On the fence again on what transmission - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, On the fence again on what transmission in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Extra cost of automatic is more than offset by cost of clutch replacement....
    Dr Chill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS, 03 Z06 LS2 408 track car, 07 Q7 tow vehicle

Re: On the fence again on what transmission

Extra cost of automatic is more than offset by cost of clutch replacement.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Chill View Post
    From what I hear from friends with C6 Z06's, the TR6060 performs very similarly to the T-56.
    I will not consider buying a V2 until I test drive it. I have plans strictly for the manual. If the manual tranny performs in similar fashion to the T-56 in my 04 V I will not buy a V2. It's that simple. A clean shifting transmission without the bugs I've had to deal with is paramount in my decision so I hope Cadillac gets it right this time.

Dr Chill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS, 03 Z06 LS2 408 track car, 07 Q7 tow vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by Rich H View Post
    I will not consider buying a V2 until I test drive it. I have plans strictly for the manual. If the manual tranny performs in similar fashion to the T-56 in my 04 V I will not buy a V2. It's that simple. A clean shifting transmission without the bugs I've had to deal with is paramount in my decision so I hope Cadillac gets it right this time.
    Differences between T-56 and TR6060:

Changes for TR6060 include wider gears for increased torque capacity, higher-capacity synchronizers, finer splines and machined teeth for the dog clutches, and new single-piece shift forks. For increased stiffness at the front of the transmission, the oil-circulating pump has been moved inside the case and its flow rate has been increased by 15%. Various ribs, reinforcements, and flange thicknesses are increased, and the countershaft is a new, more robust single-piece design. Differential ring and pinion gears are now shot-peened twice for enhanced durability, and the span between their support bearings has been increased. All said an done, over 90% of the components are altered from the T56 transmission. There was also a 10% reduction in motion and effort.

That being said, the TR6060 is stronger and more durable but when cold is a bit hard to shift and occasionally grinds through 1-2-3. There's a lot of feedback on corvetteforum.com. As I said, I like the T-56 and think it is an excellent tranny, but I use a B&M short throw shifter which is a great improvement over stock in the Vette. The TR6060 should perform similarly. Possibly a better shifter would impact your opinion.

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

From what I've heard, they have gotten it right this time. Short throw, less play, better pedal feel.

v84life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05CTS-v plat, 07 Escalade quicksilver

A little better that the V1 , I can deal with. A lot better could make my decision click. If it is no better than V1 then I'll go slush. Hope there is feed back and test drives in the next 2 months that's when my order is being processed. Delivery is based on my lease return. I can't f in wait for this car. I feel like a kid waiting for christmas

CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Something I didn't consider until after I got the CTS-V was what I would do if I broke or seriously injured a leg or my right arm and this was my only car and D.D. I would have had to rent a car that was an auto for 6-8 weeks until I healed or bought another vehicle that was an auto. I more than likely will not own a 6 speed again until I decide it's time to own two vehicles.

chris1268 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 cts-v

Quote Originally Posted by CIWS View Post
    Something I didn't consider until after I got the CTS-V was what I would do if I broke or seriously injured a leg or my right arm and this was my only car and D.D. I would have had to rent a car that was an auto for 6-8 weeks until I healed or bought another vehicle that was an auto. I more than likely will not own a 6 speed again until I decide it's time to own two vehicles.

Not that is a great point......Just happened to me 2 weeks ago. Broke my hand and have been in a work loaner since then. Today was actually the first day back in the car and shifting is not fun. That is what switched my decision to auto too.

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by lawfive View Post
    Don't worry about the limiter because it won't be a factor within less than a year after the first production car is sold. :stealthv: Just don't overdo it at higher speeds because there's a reason the auto is limited.

Or, don't worry about the limiter because most U.S. owners don't get their vehicle up over 100 mph anyway

For me, it boils down this way:

I always want to go fast, but I don't always want to shift. I don't get a big charge just from shifting. I don't track the car. So the manual only makes driving more fun when I'm in some serious twisties. Which is sort of seldom. As Pilgrim said and Heinricy proved the 6L90 can handle the shifting better than most drivers would with a manual (that's gotta include me). That said: the manual in Heinricy's hands would have done better than 7:59:32 since Heinricy bumped up against 175 MPH in fifth gear on his run.

Shifting during normal driving is second nature and I usually don't really even think about it. However my V is my daily driver and I spend most of that time on straight freeways with a lot of traffic and city streets with a stop sign or a signal (and often a hill) on every block. So I wind up having to think about shifting in stop-and-go traffic when I'm doing it too much (I don't like to lug) and my left leg starts to fatigue, or when my right hand is too busy to grab and hold the coffee.

If you are a guy who just really likes shifting a manual and thinks it adds to the experience, get the manual. If you are a guy who is better technically at shifting during hard driving than 90% of other drivers, and if that matters to you, get the manual. Otherwise, the automatic.
    I don't think the automatic is governor limited. It's limited by gearing. It reaches top speed (175mph) at redline in 5th and doesn't pull in it's tall 6th gear.

Interestingly enough, the manual wouldn't necessarily pull a faster time just because the automatic bumped up against its 175 mph top speed. He wasn't really just sittin at that top speed. The gearing in the automatic was such that Heinricy noted that he hit redline in 5th, at the end of the long straight, just as he was entering the brake zone. So he really wouldn't have been able to go any higher, even if the automatic had more top end in it.

Whether the manual, due to its different gearing, would have had faster top end acceleration and attained a higher speed on that long straight is an interesting question though.

Quote Originally Posted by atdeneve View Post
    I don't think the automatic is governor limited. It's limited by gearing. It reaches top speed (175mph) at redline in 5th and doesn't pull in it's tall 6th gear.
    You might be right; I didn't think to ask anybody that I ran into from Cadillac. All I know is what I've read from sources that have been wrong before:

Quote Originally Posted by Edmunds.com
    But more power is not, you know, strictly necessary, since this car will sprint to 60 mph in 3.9 seconds, run the quarter-mile in around 12 seconds, and get all the way to 191 mph. (Cars optioned with the six-speed automatic instead of the manual transmission are limited to 175 mph.) Even at a hefty curb weight estimated to be 4,300 pounds, the CTS-V rocks the best power-to-weight ratio in its class. And this engine also punches out 551 pound-feet of torque at 3,800 rpm.
    Bet I know who can tell us for sure. "Paging Tony..."

And on second read, they may be using the term "limited" to mean that's where it gives out, rather than that's where an electronic limiter kicks in.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

It's limited by the gearing, not electronics.
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323 (ask for Tony)

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

kthx tts

Kidhummer is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    It's limited by the gearing, not electronics.
    What if we put the same gears as in the manual and add more hp? Would the car accelerate to 191 as fast as the manual?

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

The car mags call that drag limited.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Kidhummer View Post
    What if we put the same gears as in the manual and add more hp? Would the car accelerate to 191 as fast as the manual?
    They both have a 3.73 gears in the diff- it's the gearing in the transmission that's different. I doubt there's too many people who'd be willing to rip open a brand new 6L90 and try to change the gear ratios.

I know we're only talking about this because the tests haven't hit the mags yet and we're bored, but this is really a non-issue. The 04-07 CTS-Vs were limited at 163, and only a handful of people have ever been brave/stupid enough to hit that on a public road.

Other than making a cool YouTube vid, I can't think of a reason I need any more than 175 out of a street car.
    Tony Pagano
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323 (ask for Tony)

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.