09 CTS-V Test Drive
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, 09 CTS-V Test Drive in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hi all, it's my first post. Please be gentle. I'm looking to purchase an 09 CTS -V. That's why I ...
    cjwolverine is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

09 CTS-V Test Drive

Hi all, it's my first post. Please be gentle. I'm looking to purchase an 09 CTS -V. That's why I joined the forum to gather info (although I'm 90% decided). Here is my problem..

I spoke with 2 different dealers in my area today and they both had next to zero info on pricing and options. They also told me that they don't even get to drive the car so therefore I would not be able to test drive one because anything they had coming in was already sold. But they were both happy to take my order.

Do you guys really buy cars this way? without a test drive? Now I'm a well qualified buyer and I'm not looking for a free joy ride. I actually plan on purchasing the car when my Audi lease is up in a couple of months, but I would like to be sure before laying out $65k. My last couple of cars have been German and I'm ready to go back to domestic and the V is my choice, but I'd like to have some idea of what I'm buying. I want to compare it with what I'm used to. Specs on a fact sheet are great, but if I'm not comfortable or don't like the feel of the car then I may simple just not like it.

Both dealers I spoke with acted very aloof like I was asking quite a bit to test drive a car I plan to buy. Is this the norm? If they really expect me to purchase the car without a test, then I guess they've lost a sale. Is there some sort of secret Caddy code word or handshake that I don't know? I'm confused.

cj

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

LV_V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Evo Green V Coupe - 6MT

Re: 09 CTS-V Test Drive

Yesterday I asked my local dealer when the 09 CTS-V is going to be available and they said it didn't start production until mid-December. They also said that each of their salesmen already had lists of buyers and it would be months before I could even see one, let alone order one. I am sure glad they are trying hard to make a sale

I think its quite obvious why GM is going down in flames...

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

My dealership only plans on getting V's in that have been purchased so there will be no test drives. The owner no longer feels he should stock high end cars on his lot that will sit there for months without serious buyers while he eats the cost. They learned that lesson from the past V series models and other models. People wanted to test drive more than they wanted to buy.
    Oh yeah, the V driving event being held this weekend was they way to get a test drive.

Quote Originally Posted by dqw1 View Post
    My dealership only plans on getting V's in that have been purchased so there will be no test drives. The owner no longer feels he should stock high end cars on his lot that will sit there for months without serious buyers while he eats the cost. They learned that lesson from the past V series models and other models. People wanted to test drive more than they wanted to buy.
    Oh yeah, the V driving event being held this weekend was they way to get a test drive.

It looks like I'm not the only one. I didn't get an invitation to the event in NY and I couldn't go this weekend even if I did. I'm not very comfortable buying something like this blind.

Just when I was ready to come back to buying American my first experience is already a downer. They do all of the marketing to convince me to make the change and they produce a world class vehicle to compete with what I've been previously buying and now I can't even buy one. I cannot imagine a company being so bad that they burn through 2.5 billion per month last quarter. But now I can see how they might accomplish it. Get it together GM! The next generation Audi or BMW will probably trump the V anyway. It's reign at the top will probably last about 6 months. Maybe its a sign that I shouldn't buy this car?

Kudos to you fellas with the confidence to buy a car based on a bunch of internet brochures. I still need to see it, touch it, try it, before I buy it. If anyone knows a dealership willing to sell a car with some straight answers on options, pricing, and delivery dates, please let me know.

ExtraV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I can tell buying new, limited production cars as soon as they hit the showrooms is not for you. You should move along to something else and come back in a year. Dealers will have a demo or used one on the lot by then.

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

You can buy one. There are some supporting vendors on this site (Cadillac Tony is one) that might be able to help you out but you would need to talk with them directly.

Ketzer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): aintgotnarn

CJ,
    I think things at the dealers will change a lot once the car is out, and you've got a couple months anyway. Look how many super rare GT-Rs there are on ebay right now, there were a ton at SEMA. Don't fret about all the bs they are talking right now. Most don't know any more about cars than my cat. That being said, there are dealers that post often on here that ARE passionate about their job. If our dealer cannot earn our business, we may fly to Florida.

We rented a new regular CTS for a week in Vegas to get the "feel" of the car. I recommend this, then you know if you like the fit/finish and handling of the car. The V will be twice as nice.

Jeff-

offsight204 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Not only with you is going to be a problem with a few people..

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by ExtraV View Post
    I can tell buying new, limited production cars as soon as they hit the showrooms is not for you. You should move along to something else and come back in a year. Dealers will have a demo or used one on the lot by then.
    Exactly! Come on guys, you're complaining about a car that's not even at the showroom yet.

When I bought my '04 new, I was given a deal. I got mine for sticker but no test drive. Some guys were paying $10G above sticker on the west coast. And why should my dealer allow test drives if they were selling their early allocation without the risk of one?

Do you think that if you asked to test drive a Malibu or Escalade you wouldn't get one? Of course not. Right now, all the early ones will be sold without a problem. Yet, there will be dealerships out there that will have test drives, you've just got to find them. But don't come here with this crap that the reason the American auto industry is losing billions of $$$ each quarter because they don't allow test drives for just released specialty cars. Do you realize how stupid that sounds?

If you want to test drive the new V before buying it, make a lot of calls. Or wait a few months. Your "lost" sale will be mopped up by a lot of eager buyers...

And take my word for it, unless you're kooky with weird tastes, the V is a slam dunk, home run, touchdown and hat trick all rolled into one...

noelvm is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I never drove my Gen II Lightning and neither did most of the people that bought them. They came in, went to the showroom floor, were sold and delivered.

When they came out in 99 I wanted a red one bad. I found one in Houston and they wanted 5K over window sticker. I sold my Gen 1 and delivered it at the dealership where the gen II was. The salesman was watching me as I unloaded my stuff and got a cashiers check.

I walked up to him and said "If you think you are going to get 5K over window out of me, just call me a cab. We finally settled on 1K over window. So I'm in the Finance office, hey "Don't you have some blank forms I can just sign so I can get out of here??

I got the truck at 3:30. Rush hour traffic in Houston. The last thing they said was don't floor it when you make the right turn leaving here because it will swap ends.

It was at least 20 minutes before I found an opening on the freeway to floor it.
    Weeeeeeeehaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!!!!!! It made my _______ hard. What a truck!!!!! I still have it.

Test drive?????????????????????? Just deliver the car, give me the damn keys and get out of my way!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noelvm
    "Drive it like you stole it!"

Thanks guys all good advice. I do have some time, so I'll wait. And just too be clear I know the american auto industry problem much more than "not allowing test drives" . Yes I know how stupid that sounds and that's not what I said. It was just another example of a much deeper problem.

Read between the lines. It is an attitude, a perception, a lack of service. When someone calls to inquire about a car over $60k you don't give them a take it or leave it attitude. If I was not buying a car TODAY the salemen had no interest in speaking with me or even giving me a heads up on when I may be able to get my hands on one. Am I wrong to expect a bit of service? The foreign car dealers in my area will bend over backwards, drive a car to my office and let me have it for days at a time. They will pick up the car I purchased and drop off loners while mine is getting an oil change. I don't lift a finger. There is value to that type of service. Sometimes you time and the attention to detail is worth more than the raw horsepower one car produces over another. The attitude I have received thus far was, "Buy it now or stop wasting my time". Where is the sales in salesman?

My comment about GM losing money was because they don't do things right. They don't do a lot of things right, not just offering test drives on a new and exciting, limited production vehicle.

I still love the car (at least what I've read about the car, because it looks like I can't see one, until I buy one). Don't get me wrong, but my return to the american car is putting the same taste in my mouth as when I left. All the reasons I stopped buying them years ago seem to still be there. They have done some excellent marketing and made great strides in quality, design, excitement, etc. But when I go to the dealer I feel like nothing has changed and the marketing is just a smoke screen for the same old crap. I hope I'm wrong and will probably still buy the car. I'll just have to wait my turn, I guess. My company didn't loose 2.5 billion a month last quarter and our business model is exactly the opposite of american auto manufacturing.

I've learned more on this forum in a few days than I expect many sales people know. I know there are reputable dealers out there. I may have to travel a bit to find one. My local dealers have made it clear that they really aren't interested.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by cjwolverine View Post
    The foreign car dealers in my area will bend over backwards, drive a car to my office and let me have it for days at a time. They will pick up the car I purchased and drop off loners while mine is getting an oil change. I don't lift a finger. There is value to that type of service. Sometimes you time and the attention to detail is worth more than the raw horsepower one car produces over another. The attitude I have received thus far was, "Buy it now or stop wasting my time". Where is the sales in salesman?
    The problem is as much with the American consumer as anything else. Those foreign dealers raked you over the coals with the purchase price of the vehicle. They don't do discounts and they definitely don't do rebates or "employee pricing".

GM is making world beating vehicles right now. But they have to deal with an American public that feels ripped off if they don't get a bevy of deals and cuts to get closer to "invoice". It's all a huge game right now. Add the economy issues and how can domestic auto-makers treat you the way I know they'd LOVE to treat you...

Dr Chill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS, 03 Z06 LS2 408 track car, 07 Q7 tow vehicle

It's not a foreign vs domestic issue. It's an individual dealership thing. My local BMW and MB dealerships are ok selling, but service sucks. The local Ford, Chevy and Caddy dealerships are better. If you look hard enough in January or so, there will be unsold CTS-V's to be test driven. If you live in a less populated area, you might have to travel to drive one, but they'll be there. It is not a very limited production vehicle like the ZR1.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    The problem is as much with the American consumer as anything else. Those foreign dealers raked you over the coals with the purchase price of the vehicle. They don't do discounts and they definitely don't do rebates or "employee pricing".

GM is making world beating vehicles right now. But they have to deal with an American public that feels ripped off if they don't get a bevy of deals and cuts to get closer to "invoice". It's all a huge game right now. Add the economy issues and how can domestic auto-makers treat you the way I know they'd LOVE to treat you...
    For the record I made a few more calls and I think I found a sales department I can deal with. I sat down with the manager and he was very upfront with what he had ordered, when he expected them etc. etc.

Now to address the pricing issue above... I happen to appreciate a price being set and that is it. The american consumer is not to blame here. It is so frustrating to haggle till you are blue in the face and feel you are getting ripped off. There are $8500 rebates on Denalis right now. How pissed off would you be if you purchased a Denali last month at MSRP. Every single person knows that every single car has so much room in it for rebate, discount, employee pricing etc. that we do expect it now, because the CAR MAKERS offered it. The foreign companies don't offer it and we don't expect it. It is an amazing exercise in supply and demand. I won't go into the details, because it is so elementary to anyone on this forum. Do not say it is the consumer's fault GM can't sell cars. When I walk onto a lot and see hundreds of cars with dust on them and a salesman tells me how hot they are selling and we need to start negotiating at MSRP I can only chuckle. Hell yeah I expect a rebate and employee pricing because the car maker has a proven track record of offering it every couple of months.

I also know that supply and demand is working against me for the new V. I can't seem to find one that isn't spoken for already. I didn't want to test drive someone else's car they had ordered. I wouldn't want someone driving mine either. I was purely asking if I was the only one who had run into this. Then the discussion turned to how poorly sales staff is willing to treat people. Then we got to talking about foreign and domestic. I don't want to have a foreign vs. domestic debate. I'm only sharing MY experience thus far.

I know GM is making world beaters and with the V (or the regular CTS or STS) they have brought me back around. Like I said before, I'm still going to buy the car, I just want a little service to go with it and I really must see it, feel it, touch it etc. And like I said earlier, I think I found a reputable dealer finally!

Dualcams34 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

We are building the V's at this time. There are about 200 of them in a storage area at the assembly plant. The lead engineering folks have not blessed this car for launch at this time and all the cars are on hold at least for 1 more week.
    We are building 2000 of them before the end of the year

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.