CTS-V laughs at the new RS6 - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, CTS-V laughs at the new RS6 in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Blackout The big question mark for the V is how will the pistons in the LSA hold ...
    Torxila is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1 of 1 Evo Green Coupe 6m, with RB9

Re: CTS-V laughs at the new RS6

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    The big question mark for the V is how will the pistons in the LSA hold up because from what I have been hearing, those are not very good.
    Blackout,
    What have you heard exactly and from who. Under what conditions were the pistons not very good. Do you/they have any data?

Thanks,
    George

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I don't think he's implying that he has any special secret information about the LSA. It's just, the pistons are hypereutectic. They are not forged. This is information that has been available to all for sometime now. It's not something that you have to be privy to.

Being that they're hypereutectic, they will not withstand extreme boost, and, therefore, you can't expect to simply up the boost and have free horsepower at your disposal. Increase the boost significantly and you're gonna have to toss in some forged internals to withstand that kinda pressure.

LITTLEELVISDAN is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 06 STS-V, 09 Escalade, 2011 Corvette conv GS LT4, 2005 EXT

Thats not to say there is no room for HP improvement with existing internals. D3 is making 600+ out of a 469 HP stock motor with tuning and bolt ons. I would think the same 28% increase is possible on the LSA. Which is roughly the same % as the drive train loss (auto) 556 x .28 = 155 hp gain... 155 + 556 = 711 hp. Not too shabby.. Who wouldn't want a 711 hp caddy?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...g-preview.html

Blackout is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1995 FTS

Quote Originally Posted by LITTLEELVISDAN View Post
    Thats not to say there is no room for HP improvement with existing internals. D3 is making 600+ out of a 469 HP stock motor with tuning and bolt ons. I would think the same 28% increase is possible on the LSA. Which is roughly the same % as the drive train loss (auto) 556 x .28 = 155 hp gain... 155 + 556 = 711 hp. Not too shabby.. Who wouldn't want a 711 hp caddy?

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...g-preview.html
    The LS9 and the LSA are two different engines. That would be like saying that a ford 4.6 sohc is the same as the 4.6 dohc and that you would expect the same results with mods. The LSA has crappier pistons, rods, heads, etc compared to the LS9. You think GM is going to waste the money to just make the same engine but use just different pistons? This is why the LSA uses a smaller blower then that of the LS9 because its internals aren't up to par. Now all of this is pure speculative but testing has been done with eutetic pistons and forged and the eutetic ones are inferior

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    The new R8 (V10) or the old (V8)?
    R8

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout View Post
    The LS9 and the LSA are two different engines. That would be like saying that a ford 4.6 sohc is the same as the 4.6 dohc and that you would expect the same results with mods. The LSA has crappier pistons, rods, heads, etc compared to the LS9. You think GM is going to waste the money to just make the same engine but use just different pistons? This is why the LSA uses a smaller blower then that of the LS9 because its internals aren't up to par. Now all of this is pure speculative but testing has been done with eutetic pistons and forged and the eutetic ones are inferior
    Here we go. "Crappier" is not the adjective I'd use given that the design goals for the LSA and the LS9 were totally different. The internals are indeed "up to par" (read "fit for purpose") given that the vast majority of buyers won't be pursuing mods much beyond hanging an air freshener from the rear view mirror.

Not that mods are a bad thing, says the V1 Maggie owner. But I suspect I'll be perfectly happy with 556/551 direct from the factory and warrantied, and also happy to pay a lower price for it thanks to the engineering differential between the LSA and the LS9.

Given that we're talking a lux-o-barge with great handling, how much quicker than 0-60 in 3.9 and Ring in under 8 minutes do we need? And how much higher an MSRP are we willing to pay for each tenth of a second?

I like fast, but this baby is already capable of ludicrous speed.

Quote Originally Posted by lawfive View Post
    Here we go. "Crappier" is not the adjective I'd use given that the design goals for the LSA and the LS9 were totally different. The internals are indeed "up to par" (read "fit for purpose") given that the vast majority of buyers won't be pursuing mods much beyond hanging an air freshener from the rear view mirror.

Not that mods are a bad thing, says the V1 Maggie owner. But I suspect I'll be perfectly happy with 556/551 direct from the factory and warrantied, and also happy to pay a lower price for it thanks to the engineering differential between the LSA and the LS9.

Given that we're talking a lux-o-barge with great handling, how much quicker than 0-60 in 3.9 and Ring in under 8 minutes do we need? And how much higher an MSRP are we willing to pay for each tenth of a second?

Oh I'm not saying that this thing isn't going going to be a monster because this thing will be a monster! But there will always be those people that in stock trim it just isn't fast enough and that's what I will be interested in seeing as to how these LSA's hold up. Like I said it's all speculation at this point but testing has shown that forged internals are better then eutetic internals. But as for using "crappier" to describe the internals that wasn't the best choice of words to describe it but either way any adjective that means not as good would suffice

I gotcha. Let's predict those future V Forum threads right now:

"Check it out: home-grown CAI (pix)"

"F#$@*NG PULLEY!!!"

"Got the boost up by 1.5 psi but heard a 'bang,' any help?"

"Starting the LS9 conversion; have a couple questions..."

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

You forgot "WTF?! Stupid stealer won't warranty my engine after changing pulley!!!?!"

"LS9 conversion... Stupid intercooler!!! Who's up for a custom hood group buy? "

I gotcha. Let's predict those future V Forum threads right now:

"Check it out: home-grown CAI (pix)"

"F#$@*NG PULLEY!!!"

"Got the boost up by 1.5 psi but heard a 'bang,' any help?"

"Starting the LS9 conversion; have a couple questions..."
    Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    You forgot "WTF?! Stupid stealer won't warranty my engine after changing pulley!!!?!"

"LS9 conversion... Stupid intercooler!!! Who's up for a custom hood group buy? "

HushH is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Nada

I~LUV~Caddys8792 is offline Moderator
    Automobile(s): 1992 Town Car Cartier & 2014 Accord LX MTX

Quote Originally Posted by HushH View Post

And THAT gets post of the day! LOLLOLOL!!!
    "They call Alabama the Crimson Tide, call me Deacon Blues."

Current:
    1992 Lincoln Town Car Cartier Edition (5/14- ?)
    2014 Honda Accord LX MTX Sedan (1/14 -?)

Past:
    1995 Buick Roadmaster Limited (4/04-12/04)
    1992 Cadillac Sedan deVille (12/04-9/07)
    1999 Mercedes Benz S320 (8/07-7/09)
    2000 Buick Regal GS (7/09-4/12)
    2003 Mercury Marauder (4/12-10/13)
    1991 Buick LeSabre Custom Sedan (9/12-6/13)
    2013 Honda Accord LX Sedan (6/13-1/14)

concorso is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    This one ?

[YOUTUBE]3f6EKUJxnFA[/YOUTUBE]
    Yea, that one! Well, not that one exactly, as thats the last gen body with the new engine. But yes, that engine sounds bad to me... If firing order can affect the engine note, then having 2 many or 2 few cylinders can as well.

Ive driven the Gallardo and rode in a Murcielago, and the Murcielago sounds so much nicer to my ears.

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Quote Originally Posted by concorso View Post
    Ive driven the Gallardo and rode in a Murcielago, and the Murcielago sounds so much nicer to my ears.
    No doubt. But I really don't place those cars and their designed customer in the same boat as a performance sedan, be it Audi or Cadillac.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.