Option updates (including gas guzzler tax) - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Option updates (including gas guzzler tax) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ...
    readyact is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V

Re: Option updates (including gas guzzler tax)

Dual and Tony keep the great info coming you guys are great. Personally I want the track package and I can wait on the wood inserts. I figure there will be a couple of accessory shops that will make the interior inserts including real carbon fiber or different colors, but pulling up next to someone with the V badge and performance RED BREMBO calipers…priceless.

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    According to my latest information, both the Track brake package (with red calipers and two-piece front rotors) as well as the double black stained Sapele wood trim will be available in December.

As far as the Guzzler tax, there's been quite a bit of speculation. The final verdict is Level 3 ($1,700). For comparison, the M5 is a level 7 ($3,700). For anyone curious how the EPA decides this, here's the table:

Thanks for the update Tony and Dual!

Tony, what is your source for ggt level? Got to run you through FACT CHECK . ORG.

"The fuel economy figures used to determine the Gas Guzzler Tax are different from the fuel economy values provided on this web site and in the Fuel Economy Guide. The tax does not depend on your actual on-the-road mpg, which may be more or less than the EPA published value."
    - http://www.fueleconomy.gov/FEG/info.shtml#guzzler

"The total amount of the tax is determined later and is based on the total number of gas guzzler vehicles that were sold that year. It is assessed after production has ended for the model year and is paid by the vehicle manufacturer or importer."
    -http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzler/420f06042.htm

Better add a couple hundred bucks.

Norm

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The source of the table is here: http://www.epa.gov/fueleconomy/guzzl....htm#calculate. The Guzzler tax is based on a different set of (higher) numbers than those displayed on the window:

Quote Originally Posted by EPA Web Site
    EPA conducts fuel economy tests in a laboratory on a dynamometer (a device similar to a treadmill). Laboratory conditions can be different from real world conditions for such parameters as vehicle speeds, acceleration rates, driving patterns, ambient temperatures, fuel type, tire pressure, wind resistance, etc. EPA studies indicate that vehicles driven by typical drivers under typical road conditions get approximately 90 percent of the laboratory test-based city miles per gallon (mpg) value and approximately78 percent of laboratory highway mpg value. This difference is referred to as “in-use shortfall.” To account for the in-use shortfall, the city and highway mpg values listed in Fuel Economy Guide and shown on fuel economy labels are multiplied by 0.90 for the city test and 0.78 for the highway test. However, the combined city and highway fuel economy that is used to determine tax liability is not adjusted to account for in-use shortfall, so it is higher than the mpg values provided in the Fuel Economy Guide (www.fueleconomy.gov) and posted on the window stickers of new vehicles.

The source of the information that the 2009 CTS-V carries a level 3 tax ($1,700) is directly from Cadillac, so I know it's correct.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

It's also worth noting that the .78 and .90 correction factors were only added by the EPA in the last few years when they came under criticism for the public perception that their estimated MPG numbers were too high. This is the same public that (for the most part) drives on under-inflated tires and doesn't properly maintain their cars, so now the numbers have gone from one extreme to the other.

Case in point: The 2003 DTS had an EPA estimated 28mpg highway, which most of my customers achieved on trips. Along came the correction factor, and now the 2009 DTS with the same weight and powertrain has an EPA estimated 23mpg highway, which is far less than it actually gets. A lot of people who are trading '03s ask me "Why does this one not get the mileage my old one does?", and I then have to explain the convoluted process the EPA uses to "guess" what mileage you're going to achieve- The EPA is now basically assuming that you're not going to properly inflate your tires or service your car, but they leave themselves an out: The tiny numbers below their guessed "average". It looks like this:

23MPG

"Mileage will range between 19mpg and 27mpg"

The whole system is pretty silly and flawed, especially in how they present it to the consumer.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Florian is offline crushing Vs with my Wurm
    Automobile(s): 2013 GT500 - 700+ HP

Quote Originally Posted by urbanski View Post
    tony and dual, ROCK ON GUYS!
    +1, thanks to both of youz!

F

Flyboy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

This new V is gonna' be "V"antastic!!!!!!

rofl
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

bruff1977 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): None

Happy to hear the wood is available, Tony. I hope it's similar to the wood in the STS-Vs. Now on to bugging my dealer about changing my order in include the wood...

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Sorry I didn't have time to read all the posts. I was just so excited to see the new inferno red interior treatment. Looks awesome!!!!

This may be the best pic I've seen of the black wood...

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

GM would be optimistic for 20 mpg combined. That is why I questioned it. Allot of current V owners would love to 20 combined with 150 HP and 400-500 lbs less!

Dts use reg unleaded now as opposed to premium in early models?

Norm

gotapex is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Alas, none yet

Quote Originally Posted by bruff1977 View Post
    Sorry folks, here's the pic...

Great pictures, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by bruff1977 View Post
    Nice find- that's the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by NormV View Post
    Dts use reg unleaded now as opposed to premium in early models?

87 octane since model year 2000.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

HPCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Taken at face value, level 3 seems to map more closely to the regular CTS combined MPG. What I was expecting from the V was more along the lines of the E63 AMG: around 13/20 for a combined of around 15. Of course I hope I'm wrong...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.