What happens when!!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, What happens when!!!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Could some dealer out there be asking that ? Sure, but only a dumbazz with more money than brains would ...
    CIWS is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2013 BMUU X1 35i Sport, 2006 STS-V--2005 CTS-V ( traded in)

Re: What happens when!!!!

Could some dealer out there be asking that ? Sure, but only a dumbazz with more money than brains would pay it. The ZR1 is a limited production model so it's not too surprising there will be some markup to get one, especially some of the first ones available to the public.

I talked with one of the execs at a local dealership yesterday and the word they're getting right now is the first 09Vs showing up in December-January now. If the rumors about not starting production till late Oct-Nov now, then that would be just about right. The first 06 STS and XLR-Vs didn't show up on time either, they were a few months "late". I just hope some of these folks out there who have put deposits down on an 09V with their local dealer understand how things work with a lot of the dealerships out there. One of my local dealerships already has 15 people who have put deposits down on one. How long do you think it's going to take for them to receive 15 09V cars from GM based on their dealership allotment once the car is first released ? Much less the fact the dealership is certainly going to show a certain preference to their long time / wealthy customers over an "average" joe who walks in and puts down a deposit. Wouldn't you ?

If Cadillac Tony is offering to to get you one at MSRP, I would seriously consider taking that offer.

Bluhair is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V (???)/2009 GTR (Nov.)/96 SC400/07 Denali/05 E350

In situations where the car is very popular, and numbers are limited, I find it best to involve an attorney. That is what i did with my GTR, and that is what I will do when my dealer gets MSRP finalized. I am third in line, and I expect to get the third car. If you have a attorney write up a contract stating price and delivery date, there should not be a problem. I really don't care if I get the third or tenth car from the dealership, as long as it is there on the agrees upon delivery date.

Unfortunately, dealing with unscrupulous dealerships, has honed my car buying techniques.

I here story after story, about Nissan dealerships, returning deposits and saying "You will be a "VIP" at the auction of your car, and you can bid like everybody else", including the flippers who already have customers shelling out 150K for a GTR.

Dr Chill is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 08 CTS, 03 Z06 LS2 408 track car, 07 Q7 tow vehicle

No need for attorneys. Just make sure the dealer spells out very clearly your place in line and the purchase price in relation to MSRP on the purchase order, and signs it. Attorneys come in when the dealer doesn't honor your written agreement.

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

At the California Speedway meet the head of Cadillac marketing said that the V2 would hit showrooms in November. That may already be old news based on what CIWS is hearing.

GNSCOTT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have been watching the ZR-1 prices closely. Like I thought would happen, there are dealerships on the Corvette forum that are now selling at $20k above msrp. All this and the car is not even out yet. By next spring they will be msrp. Most of the ZR1's sold on Ebay were won by the selling dealerships. One person caught his local dealership bidding on his own car. The guy stupidly pulled up the car on Ebay to show the customer what the bidding was up to, and it said " You have been outbid. Would you like to bid again?" right on the screen.

I saw the 04's on Ebay. I had no problem going to my local dealer, plunking down $1k deposit and getting his first one at msrp. if I waited 4 months I could have saved about $10k (6k off msrp and had an 05)

Why bother putting a deposit down on a car with no agreed upon price? (msrp + or - )

Buzz48317 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 STS AWD, 1SB, Nav, Chrome wheels and moonroof

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Tony View Post
    Oh I agree- The only thing more ridiculous than a Dealer charging 4x MSRP is the person dumb enough to pay it. I just wanted to point out that scarce quantities of a high demand product makes the MSRP meaningless. Enzo Ferraris all sold for at least $500,000 to $1,000,000 over MSRP because of the exclusivity, so some people might be willing to pay $400k for a ZR-1. It's still A Million cheaper than the Enzo, right?
    Hey Tony, don't mean to contradict you, but the Enzos were all sold at MSRP. Ferrari North America has a contract with their dealers that they don't sell new cars at a premium over MSRP. What would happen is that the dealerships would spec an Enzo and deliver it , at MSRP, to a customer that was hand selected by Ferrari and the new owner would then turn the car around as a previously titled used car and sell it for somewhere around $500,000 over what they had paid for it...the dealer and the customer splitting the windfall. BTW officially Ferrari made 399 Enzos for public consumption (this number is hotly debated with guesses of the actual production number somewhere around 500 units production number on the first Enzo was 103820 and the last one was 141920) with somewhere around 124 being made for the USofA and the last of the official 400 they made for Pope John Paul II which was auctioned for charity.

It still works this way at Ferrari. If you were lucky enough to have had a previous relationship with a Ferrari dealership and were able to get an early allocation on a 599GTB you could buy the car at the sticker price of about $350,000 and then market the car at the same dealership as a used car for about $500,000. In short, it pays to be buddies with the owner of a Ferrari dealership.

As far as I am concerned the market will always find its own level. Nobody is going to pay 4X MSRP on a car like the ZR1. For just a couple bucks more (well a hundred fifty grand or so, but at $400K what's another hundred and a half?) you can get a SSC Untimate Aero and own the fastest car in the world. This dealer will either bring the price down to a sellable level or he is going to own that ZR1 forever.

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz48317 View Post
    Hey Tony, don't mean to contradict you...
    It's cool- I should have been clearer about what I meant. Whether it was a Dealer or an enterprising customer that sold them for half a mil over MSRP, the point remains that the market supported it, which made MSRP meaningless.

Come to think of it, it's an even better example when you consider that people were paying that much over sticker for a USED car!

My point was just that the "S" in MSRP stands for "suggested". It's usually higher than what the market will bear, but in rare instances like the Enzo and ZR-1, it's lower.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

Kmajecki is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I know having the ZR1 means a lot, but i'd just get a Z06 and put $340,000 in mods on it. Bet i could keep up with the ZR1 then! haha

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.