GM is about to miss the boat... Again - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, GM is about to miss the boat... Again in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; My boss comes from a "GM employee" family. Her uncle currently has some some sort of GM product development role, ...
    RightTurn is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: GM is about to miss the boat... Again

My boss comes from a "GM employee" family. Her uncle currently has some some sort of GM product development role, and my boss was a test driver for one of the GM development facilities while in college. I love her stories...but I digress. We were discussing the GM situation yesterday over lunch. In a recent conversation with her uncle he told her that the Volt is a LONG way off..they actually have no idea how to make it work. Can that be possible????

LV_V is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '11 Evo Green V Coupe - 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    they actually have no idea how to make it work
    No offense, but he sounds like an idiot.

Lord Cadillac is offline Cadillac Maniac
    Automobile(s): Cadillac Escalade

There are still questions in regards to how the Volt is going to work. And anyone who thinks money isn't an issue for GM (and Cadillac) needs to think again.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

Quote Originally Posted by RightTurn View Post
    My boss comes from a "GM employee" family. Her uncle currently has some some sort of GM product development role, and my boss was a test driver for one of the GM development facilities while in college. I love her stories...but I digress. We were discussing the GM situation yesterday over lunch. In a recent conversation with her uncle he told her that the Volt is a LONG way off..they actually have no idea how to make it work. Can that be possible????

The one thing that GM is really sweating is the batteries. Technically the technology needed to accomplish what they want to do does not yet exist in a production capable form, but it is close. A quantum leap in technology is not required, but a few small leaps in the next couple years will be.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by Brett View Post
    A quantum leap in technology is not required, but a few small leaps in the next couple years will be.
    Well thank goodness 2008 was a Leap Year.

Brett is offline Watching the Watchers

Hopefully they used that extra day to their benefit.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

The batteries are going to be a problem for everyone. It's always look at what's being done here and there. It's look at what this technology can do. Most of the time it's the dumb public's demand for gasoline powered cars. And how because of that all these wonderful technologies are ignored.

What the problem is is that the technology isn't feasible yet. Hybrids are great but they're a status symbol. There are few that you get the return of savings in less fuel used because of their exorbitant costs. As for hydrogen, Honda is leasing the FCX Clarity to people around Los Angeles. Why? Because that's where the holier than thou actors will prance around in them and denounce the public for continuing to drive gas guzzlers...even though it takes far more energy to produce that hydrogen than it does to make gasoline.

Way too much of today's society is force fed misinformation on energy(like that's any surprise).

c5racr1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 04 cts v

while I totally agree with yall to apoint I used toyota as an example, if you over engeneer the product form the start, you will not have the problems GM has been having with their perdormance cars. for an example If any one on the boardowned an F-body they can tell you horror stories of the rear diffs breaking, sound famuliar? I am ranting that GM needs to have these cars in the market place./ If you get time go to GM europe and holden website, those vehicles would be a absloute hit here, but what do we get? what GM thinks we deserve. who ever does their market research should be taken out back. opel had a gm version of the scion a LONG time ago, it just didne come here, Holden had a version of a lot of nice stuff but it didnt come here. yall can say what ya want about not rushing a vehicle to market, but when you take way to long to develop the vehicle, there will be no markt, so now you really have wasted a lot of money. once again I point to the SSR truck that was a total hit at all the auto shows but after taking 3 years to get it out, and by the way it too was built on an existing platform just like the new V and the camaro the market was gone, you can ask what ever you want for a vehicle but if the buyer aint motivated or passionate about it you aint going to get it. As far as the v goes 551 hp is a great number and the ring time is great but they put it out way before the vehicle and guess what by the time the vehicle gets out it will be old news, and the time will be elapsed by some other vehicle, records are made to be broken. BMW is already tooling a TT m5 v10 to beat that time. yes it will cost more but it will be avalable. I thisnk GM's favorate bed time story is the emperor's new cloths. Hey I loved my V1 when I first got it but that was 4 years ago, I am ready for something new- to spend money- and all GM has to offer me is some youtube $hit and some pictures. Yes some people have driven the new cars and say it is great, but some people have dirven F1 cars and said they are great, its still abstract to me. " they wonder what the market can handle as far as money and pricing goes, put the damn car out there. in the imortal words of crrol shelby " if the car is good the name wont matter" if the v is what they say it is and we dont know price it in the middle of the market it will sell. unless the market has gone cold CAUSE YOU TOOK TO LONG!

Silverspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I agree with the OP. GM is just flat out RIDICULOUS when it comes to these matters. Let's take the new Camaro. How f*cking long can it POSSIBLY take to bring a car to the market? I saw pics of that car 5 years ago. They should be EMBARRASSED. The Dodge Challenger wasn't even a thought in someones head when I saw the first prototype Camaro, yet I can buy a Challenger RIGHT NOW. I STILL can't buy the Camaro till February of NEXT year. Are they freaking kidding? They can obviously build the new V right now. The've already built 20 something of them, yet the salable production won't start until October??? Give me a freaking break. I can honestly say I am NOT suprised. Why in the f*ck can they not release initial pricing with a disclaimer that it may go up or down by 3-5%? Why? We don't even know if it will be 55K or 75K. It's just bad decision after bad decision.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

American Heritage Dictionary -

par·a·graph (pār'ə-grāf') n.

1. A distinct division of written or printed matter that begins on a new, usually indented line, consists of one or more sentences, and typically deals with a single thought or topic or quotes one speaker's continuous words.

Everybody knows it's ridiculous. Some just wont admit it. That's all.

Quote Originally Posted by Silverspeed View Post
    I agree with the OP. GM is just flat out RIDICULOUS when it comes to these matters. Let's take the new Camaro. How F!ing long can it POSSIBLY take to bring a car to the market? I saw pics of that car 5 years ago. They should be EMBARRASSED. The Dodge Challenger wasn't even a thought in someones head when I saw the first prototype Camaro, yet I can buy a Challenger RIGHT NOW. I STILL can't buy the Camaro till February of NEXT year. Are they freaking kidding? They can obviously build the new V right now. The've already built 20 something of them, yet the salable production won't start until October??? Give me a freaking break. I can honestly say I am NOT suprised. Why in the F! can they not release initial pricing with a disclaimer that it may go up or down by 3-5%? Why? We don't even know if it will be 55K or 75K. It's just bad decision after bad decision.
    Have an iPhone? Than you can get involved right now. Click here to download Cars Connected.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

GM is caught in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation. They pissed away the American public's trust by rushing badge engineered junk to Dealerships 6 months after someone thought it up (Let's put a Cadillac emblem on a Cavalier! Brilliant! Thank you!) and everyone got mad. Now they're taking their time and doing it right before releasing it, and now that makes everyone mad.

Perhaps GM's problem is showing prototypes too soon? Or perhaps it's because America is crawling with spy photographers that "out" The Big 3's mules sooner than in Germany and Japan, where foreign companies are able to do their testing in a less conspicuous are?

Could it be that rival companies take just as long (or longer) to develop a product, but they keep things top secret until it's closer to completion? Just a thought.

It wasn't only rushing that caused the American public to run in all other directions. But that was probably part of the problem.

GM probably IS showing prototypes too soon. And, spy photographers probably are messing things up. Other makes probably are being more secretive about what's going on within the organization.

All that being said, GM is definitely slow. The Camaro is taking forever. The performance advantage of a CTS-V over a BMW M5 (which is going to be a big reason that MANY people buy the CTS-V over the M5) is a limited time deal. These days, an auto manufacturer "ups the ante" with each model update.

People are going to buy the CTS-V because it's better than the M5. It's only a matter of time before BMW starts talking about their new CTS-V killer. The sooner the V gets on the road, the better. Nobody wants Cadillac to rush it. But apparently, many people feel it should have been ready by now. Just like the Camaro - which is still a year away....

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    GM is caught in a "damned if they do, damned if they don't" situation. They pissed away the American public's trust by rushing badge engineered junk to Dealerships 6 months after someone thought it up (Let's put a Cadillac emblem on a Cavalier! Brilliant! Thank you!) and everyone got mad. Now they're taking their time and doing it right before releasing it, and now that makes everyone mad.

Perhaps GM's problem is showing prototypes too soon? Or perhaps it's because America is crawling with spy photographers that "out" The Big 3's mules sooner than in Germany and Japan, where foreign companies are able to do their testing in a less conspicuous are?

Could it be that rival companies take just as long (or longer) to develop a product, but they keep things top secret until it's closer to completion? Just a thought.

gothicaleigh is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): Current: None Past: '94 STS, '93 Eldorado, '98 ETC, '03 CTS

Quote Originally Posted by Silverspeed View Post
    The Dodge Challenger wasn't even a thought in someones head when I saw the first prototype Camaro, yet I can buy a Challenger RIGHT NOW.
    The Challenger is honestly a bad example to use. It's nearly 4 year (yes, it was originally shown in early 2005) concept to production time is hardly groundbreaking.

...and what did 4 years of design 'refinement' net Chrysler?
    A wallowy pig of a car with the exact same driveline as every other SRT they have produced and worse body gaps than the original 70s Challenger.

If GM wants to take their time polishing the Camaro and V, I say let them.

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Regarding rollout timing, GM (and Ford) have experts that actually know what they are doing in my opinion. Two examples:

1) Ford delayed the launch of their 2009 F-150 for specific reasons.

2) GM accelerated the launch of their 2007 GMT pickup for specific reasons.

The V is essentially done. I have a strong feeling they have decided that it makes no sense to launch until they have cleared out most of the 2008 inventory (all cars) at dealerships. Not that launching it early would be bad for V sales, it just won't help them in sales overall.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.