On the fence again on what transmission - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, On the fence again on what transmission in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; One word - Autobahn. :-) Of course most of the locals over there are governed to 155 or so. 175 ...
    HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

Re: On the fence again on what transmission

One word - Autobahn. :-) Of course most of the locals over there are governed to 155 or so. 175 would be plenty to embarass them.

I'd actually go the other way - a 4.11 or steeper gear custom built to get more acceleration, sacraficing some top speed and MPG. I'd really have no need for it to top out above 140.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    They both have a 3.73 gears in the diff
    Is there a typo on the official V website? It shows final drive ratios as:

TR6060 manual = 3.73:1
    6L90E automatic = 3.23:1

Where's my Cadillac trinket FTW?

v84life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05CTS-v plat, 07 Escalade quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV View Post
    Is there a typo on the official V website? It shows final drive ratios as:

TR6060 manual = 3.73:1
    6L90E automatic = 3.23:1

Where's my Cadillac trinket FTW?
    Beat me to it...

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Blarg- that's what I get for popping in and posting too quickly in-between customers- the Auto has a 3.23, not a 3.73.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Kidhummer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

so then comes my question again..what if we put in a 3.73 and add hp..lol

A 3.73:1 final drive ratio in a automatic V would be a very nice performance upgrade, with the fuel economy trade-off of course, that doesn't push the envelope of craziness in the mod world as it is a proven factory piece. The ratio in changing the rear ratio (ha!) provides a 15% gain in torque to the rear wheels.

The 3.73:1 gear swap would be a stealthy mod except for the need to reprogram the transmission to send the right MPH signal to the speedometer. There's that ol' flashing software and screwing with the warranty thing again.

Hmm...Just thought of a way to make the speedo correct without big brother knowing.

Now if somone would only make a nice 4.10:1 gear set set for the manual V.

Damn the MPG, it's all about torque multiplication!

v84life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05CTS-v plat, 07 Escalade quicksilver

Now if somone would only make a nice 4.10:1 gear set set for the manual V.

Damn the MPG, it's all about torque multiplication!
    So you have chosen the manual, final answer......? Using all this feedback to confirm my own choice, hence the thread question. THIS CAR is going to kick azz.

Kidhummer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

A 3.73:1 final drive ratio in a automatic V would be a very nice performance upgrade, with the fuel economy trade-off of course, that doesn't push the envelope of craziness in the mod world as it is a proven factory piece. The ratio in changing the rear ratio (ha!) provides a 15% gain in torque to the rear wheels.

The 3.73:1 gear swap would be a stealthy mod except for the need to reprogram the transmission to send the right MPH signal to the speedometer. There's that ol' flashing software and screwing with the warranty thing again.

Hmm...Just thought of a way to make the speedo correct without big brother knowing.
    I hope you have some good software for the car ; )

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Change the diff gears and resize your rear wheels?

Silverspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I think a 3.73 would be way too much gear. The transmission has the exact same ratio's as the A6 in the C6 Vette, and in the LS3 cars a 2.73 is considered a performance factory option over the base 2.56. Most of the aftermarket guys go with 3.15's and 3.42's are the most anyone has ever put in an A6 equipped vette( at least that I've read about). A 3.23 with the standard trans gear ratios is already a very strongly geared car. I was honestly shocked when I saw the trans was the same as the C6(ratios) and they were putting 3.23's out back. I would imagine that 3.73's and 550ft./lbs with those trans ratios would make 1st gear useless. Probably much of second as well. Don't have time to do the numbers but I'd be willing to bet that 3.73's in an A6 would be the equvilent of 4.90's in the manual when it comes to final drive ratio. Maybe someone can run the numbers?

Practical or smart should never factor into modifying a V.

Is it time to go home yet?

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

If you resized the wheels and tires so that the speedo were right, you would have no performance increase. Now you might be able to lie to the ECU through a tech 2 about tire diameter....

Silverspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Member

FYI for first gear, running 3.73's in the A6 gives a overall ratio of 14.99. To have the same overall ratio in the MN6 you would need a 5.64 gear set. lol

Factory stock the A6 car is already has stronger overall gearing in the first three gears than the MN6, especially in first and second, with the MN6 surpassing it in fourth. I would venture to say from a dig the A6 car will pull away from the MN6 only to get caught later in the run if driven properly. From a highway roll at 80+ the MN6 should walk the A6 since the very slight gearing advantage in 3rd won't overcome it's rwhp disadvantage.

Bench racing at it's best.

Overall gear ratios by trans type:

A6 with 3.23..............MN6 with 3.73.......A6 with 3.73............MN6 with 4.10

1: 12.98...................1. 9.92................1. 14.99..................1. 10.91
    2: 7.62....................2. 6.64................2. 8.80....................2. 7.30
    3: 4.94....................3. 4.85................3. 5.71....................3. 5.33
    4: 3.71....................4. 3.73................4. 4.29....................4. 4.10

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by Some guy posing as StealthV View Post
    Practical or smart should never factor into modifying a V.
    Blitzer!! Where you been, man? And... when did you learn to type?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.