On the fence again on what transmission
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, On the fence again on what transmission in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Just as the title says. Having real trouble with what transmission to get. First I was diehard manual guy. Now ...
    v84life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05CTS-v plat, 07 Escalade quicksilver

On the fence again on what transmission

Just as the title says. Having real trouble with what transmission to get. First I was diehard manual guy. Now hearing all the buz about the auto got me thinking again. I will be putting a order in soon. Any feedback would be welcome, thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

DoctorV8 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: On the fence again on what transmission

Having driven an E39 BMW M5 for years, and then switching to the much more powerful CL65 AMG.....let me tell you, I miss the stick shift in the Bimmer on the open road, but the Benz is way more livable in Houston traffic.

In the CTS-V, for me anyway....it's a no brainer....there may not be many true stick shift cars like this in the future, so it's 6 spd manual all the way.

This car has got me all twisted. Damn ,giving me a choice of tranny is making my stomach hurt

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Most of the Vs will have the slushbox; dare to be different.

What do you think the ratio will be? Waiting for something to click and then I will know what to do.

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorV8 View Post
    Having driven an E39 BMW M5 for years, and then switching to the much more powerful CL65 AMG.....let me tell you, I miss the stick shift in the Bimmer on the open road, but the Benz is way more livable in Houston traffic.

In the CTS-V, for me anyway....it's a no brainer....there may not be many true stick shift cars like this in the future, so it's 6 spd manual all the way.
    I agree with this. For me it would be a total no-brainer except that the T-56 variant is way too clunky on my V1, and the pedal is too heavy and not aligned with the other two for proper heel-toe. (Consequently I have a '03 Cobra, CTS-V, and C5 Z06 and the Tremec sucks on all of them.)

I am cautiously optimistic that the new Tremec (right?) is a significant improvement over the old one, but still haven't driven anything from them that compares to some overseas products.

*All that said*, I will be getting the new six speed and would probably get it even if it were the exact same setup. Just because I call em like I see em does not mean I don't enjoy rowing in the V1, and slush will be an endagered species pretty soon on lux perf sedans...

Quote Originally Posted by Jpjr View Post
    I agree with this. For me it would be a total no-brainer except that the T-56 variant is way too clunky on my V1, and the pedal is too heavy and not aligned with the other two for proper heel-toe. (Consequently I have a '03 Cobra, CTS-V, and C5 Z06 and the Tremec sucks on all of them.)

I am cautiously optimistic that the new Tremec (right?) is a significant improvement over the old one, but still haven't driven anything from them that compares to some overseas products.

*All that said*, I will be getting the new six speed and would probably get it even if it were the exact same setup. Just because I call em like I see em does not mean I don't enjoy rowing in the V1, and slush will be an endagered species pretty soon on lux perf sedans...
    Don't you mean the manual will be endangered

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

The automatic beat the manual on Nurbergring. I'm probably going the automatic route though I want to see what the car magazine test drives say. I want which ever is quicker. I do think you need to get the manual though to achieve drag-limited top speed on an unflashed car.

Quote Originally Posted by v84life View Post
    Don't you mean the manual will be endangered
    duh yes that is exactly what i meant. sorry!

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Don't worry about the limiter because it won't be a factor within less than a year after the first production car is sold. :stealthv: Just don't overdo it at higher speeds because there's a reason the auto is limited.

Or, don't worry about the limiter because most U.S. owners don't get their vehicle up over 100 mph anyway.

For me, it boils down this way:

I always want to go fast, but I don't always want to shift. I don't get a big charge just from shifting. I don't track the car. So the manual only makes driving more fun when I'm in some serious twisties. Which is sort of seldom. As Pilgrim said and Heinricy proved the 6L90 can handle the shifting better than most drivers would with a manual (that's gotta include me). That said: the manual in Heinricy's hands would have done better than 7:59:32 since Heinricy bumped up against 175 MPH in fifth gear on his run.

Shifting during normal driving is second nature and I usually don't really even think about it. However my V is my daily driver and I spend most of that time on straight freeways with a lot of traffic and city streets with a stop sign or a signal (and often a hill) on every block. So I wind up having to think about shifting in stop-and-go traffic when I'm doing it too much (I don't like to lug) and my left leg starts to fatigue, or when my right hand is too busy to grab and hold the coffee.

If you are a guy who just really likes shifting a manual and thinks it adds to the experience, get the manual. If you are a guy who is better technically at shifting during hard driving than 90% of other drivers, and if that matters to you, get the manual. Otherwise, the automatic.

Oh, and I suppose the manual will potentially get better gas mileage, too. But probably not in our hands.

Thanks lawfive for your input. I'm not worried about top speed so the limiter means nothing but bragging rights. Driving pleasure=manual. Practicality=auto
    Going to have to make a pro con list. I never thought it was going to be this tough on transmission choice.

Thanks again for all the feedback

Dr Chill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS, 03 Z06 LS2 408 track car, 07 Q7 tow vehicle

From what I hear from friends with C6 Z06's, the TR6060 performs very similarly to the T-56. I definitely like the T-56 in my C5 Z06, but it is the RPM Level 5 variety with cooler.

One reason to get a Slushbox may be due to the better resale potential since it has a broader appeal. My V will be a slushbox because that's what the boss wants. Afterall, it's her car.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Chill View Post
    From what I hear from friends with C6 Z06's, the TR6060 performs very similarly to the T-56. I definitely like the T-56 in my C5 Z06, but it is the RPM Level 5 variety with cooler.

One reason to get a Slushbox may be due to the better resale potential since it has a broader appeal. My V will be a slushbox because that's what the boss wants. Afterall, it's her car.
    I guess the resale would have to more than compensate the extra cost of slush, presuming the auto is an option. Not sure retail would be affected in this type of car though but point taken.

I hate driving my V1 in the city, it really really sucks after a while in stop and go, but the coolness factor generally makes up for it. People that ride in my car can't get over seeing a 6 speed in a Caddy.

..plus the obvious fun factor of driving a stick when you are not in stop and go which is not often.

Quote Originally Posted by Jpjr View Post
    which is not often
    ... except maybe in Los Angeles and San Francisco.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.