Will GMs current plight effect MSRP?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Will GMs current plight effect MSRP? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; So I can't think that GM wouldn't want to get every last dime out of the V2 considering the state ...
    jashearer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 2006 ESV

Will GMs current plight effect MSRP?

So I can't think that GM wouldn't want to get every last dime out of the V2 considering the state of their books.

What do you think the chances are of them trying to take a piece of the possible dealer mark-up and setting the MSRP closer to $70k?

I know most people think this would be an outrage and would cut sales immensely, but I just don't think GM can afford to not make a lot of money on this car, and it obviously won't be volume making the profits on this machine...

Jay

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Re: Will GMs current plight effect MSRP?

No . . .

caddiedrummer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

It ain't just GM's current plight. For people with deposits down like me who have lost 1/3 of their 401k in 2 weeks, I wonder how many of us will/have cancelled orders. I am teetering on canceling. I may wait this thing out. History tells me the market will improve and maybe by the time it does these things will be well below MSRP.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by caddiedrummer View Post
    It ain't just GM's current plight. For people with deposits down like me who have lost 1/3 of their 401k in 2 weeks, I wonder how many of us will/have cancelled orders. I am teetering on canceling. I may wait this thing out. History tells me the market will improve and maybe by the time it does these things will be well below MSRP.
    This I can see happening. Folks needing to wait now until the world economy stabilizes and credit markets have more flow.

StealthCTSVJJL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS V

Two sides to this, waiting might be prudent, considering the financial crisis which is going to trickle to everyones pocket at some point. However with GM, Ford and Chrysler running out of cash for 2009 and bankrupcy on the horizon, the V2's run may be short. These types of vehicles are the first they will stop producing when the sh.. hits the fan next year.

jashearer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTS-V, 2006 ESV

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    No . . .
    Ha! You seem pretty certain... I wonder how much of that certainty is based on the fact that you have a deposit down on one...

I think if they weren't still wrestling with what to do they would have released pricing a long time ago...

I'm a bean counter at the worlds largest tractor manufacturer and I can garuntee you we took every opportunity to share our raising input costs with our dealers when we were setting prices for 2009...

GM will have to do the same but they also have to add in the complexity of getting their feet back on solid ground, which is one we haven't had to face yet thankfully.

Jay

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I think GM's current financial situation and this crazy market has everything to do with them not pricing this car yet. How can you be within a month of production and not have a price??? With credit lending being tight I think all bets are off. We'll probably get an 09V and hopefully the price won't go up to high. I'm more worried about dealers trying to make up losses by marking this car way up.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Quote Originally Posted by dqw1 View Post
    I'm more worried about dealers trying to make up losses by marking this car way up.
    With tight credit and no sales, why on earth would they do that??

Vrocks is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Post Re: Will GMs current plight effect MSRP?

Demand is weak right now so pricing the car on the high side of what ever range they were considering isn't likely.

When I drive around to BMW dealerships I see alot of M3 sedans and coupes sitting on the lot. It won't be different for the V2 because it's a "fun / excess" type of vehicle. There's nothing wrong with having a fun car but when things aren't going well it's a purchase people can't make unless the price is well inside what they can afford at the time.

The leasing rates suck too... even people with over 7xx credit scores and a good paying job are having issues getting financing on cars that cost less than the V2.

Expect it to be at the low end of GMs acceptable range and sales will still be sluggish. Especially until the credit crisis subsides a little, which should happen in 2 - 3 weeks when the fed directly buys into our national banks (about a 2 - 5% purchase at a cost of between 200-300 billion). That is another key point in getting some liquidity...

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    With tight credit and no sales, why on earth would they do that??
    I've never been shocked by what some dealers do to make an extra buck. Just like Wall Street. A friend of mine went to price an 09 CTS this week and they tried to mark it up on him. He walked and he said he only been 5 minutes down the road before they called and said they would take the 2k off they marked up to make the sell. That's why they do it to see if you'll pay.

RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

"Extra" buck? If the cars aren't selling, they are making "Zero" bucks. I don't see the correlation to Wall Street, but whatever. The entire economy is in the crapper; luxury vehicles will be the least of our worries in the coming weeks.

csp3000 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 Escalade, 2010 CTS V soon... =)

Quote Originally Posted by caddiedrummer View Post
    I also took a massive hit myself in the market. I lost about 70% of what I had in the stock market. I am very lucky in some ways that my time horizon is well more then 5 years till I stop working so I didnt need to cash out of my stocks and I can ride this out. But that being said all this chaos has deff tightened up my liquidity in my money. I am the first one at Tony's dealership to get the 09 but I am starting to get worried about credit and the MSRP of the new V.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Guys, guys......seriously.

GM has already all but told every magazine and Web Site what the price of the car will be. Changing market conditions, stock values and the credit market require solutions much more grand than raising the price of one limited production car by a few thousand bucks. If anything, it's the "meat and potatoes" cars like the Aveo, Malibu, G6 and V6 CTS that sell in huge volumes that will help foot the bill for rising material costs- raising invoice on those $500-$750 x 500,000 units will generate tons more cash for GM than than an extra $5,000 to the CTS-V on a paltry 6,000 units ($375mil versus $30mil for those keeping count at home). I'm sure they'll also be leveraging some incremental price increases in China (where they're selling more cars than in the US).

Relax, everyone. The 2009 CTS-V isn't even a drop in the bucket for GM from a financial standpoint. Even if the price does go up after the first year (which is likely), people who have preordered the car or buy the first year won't be affected.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Kadonny is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Owned 3 V's, now driving a GC STR8

Quote Originally Posted by dqw1 View Post
    I've never been shocked by what some dealers do to make an extra buck. Just like Wall Street. A friend of mine went to price an 09 CTS this week and they tried to mark it up on him. He walked and he said he only been 5 minutes down the road before they called and said they would take the 2k off they marked up to make the sell. That's why they do it to see if you'll pay.

There is a big difference between some shady dealers (salesmen) and the manufacturer.

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

I am thinking about dropping 1k for some GM stock. Its super low. This is the time for some deals.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.