Haha- Washington Times CTS-V Review
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Haha- Washington Times CTS-V Review in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; An overall glowing review. The opening quote made me laugh out loud: Originally Posted by Washington Times In an effort ...
    Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Haha- Washington Times CTS-V Review

An overall glowing review. The opening quote made me laugh out loud:

Quote Originally Posted by Washington Times
    In an effort to duplicate the sensation of tromping on the accelerator of the new Cadillac CTS-V, you could set your hair on fire and throw yourself from the roof of a 20-story building. Yep, it's that exhilarating.

Full review HERE
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Thumbs up Re: Haha- Washington Times CTS-V Review

Silverspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: Haha- Washington Times CTS-V Review

Where can you buy an M5 for $83,900?

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Probably last years sticker or something.

MacOSR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Silverspeed View Post
    Any BMW dealer

Quote Originally Posted by Silverspeed View Post
    Also, all year long you have been able to get about $8k off any M5 or M6 you wanted to order. Sometimes you would have to push the dealer but a loaded M5 that stickers for $95k would come in around $86-$87k.

Just keep in mind that this base $84,000 M5 comes stripped with no navigation, no parking sensors, no satellite radio, no ipod hookups, etc, etc...... I won't bother to list it all again, but BMWs and MBs make everything optional. Other than Nav, Microfiber steering wheel, Recaros, polished wheels and a sunroof, then CTS-V is pretty loaded even in base trim. All the BMW options like adaptive headlights, hard drive radio, 19" wheels and automatic with paddle shifters are included on the $60k CTS-V.

A loaded CTS-V to a loaded M5 is about a $25k-$28k savings.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

StuJac is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 DTS Lux III

Automobile Magazine also had a very positive review of the new V. I want one so bad. It looks as great as it performs.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    Just keep in mind that this base $84,000 M5 comes stripped with no navigation, no parking sensors, no satellite radio, no ipod hookups, etc, etc...... I won't bother to list it all again, but BMWs and MBs make everything optional. Other than Nav, Microfiber steering wheel, Recaros, polished wheels and a sunroof, then CTS-V is pretty loaded even in base trim. All the BMW options like adaptive headlights, hard drive radio, 19" wheels and automatic with paddle shifters are included on the $60k CTS-V.

The M5 does come with many of the things you have outlined as options...maybe these things were in the GM salesman's brochure ;-). Not trying to say an M5 is a comparable car that is $25k more because they are different cars. But, if someone is going to compare them they really should actually look at both and see what the real options are for themselves. If you just want a CTS-V then buy one. But, if you want to truly compare the two then you really should. The build quality and overall quality of the M5 is completely different. But again, people should judge for themselves.

The options on an M5 other then HUD and radio options are luxury type options not even available on the CTS-V. A fully loaded M5 (speced to be comparable to a CTS-V) is in the upper $80's. Now, start adding some luxury leather (not the standard leather), heated steering wheel, luxury seats, power sunshades, soft close doors, comfort access, etc and you will be in the $90's.

Just wanted to make sure that you knew that a loaded M5 is completely different then a loaded CTS-V. They are different cars.

So a similarly loaded 09 M5 could be had for $80k plus tax with what dealers are selling them for right now. We really don't know what the CTS-V will cost yet. Most are guessing $60 or low $60's plus options. So, the reality is that there is about a $15k difference between an 09 M5 and an 09 CTS-V.

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post

PS - If I do get a 2010 CTS-V Tony I will probably come to you... I appreciate your enthusiasm for it ;-)

First off, I appreciate your response being level headed. Most people fly off the handle and accuse me of being "brainwashed" as soon as I point out competitive differences . I learn 90% of what I know because I'm a car nut first, salesman second- the Caddy training literature rarely tells me something I don't already know from reading about and driving my competition.

I know that M5 offers some things that the CTS-V doesn't (like HD radio and sunshades), but almost all the things I mentioned are options on the M5 (I was thinking of the 3 when I said navigation and park sensors). For a base price of $85,925, here are a list of things you have to pay extra for that are standard on the CTS-V:

-Satellite radio: $595
    -iPod hookup w/USB: $400
    -Comfort Access (keyless unlock and start): $1,000

So for comparison's sake, getting the M5 to the same standard equipment level as the CTS-V requires another $1,995 in options, which brings the total to $87,920- that's approximately $28,000 more than the Cadillac, which is a lot of spare change. If I had 90 grand to blow on cars, I'd rather buy a 2009 CTS-V and either a Cooper S or Cobalt SS than one M5. I know there are people that disagree, but if two cars are $28,000 apart in price, the more expensive one ought to be a much more impressive piece- the M5 is not.

I know that each one has certain features the other doesn't, but I still find the fact that they make common features like Satellite radio and keyless start optional on an $86,000 car to be ridiculous.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

JEM
    JEM is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by MacOSR View Post
    The M5 does come with many of the things you have outlined as options...
    Yes, it does.

The build quality and overall quality of the M5 is completely different. But again, people should judge for themselves.
    It's different, but I wouldn't say it's completely different (he says, having now replaced two window regulators in the spousal E39 540i and looking at the window moldings on his M5 that disintegrate from solar UV faster than any substance previously known to man...)

The new CTS is considerably better than the last one, and you could argue that BMW material quality has drifted downhill a bit since the E30/E32/E34 days. And, of course, the E60 and E65 dash and overall interior desigh are awful; the E90/92 was a step back in the right direction and they're getting better again, but the current CTS is still better.

So a similarly loaded 09 M5 could be had for $80k plus tax with what dealers are selling them for right now. We really don't know what the CTS-V will cost yet. Most are guessing $60 or low $60's plus options. So, the reality is that there is about a $15k difference between an 09 M5 and an 09 CTS-V.
    ...but you still have that buzz-bomb V10 and the clunky SMG to deal with.

wildwhl is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I am not here, and I did not read this.

WW

Quote Originally Posted by JEM View Post
    Yes, it does.

It's different, but I wouldn't say it's completely different (he says, having now replaced two window regulators in the spousal E39 540i and looking at the window moldings on his M5 that disintegrate from solar UV faster than any substance previously known to man...)

The new CTS is considerably better than the last one, and you could argue that BMW material quality has drifted downhill a bit since the E30/E32/E34 days. And, of course, the E60 and E65 dash and overall interior desigh are awful; the E90/92 was a step back in the right direction and they're getting better again, but the current CTS is still better.

...but you still have that buzz-bomb V10 and the clunky SMG to deal with.
    I wouldn't say that the V10 in the M5/m6 is a buzz-bomb. It is one of the most advanced NA engines ever created and has many awards.

I would also say that not just the build quality of the M5 is VERY good but when there are problems BMW certainly stands behind their cars. I have also dealt with the trim pieces that are discolored and BMW is replacing them...I didn't have to argue with them. Compare that to how Caddy (corporate) treated me with my V1 CTS-V: Interior molding pieces that popped off on their own and they said that I must have done something to do it (we all know that wasn't the case); Failing diff where they blamed me until I had my local dealer show the corporate rep. the specs and that it wasn't caused by how I drove; worn out suede on my driver seat after 14 months and they blamed how I get in and out of the car; terrible wheel hop in the winter...we now know that this was a feature ;-)

Anyhow, my point is that I want to see how caddy stands behind the V2 and how the overall quality is after 12k miles.

For me, considering a V2 for next year, I wish there was a higher quality interior for materials (leather, full leather, etc). I'm not too hip on the fuzzy interior...maybe they will give me some fuzzy dice to go with it Also not too sure about the layout of the instrumentation. We will see how the interior for the 2011 M5 is laid out before making the decision. I hate to compare a 5 year old interior/car to a new one although I still like the M5 interior better.

Pounder is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I really don't care but: who is copying who?
    The CTS is trying to achieve the same level of performance, comfort, fun an quality as the M5 offers, which is at the end of it's life cycle and will be replaced in 1-2 years.
    Then BMW is going to set the new standard and all others will again start copying.
    I like the CTS-V for it's price, but nowhere is it close in quality to BMW. But that is why you pay less!!!
    What I also mis in a Cadillac is the tech toys like adaptive cruise control, front sensors and cameras, blind spot monitors etc... But maybe they have a reason not to have them as an option.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.