oil changed about 1K and it's your baby to play with after that.

Short-Throw is offline CadillacOwners First 09 CTS-V Owner
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V, 08 Escalade

The engine doesn't need breaking in. The reason for the recommended slow break in is for the drive-train gearing.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

we had a saab 9-7x get an engine replaced at 4000 miles because the owner bought it in california and drove it back home to NC directly after purchasing it... as far as i know from talking to our techs about that one its not a good idea to run the engine so long. Hard for a short period might be good, but all day long for two or three days is a really bad way to break in and engine and will probably just break it.

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Post Re: New Engine Break In Period

Quote Originally Posted by Short-Throw View Post
    The engine doesn't need breaking in. The reason for the recommended slow break in is for the drive-train gearing.

MrEr1c is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by rippypartsmaster View Post
    we had a saab 9-7x get an engine replaced at 4000 miles because the owner bought it in california and drove it back home to NC directly after purchasing it... as far as i know from talking to our techs about that one its not a good idea to run the engine so long. Hard for a short period might be good, but all day long for two or three days is a really bad way to break in and engine and will probably just break it.
    My father bought a new '03 Cobra in Ohio and then preceded to drive it to D.C. and then back to NH within 2 weeks. Car is still running strong with even with more boost!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.