V1 vs. V2 headlights - something worth quibbling about
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, V1 vs. V2 headlights - something worth quibbling about in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; As someone who's lovingly stuck with the V1 (but admittedly drooling over the V2) something occurred to me the other ...
    razl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2006 Cadillac CTS-V Light Platinum

V1 vs. V2 headlights - something worth quibbling about

As someone who's lovingly stuck with the V1 (but admittedly drooling over the V2) something occurred to me the other day...

On the V1, the low beams are at the top of the headlights and highs are at the bottom, on the V2 it's reversed (I'm presuming the arrangement of the V2 are the same as the 09CTS).

I definitely like the V1 better because the arrangement just seems more unique, those HIDs being right at the top of the hood just look menacing at night. (The only other vertical stack I can think of is the prev gen G35, and I think those were the same arrangement).

Why would they have reversed them for V2?

Maybe I'm just consoling myself psychologically with reasons to keep loving my V1 in the face of the coming V2....

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: V1 vs. V2 headlights - something worth quibbling about

Quote Originally Posted by razl View Post

Maybe I'm just consoling myself psychologically with reasons to keep loving my V1 in the face of the coming V2....

I think you're right.

There's several differences between the Sigma and Sigma2 CTS headlights, mainly that the new ones are Bi-Xenon, and use the same bulb for high and low beams (a motorized reflector in them changes the angle). The new headlights also turn up to 15 degrees with the steering at night, looking through the apex of a corner before you enter it, which is really neat.

From a cosmetic standpoint, I assume that they moved the bulb to the bottom of the housing to reduce the "tall" look of the first CTS (a critique that more than one reviewer has mentioned in the new CTS articles). Which one looks better is just personal taste, but I think the new ones look awesome at night.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

The low beams on the 2004-2007 CTS-V are HID. The separate high beams are not HID (standard halogen bulbs). Cadillac Tony is correct in that the 2009 CTS-V has only one lamp for both high and low beams with the low beam results from a mechanical shutter. However, I don't think the 2009 CTS-V lamp is halogen. It is HID as it was in the 2004-2007 CTS-V series.

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by tedcmiller View Post
    The low beams on the 2004-2007 CTS-V are HID. The separate high beams are not HID (standard halogen bulbs). Cadillac Tony is correct in that the 2009 CTS-V has only one lamp for both high and low beams with the low beam results from a mechanical shutter. However, I don't think the 2009 CTS-V lamp is halogen. It is HID as it was in the 2004-2007 CTS-V series.
    Im lost. Noone said the new V would have halogens? Theyre bi-xenon...

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Xenon is a halogen gas. The 2008 CTS-V does not use a halogen bulb with a tungsten filament for the headlamps. The 2004-2007 CTS-V always had HID low beams. The new CTS-V will have HIDs also, but there will be only one lamp with the low beam being produced by a mechanical shutter. The standard CTS might use non-HIDs. As an example, earlier STSs had a headlamp that outwardly appeared to be an HID, but was actually a halogen bulb with a tungsten filament.

HPCC is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Xenon is actually a "noble" or "inert" gas that is ionized by the electric arc in an HID capsule; traces of Iodine, Bromine compounds, etc. make up the "halogens" in a halogen lamp.

Quote Originally Posted by tedcmiller View Post
    Xenon is a halogen gas. The 2008 CTS-V does not use a halogen bulb with a tungsten filament for the headlamps. The 2004-2007 CTS-V always had HID low beams. The new CTS-V will have HIDs also, but there will be only one lamp with the low beam being produced by a mechanical shutter. The standard CTS might use non-HIDs. As an example, earlier STSs had a headlamp that outwardly appeared to be an HID, but was actually a halogen bulb with a tungsten filament.
    Youre sorta right here. But HID systems do use xenon gas. HID bulbs contain xenon gas and metal salts. An electric arc ignites xenon gas very quickly, which gives off some light before the metal salts ionize and produce the really bright light. This is why typical HID systems look like they take 1 or 2 seconds to light up fully.
    Technically these are metal halide lamps, but its common to call them xenon bulbs in the car industry. MErcedes uses a similar setup, like the 09 V, and still call it bi-xenon.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

You're both wrong- Xenon gas is actually from the planet Xeno, and creates light when microscopic alien nanomachines are activated by the stalk mounted lever inside the car.

Seriously.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

So why doesn't the 2009 CTS-V come with a collector dish to gather trace particles of xenon gas to keep the navigational sensor array... I mean the headlights charged? You'd expect that on a $70K car, right?

What a ripoff. I'm buying an M5.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    ..alien nanomachines...
    Would these nanomachines clean my kitchen before the woman gets home? Im allready in trouble...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.