Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Saleable V2 builds to being 8/4 or 8/11

9K views 71 replies 25 participants last post by  lawfive 
#1 ·
All executive and "magazine" cars left the plant on Friday 8/1 and the first batch of saleable cars will start either this Monday or next Monday. Hope to be able to provide proof later in the week.

The word around the plant is $68k (don't know if that is base or not and the STS-V jumps to $81k) which is around what all of the wise members of this forum speculated.

#3 ·
My source isn't knowledgable in that area as they build they build the cars and have no interaction with that part of the process. My source said that the first batch of saleable cars are built and held at the plant while they get feedback from the executive/magazine group. This allows them to fix any issues prior to releasing the cars to the public and having to do a recall. They also confirmed the plant will be shutting down in December or January to retool for the coupe. No word on when it will be available or if a V version is plannned, as the retooling will be a major project. They couldn't remember ever having built a coupe at that plant.

#8 ·
Dr Chill is right. You will not see a saleable car built before a dealer takes an order. I am willing to bet you do not see a saleable car coming down the line for at least a month from now and even then it will be a stretch. Then you have to hope that there is not a shut down like on ZR1 production, but that is due to fitment issues with the CF parts from what I am hearing.

My prediction is that the first one will come off the line 2-4 weeks AFTER dealers take orders.

#10 ·
Although that certainly seems logical, it is still theoretical. If this guy provides proof like he says that cars are being built then that would be good news for all of us. I suppose there is a scenario that GM will want to delay the launch even if the car is ready, not unlike Ford is doing with the F-150.

#11 ·
I hope one of the shows/mags getting one to look at is Top Gear :D The GT-R hauled ass around their track with The Stig. Although it's a different class of car I'm still curious where the CTS-V will do.

68K sounds about right for where I've been guessing with auto and options. (65-70K + Gas guzzler). So if true, potential owners need to be planning on a 70K car, especially if buying one right off the bat.

The coupe info would seem to make the car mags correct in their estimates of a May time frame.

GT-R and The Stig (if you haven't seen it)

#13 ·
$68k, :crybaby: oh that hurts. I know the performance commands it, but $18k more than the last V with the main additional features of magnetic shocks and a supercharger? I consider the other features a matter of keeping up with the competition. A $70k company car :wambulance:

#15 ·
The last time I looked the difference between the 09V and the 1st Gen V was more than adding 150HP. The whole car is completely new.

If the price is too much then keep (or buy) and existing CTS-V and stick a S/C on it. You'll end up in the same ballpark with power for a lot less money, if that's all you're looking for.

#21 ·
The price we all paid for the V1 has absolutely nothing to do with what GM will decide the base price of the V2 will be. The V1 is history and will not be in the marketplace to compete with the V2. GM will price the V2 to compete with similar cars that a buyer could choose from at the same point in time. If GM makes more or less profit on the V2 vs V1 that is strictly a function of future demand in a particular car segment and how it compares to the competition. Personally, I think the V2 will easily compete at $68K with any 4 door luxury performance sedan although we all know that GM has the future M5 in their sights.

#23 ·
?? Having the option to price this car between $60-70k while still being in the same segment gives them huge discretion on margin. Any price in this range still puts them in the same class and would be within the expectations of this forum from what I have read. It all comes down to margin versus volume.

#22 ·
Its not what it costs GM for the upgrades. Its what we will pay at the time. They have to move them once they make them. I think they are waiting so long to release the pricing because things are a little tough now. If things get better and fuel prices keep droppin', they can ask a little more.

#24 ·
The other pricing factor that may come into effect for some potential owners would be the way GMAC is changing their leases now. Not sure if or how it will affect the V2, but it's something else that could remove some potential owners who were looking at leasing one.

#25 ·
Just to clear a few things up:

The 2008+ CTS was brought to the market with an extremely low margin for the Dealers in an attempt to guarantee the car's success. I think everyone at GM knew they were sitting on a winner, and they wanted to be sure that the magazines and the public would be stunned at the price point for such a nice car. Over the last 12 months, the MSRP has slowly increased by approximately $2,500, part to give Dealers a little more margin and partly due to rising costs of steel, copper and other materials.

As far as cost comparisons to the first generation V6 CTS, keep in mind that even though the CTS is a lot nicer than Gen.1, there's not a lot of more expensive items on it- a lot of styling changes that improved the car, but not much to raise the cost. The 2008s don't have paddle shifters, still have cast iron rotors, the same wheel sizes, 235 tires, a Naturally Aspirated 3.6L engine, etc, etc. The V model is going to have a bunch of items that cost quite a bit more than the equipment on the Gen.1 V, such as the two piece rotors, larger and wider wheels, wider tires, larger engine, Supercharger, intercooler, extra pulleys, magnetic ride control, Alcantara steering wheel, etc.... I know it seems like an easy comparison to make, but there's a little more to it.

Also keep in mind that a Gen.1 V6 CTS could barely get up to $45k, even loaded. A gen.1 V with FG2 and a roof was $55k ($10k difference for those keeping score at home). It's now possible to get a V6 CTS up to around $54k, so a $10k difference would put the V at $64k base. If they pull that off with the added cost of all the things mentioned above, it's a hell of a deal.

#26 ·
Just to clear a few things up:

The 2008+ CTS was brought to the market with an extremely low margin for the Dealers in an attempt to guarantee the car's success. I think everyone at GM knew they were sitting on a winner, and they wanted to be sure that the magazines and the public would be stunned at the price point for such a nice car. Over the last 12 months, the MSRP has slowly increased by approximately $2,500, part to give Dealers a little more margin and partly due to rising costs of steel, copper and other materials.

As far as cost comparisons to the first generation V6 CTS, keep in mind that even though the CTS is a lot nicer than Gen.1, there's not a lot of more expensive items on it- a lot of styling changes that improved the car, but not much to raise the cost. The 2008s don't have paddle shifters, still have cast iron rotors, the same wheel sizes, 235 tires, a Naturally Aspirated 3.6L engine, etc, etc. The V model is going to have a bunch of items that cost quite a bit more than the equipment on the Gen.1 V, such as the two piece rotors, larger and wider wheels, wider tires, larger engine, Supercharger, intercooler, extra pulleys, magnetic ride control, Alcantara steering wheel, etc.... I know it seems like an easy comparison to make, but there's a little more to it.

Also keep in mind that a Gen.1 V6 CTS could barely get up to $45k, even loaded. A gen.1 V with FG2 and a roof was $55k ($10k difference for those keeping score at home). It's now possible to get a V6 CTS up to around $54k, so a $10k difference would put the V at $64k base. If they pull that off with the added cost of all the things mentioned above, it's a hell of a deal.
I don't know about 54k. With a build on Cadillac's site, the maximum I reach, without AWD, is 47,865. AWD would tack on another 1900 to bring it to 49,765. Still 4,000 shy of the 54 you've got above. But, since the V won't have AWD, 10,000 above a similar base CTS would yield approximately 58 for an 09 V.

Sure, if you start tacking on redundant packages, I can get just shy of 60K, but that'd be misleading. In fact, I'm not sure why the site even allows certain packages to be selectable in combination when it would just be the same content being paid for repeatedly. Makes no sense. A fully loaded base CTS comes in at just about 50K. Just under 48K without AWD.

Me thinks a fully loaded 09 V at 58K would be lovely.

#27 ·
Regardless, my point is that the difference between the base CTS and the V is no longer just "larger versions" of the same stuff. It didn't cost any extra to manufacture the FG2 shocks on the 07 CTS-V than the FE3 shocks on the 07 CTS, but it sure costs more to manufacture the Magnetic Ride system than the FE3. Similarly, the base 07 CTS had cast iron rotors, while the V simply had larger cast iron rotors- not much price difference. Two piece rotors add more cost to the 09. The 07's had the same rear as the V6, while the cast iron rear diff in the 09 V costs more than the aluminum piece in the base. And so on......

All I'm saying is that the differences between the CTS and V have grown far more substantial for the second generation. Where the first V just used bigger pieces of the same construction from the V6, the new model uses some more exotic parts. The price differential between the two will reflect that.

#31 · (Edited)
On the V1, the small block cost less than the 3.6. Don't confuse cost and price.

Catera Touring Sedan - OOPS! - CTS was the watershed car that took Cadillac from being a frumpy old man's brand to a contender. The V's took Cadillac from being a contenter to the leader in luxury performance.

CTS-V - think halo car.

#34 ·
Well, it's already Thursday and I haven't received "the call" yet. If I get the call tomorrow, I won't be able to get away to check it out so it looks like next week at the earliest. Sorry all, but I'm just as dissapointed as you. You will all be the second ones to know as I'll post from my phone as soon as I'm done. :highfive:

#36 ·
Well, it's already Thursday and I haven't received "the call" yet. If I get the call tomorrow, I won't be able to get away to check it out so it looks like next week at the earliest. Sorry all, but I'm just as dissapointed as you. You will all be the second ones to know as I'll post from my phone as soon as I'm done. :highfive:
Oh yeah. Missed that.

#35 ·
All executive and "magazine" cars left the plant on Friday 8/1 and the first batch of saleable cars will start either this Monday or next Monday. Hope to be able to provide proof later in the week.

The word around the plant is $68k (don't know if that is base or not and the STS-V jumps to $81k) which is around what all of the wise members of this forum speculated.
Left the plant, 8/1/08..... arrived in testers hands, 8/2/08.....GIANT smiles on testers faces, 8/2.5/08.
Are you talkin' smack? Its 8/9/8 and I ain't heard or read a thing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.