Eh, I've changed my mind on the '09 V...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Eh, I've changed my mind on the '09 V... in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So I know a lot of you will probably drag the cursor over the title to scour what the topic ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Eh, I've changed my mind on the '09 V...

So I know a lot of you will probably drag the cursor over the title to scour what the topic will be about before opening. Well, I hate to ruin it for you guys but you'll have to actually open this topic...

So I got to drive a new CTS-V at Monticello Motor Club today. And it was still wet even though the rain held off. OldRoadDawg was awesome enough to send me an invite and it was a fun time. But about the CTS-V.

Yeah, I don't want the manual.

Because the automatic royally kicks ass. Seriously. I mean, I've driven car rentals that had el cheapo manumatic shifting and I don't know why. I mean, what's the point?

I've always been harping on manual shifting but really, I just want full control and I thought I'd have to wait for a Ferrari type 2 pedal shift. But the CTS-V automatic is very good. VERY good. we took the CTS-V on the North course. We started with regular CTSs on a tiny loop and that was a good warm-up. Our last sessions were with XLR-Vs on a bigger loop and I must say, I really enjoyed how lively those cars were. The power was excellent even if the manumatic feature wasn't as good as the CTS-V.

As for how the new CTS-V drives, it's true you deal feel the added heft when behind the wheel at first. But the car just grips and grips in the corners. I had 2 very nice women in the V who each drove 2 laps first, with an instructor in the front passenger street. 1 lap to practice and then 1 at higher speeds. When it was my turn, the ladies decided to step out and it was myself and the instructor. Since I could see the track first, i got some good speed on warmup and the instructor trusted me to dig deep. On the backstretch of the North course, I was deep into 4th and we waited until the last second to brake...and it was still not late enough. Those huge brakes will make the V1s brakes look inferior. And that's saying something.

After the frontstraight, you have a tight right uphill with a very tight left-right to a long, sweeping righthander. The V was very turnable and even tossable through that quick S. And the V is indeed sneaky fast. It's one thing to say it, it's another thing to feel it. It's a definitive departure from the thrust and hard visceral edge of the V1, but this V is going to appeal to gearheads and the casual funseeker. With R-compounds and more aggressive pads, I can't imagine.

The V is good enough that I'd think long and hard of trading in the V1 if it came down to that.

And the throttle blip on the automatic will make anyone look like Andy Pilgrim. You'd have to be a master of heel and toe to even come close. When I told Andy I may have to forego the ego and get an automatic, he said I should. And he said he would do the same, as well. High praise if I do say so.

Monticello is an uber first-class facility and it's not even fully built yet. Their temporary clubhouses put to shame most track's permanent ones. I don't think I would say it's as good as VIR for track layout but it's close. And the facilities will blow VIR away when finished. And maybe they'll have signs for the track. They don't yet. And it was a bitch to find.

I had to get up at 3AM to make it down in time this morning. And I'm tired now. But man, was it ever worth it! Thanks again OldRoadDawg!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Thumbs up Re: Eh, I've changed my mind on the '09 V...

Thanks for the review, I'm looking forward to a test drive in the next few weeks.

It sounds like the 6spd in the V is vastly superior to the one in the regular CTS that I have. Although everyone that reviews it is driving it on a track and not on regular roads... I hate the way the torque converter locks and unlocks abruptly. After a medium-hard stop to around 1 or 2 mph it's rough and throttle tip in is very abrupt when I'm rolling around at a few mph. Even if I would drive around a track faster with the auto, I just can't buy it if it doesn't have the locked in feeling that you get with a manual.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: Eh, I've changed my mind on the '09 V...

Great write up, Jim.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Vrocks View Post
    Thanks for the review, I'm looking forward to a test drive in the next few weeks.

It sounds like the 6spd in the V is vastly superior to the one in the regular CTS that I have. Although everyone that reviews it is driving it on a track and not on regular roads... I hate the way the torque converter locks and unlocks abruptly. After a medium-hard stop to around 1 or 2 mph it's rough and throttle tip in is very abrupt when I'm rolling around at a few mph. Even if I would drive around a track faster with the auto, I just can't buy it if it doesn't have the locked in feeling that you get with a manual.
    I wish I could've driven the manual to compare and gotten to drive the automatic in lazy, around town mode to find that out.

But on the track, it's a killer!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    Great write up, Jim.
    It took me forever to get the excited babble into congruent sentences...

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

James,

Welcome to the slushy dark side. We're glad you came over!

LawFive

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Bah Slushy Sissy

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

Nice to the comparison from a current owner, Jim.

Remember too that you don't drive a stock V1.

Norm

readyact is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Thank for the reviews guys. Funny thing is I used to live in White Plains and Yonkers in Weschester County, NY, but I moved back to Ohio in 2005. Would have been fun to take the short drive up and took the Vs around the track. Oh well guess I'll have to wait until mine is delivered.

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I don't have a lot to add to what Jim posted. I wish now that I had chosen the auto to drive for the experience, but the manual shifts VERY smooth.

Brakes.... Dang they haul that beast down fast - and that was with 3 of us in there.

You guys that are taking delivery soon are going to love the GenII. So tight and refined... and then you get on it and you can't believe how quickly it takes you to the next turn in the track... or restaurant, soccer game or whatever.

A very, very impressive product that Cadillac is producing.

The XLR-V's were a hoot. I jumped in with the instructor in the trail car after Jim and I did our laps. I asked him to show me the best line. That was an eye-opening experience, considering that he was doing it while steering with one hand, while gesturing and pointing out the turn-in cones in the horizon with the other hand, while talking a mile-a-minute about loading the suspension, comparing that track to some others,etc. and talking on the radio to the lead car. And doing it all just as smooth as silk.

We even got a cool pull-over 'V' jacket as a parting gift. All the personnel there treated us great. Beautiful facility. A great day.

Gotta go have another glass of wine, mellow out and start calculating the days until I can stretch the budget to include a V2.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Man, I shouldn't have read this.

$62K - $6K GMS - $2K rebate - $10K trade the tahoe = $44K net price. Oh this is bad.

jimbo1320 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2010

Just got back from Monticello and had a blast. I also signed up for the Auto. They really let us put the "V" to the test, saw 118 on the back strech though my guest hit 120, nice. The XLR was sidways a couple of times, I just don't know why. My passenger was ready to bail. The day was a blast, Thanks Cadillac.
    As far a general info about the "V". I was told the pricing for the automatic will be out next week but expect to pay between $500 and $1000 more than the stick because of the gas guzzler tax.

I hope you enjoy the pictures.
    Attached Images

SvB4EvA is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac CTS 3.6L Black, LOADED

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    It took me forever to get the excited babble into congruent sentences...
    haha!!!! i knew when i read the title of the thread you had to be lying!!! it did kind of gimme a quick scare at first tho

i cant wait till Sunday!

offsight204 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    Man, I shouldn't have read this.

$62K - $6K GMS - $2K rebate - $10K trade the tahoe = $44K net price. Oh this is bad.

is not to late for me ..lol... care to tell me where i cant get a deal like this for me??

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by offsight204 View Post
    is not to late for me ..lol... care to tell me where i cant get a deal like this for me??
    The toughest part is you have to be GMS eligible (directly related to a GM employee or retiree). Then find a dealer willing to honor GMS, with the economy the way it is, many are. The $2,000 rebate is through 1/5/09 I believe. The rest is pretty straight forward.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.