Option updates (including gas guzzler tax) - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Option updates (including gas guzzler tax) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; My RS4 struggles to hit 18mpg, and take in mind that the gallon here is bigger than in the USA, ...
    Varsity is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Option updates (including gas guzzler tax)

My RS4 struggles to hit 18mpg, and take in mind that the gallon here is bigger than in the USA, an extra 5th I believe.

So I cant see the V being better than that, even our 3.6 CTS struggles to get 22mpg combined on gas, but with LPG at 1/2 price the cost of gasoline we really are 'cooking on gas!' (LPG).

gotapex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Alas, none yet

Quote Originally Posted by Varsity View Post
    My RS4 struggles to hit 18mpg, and take in mind that the gallon here is bigger than in the USA, an extra 5th I believe.

So I cant see the V being better than that, even our 3.6 CTS struggles to get 22mpg combined on gas, but with LPG at 1/2 price the cost of gasoline we really are 'cooking on gas!' (LPG).

My wife struggles to get 11mpg (US gallons) on her 06 BMW M5. That means that on average, the first low-gas warning light turns on at around 130-150 miles on the tank, and she needs to refill by 170-180 miles.

She's not even the worst, some drivers on the M5board get as low as 8mpg.

By that benchmark, the CTS-V is doing very well.

jashearer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 2006 ESV

Also remember that Tony mentioned how the combined MPG is calculated for guzzler tax in that its all done on a treadmill with no wind resistance...

At least that's how I read it. That can make a huge difference as he also pointed out.

Jay

jkviper is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I just picked up a Jaguar XF Supercharged I ordered back in August. I really liked the CTS V, but needed more leg, head and shoulder room and wanted Active Cruise Control.

Anyway, the Jag is estimated at 16 City and 23 Highway and there was no gas guzzler tax on the Sticker, according to Tony's post there should have been.

So far after the third tank of gas I am averaging 21 mpg averaging 44mph which is probably 75% highway. Not too bad for a 4200 lbs car with 420 horsepower.

jimbo1320 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2010

Thanks Toney for keeping us abreast on options etc. Ahh more choices. I also looked up the gas guzzeler tax on line and after I ran the formula I came up with $2600. I used 13 mpg city and 19 hwy as a starting point which yelded a overal 17.64 mpg putting it at level 5 or $2600. If of course I used the formula correctly.

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Reading, reading, oh so fun! Reading is for everyone!

One post above yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by jkviper View Post
    Anyway, the Jag is estimated at 16 City and 23 Highway and there was no gas guzzler tax on the Sticker, according to Tony's post there should have been.

So far after the third tank of gas I am averaging 21 mpg averaging 44mph which is probably 75% highway. Not too bad for a 4200 lbs car with 420 horsepower.
    And two posts above yours.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo1320 View Post
    Thanks Toney for keeping us abreast on options etc. Ahh more choices. I also looked up the gas guzzeler tax on line and after I ran the formula I came up with $2600. I used 13 mpg city and 19 hwy as a starting point which yelded a overal 17.64 mpg putting it at level 5 or $2600. If of course I used the formula correctly.
    But what do we have here?
    Quote Originally Posted by jashearer View Post
    Also remember that Tony mentioned how the combined MPG is calculated for guzzler tax in that its all done on a treadmill with no wind resistance...

At least that's how I read it. That can make a huge difference as he also pointed out.

Jay

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Okay, I totally burned myself on an assumption there. My training course said "level 3" for the CTS-V, and I started counting at the first level where there's a charge. Apparently they consider "no charge" level 1, because the official number is $1,300 guzzler tax, not $1,700.

Whoops for me, but good news in the end!
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by gotapex View Post
    My wife struggles to get 11mpg (US gallons) on her 06 BMW M5. That means that on average, the first low-gas warning light turns on at around 130-150 miles on the tank, and she needs to refill by 170-180 miles.
    My old E39 M5 averages 17mpg. Our C5 Audi S6 Avant averages 17mpg. My wife's E39 540iA averages 17mpg. Think we're in a rut?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    Okay, I totally burned myself on an assumption there. My training course said "level 3" for the CTS-V, and I started counting at the first level where there's a charge. Apparently they consider "no charge" level 1, because the official number is $1,300 guzzler tax, not $1,700.

Whoops for me, but good news in the end!
    Wasn't there an omission of a gas guzzler tax on the '04 due to production numbers, or something like that? I know I didn't pay a GG tax, but I don't know why...

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Wasn't there an omission of a gas guzzler tax on the '04 due to production numbers, or something like that? I know I didn't pay a GG tax, but I don't know why...
    There wasn't one in 04 and 06, but in 05 and 07. Not sure the reason for the difference.

jimbo1320 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2010

I thought the 04 was exempt because it was a mid year release. The 06 I don't know. Numbers for the 04 were half what the 06 and 05 were.

gotapex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Alas, none yet

Quote Originally Posted by JEM View Post
    My old E39 M5 averages 17mpg. Our C5 Audi S6 Avant averages 17mpg. My wife's E39 540iA averages 17mpg. Think we're in a rut?

LOL, yes indeed. However, that's a good step better than my non-rut. Besides that 11mpg BMW, we've got a 12mpg SUV, a 13mpg car, and 17mpg car. This Caddy may end up being the best of the bunch.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.