MT vs AT ... Pros & Cons
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, MT vs AT ... Pros & Cons in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; At the risk of this -- no flames, please! -- degenerating into a piston discussion or the M5 is uber ...
    rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

MT vs AT ... Pros & Cons

At the risk of this -- no flames, please! -- degenerating into a piston discussion or the M5 is uber better than a V1, V2, or Vx, I'm curious about tranny pros and cons.

So, what is everybody else feeling about a V2 equipped with the Tremec TR6060 trans vs GM's new 6L90 auto trans?

I mean, I love rowing a manual, and can't believe I'd even contemplate an auto, but I have to believe the V2/AT combo might hold value better for one, not to mention that it'll probably be the higher volume configuration 2 to 1. The V2/AT will be heftier by 100 lbs ... that's not good. What about the PTM? Is that limited to the AT version? With all that hp, having both hands on the steering wheel while mashing the throttle is a plus for the AT safety-wise ... anything else? Speed? Shift point programability? Fuel economy (for those who care)?

Another related thought is I fear the MT versions that land at the dealers will be the stripped down version (i.e. without the Recaro seats, BT, Bose digital, etc) while the AT versions will be the only ones with these. Geez, I hope I'm wrong about that.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Re: MT vs AT ... Pros & Cons

I plan on getting a fully loaded Automatic. Yeah, I said it.

The days of the auto being inferior are over. Just less than a decade ago the automatic 'Vette was a joke (4 spd vs. 6, sluggish shifts, no DSC), but with improved gearing, PTM and real control over the gears (by that, I mean no automatic upshifts unless you tell it to), the automatic is just as good a performer as the manual. Besides, how often are you driving the car at 10/10ths (or even 8/10ths)? Most of my time in my 04 V is cruising to work or the store, and an auto would be nice. With the new features, I can still rip through the gears and downshift for a corner, but only when I want to.

I know- heresy, right?
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I'm leaning towards a AT also. I've driven MT's since '85, but with a bad left knee that won't get better I have to think a little different. I agree fully with the points made by Rand and Tony. I will also be honest and admit that I'll do alot better driving an auto versus a manual in a car with this kind of power and I've always wanted paddles.

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

I ageren Tony. You don't have to have a manual to have the best driving experience. If there was auto offered in V1 I don't it would have sold as well, following the M5 at the time offering manual only.

The V2 is going to give a softer delivery for it's passengers resulting in a more refined replacement of the original. I think the auto trans sales will exceed manual for the V2.

Norm

SLPR 6.0L is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

MT sucks with a tennis elbow!

OzarksHillbilly is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Stealth Gray CTS-V

To each his own. But I don't think anyone should choose the automatic transmission (or any other option) for the reason cited by original poster Rand49er: "I have to believe the V2/AT combo might hold value better for one..."

I think we should buy our cars for ourselves, not the next owners.

I remember buying my first new car, a 1966 Barracuda Formula S. I ordered it in dark green, and planned to also order the factory black racing stripes. I wanted my father's blessing -- it was my money, but his approval was important to me. He agreed with all my choices except for the stripes. "It'll hurt the resale value," he warned. So I deleted the stripes. Not long after I traded in the car a couple of years later, I saw it driving down the street sporting black factory-style racing stripes that had been added by the new owner. I had some fun with my dad over that.

Clintonwmills is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

The only release I would go for the MT is because all the time I need the power and I am in 2nd or 3rd on the AT and hate it. If i pull out in front of someone and need first gear it will have to down shift first. If i had the AT I would not be paddle shifting all the time. Just my thought. I would go for MT. It also have more fun with the car over all if I have a MT. I like the AT from a straight line race. It is nice not to have to worry about it. i like Mt from a launch stand point.

rand49er is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Quote Originally Posted by Clintonwmills View Post
    ... If i pull out in front of someone and need first gear it will have to down shift first. If i had the AT I would not be paddle shifting all the time. ...
    Yeah, a con for the AT.

Not only do you have to pass through gears to get to the one you want, you better remember which one you're in so you don't muff it.

I'm still torn, here. The thought of settling deep into that Recaro with both feet and both hands involved ... . I mean, THAT'S what driving is all about, isn't it? As Tony suggests, all else is indeed heresy!

However, the financial guy in me keeps interjecting the "practicality" and "resale" of an AT (as if those words even have a place here) ... I mean, you can't keep a car forever, can you? Afterall, the market is bigger for an AT ... make no mistake.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

Quote Originally Posted by Clintonwmills View Post
    The only release I would go for the MT is because all the time I need the power and I am in 2nd or 3rd on the AT and hate it. If i pull out in front of someone and need first gear it will have to down shift first. If i had the AT I would not be paddle shifting all the time. Just my thought. I would go for MT. It also have more fun with the car over all if I have a MT. I like the AT from a straight line race. It is nice not to have to worry about it. i like Mt from a launch stand point.
    I would not fret over time of events for human reactions, mechanical, to results with modern day automatics. The AMG SpeedShift skips gears on down shifts if need be. If you were cruising in 3rd or 4th at 25-30 MPH and needed 1st when you punched if it they'll be there faster than the current Tremec can get there. If you know you can just punch it without think about if you can get into first gear or should just go for second the modern day automatics will be gone by then.

Norm

HushH is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Nada

With the possibility of having to commute in Atlanta traffic looming in the near future, I will probably be leaning towards the auto as well.

Tony, you heard anything on the re-work of the paddles?

1fstkde is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2007 stsv. 2005 ctsv(r.i.p)

Quote Originally Posted by rand49er View Post
    Yeah, a con for the AT.

Not only do you have to pass through gears to get to the one you want, you better remember which one you're in so you don't muff it.

I'm still torn, here. The thought of settling deep into that Recaro with both feet and both hands involved ... . I mean, THAT'S what driving is all about, isn't it? As Tony suggests, all else is indeed heresy!

However, the financial guy in me keeps interjecting the "practicality" and "resale" of an AT (as if those words even have a place here) ... I mean, you can't keep a car forever, can you? Afterall, the market is bigger for an AT ... make no mistake.
    hey on the recaros, are those an option?? on the commercial it kinda hinted that way..that would suck!

Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Quote Originally Posted by HushH View Post
    With the possibility of having to commute in Atlanta traffic looming in the near future, I will probably be leaning towards the auto as well.

Tony, you heard anything on the re-work of the paddles?
    Nope.

I had no problem with the shift paddles in the mule I sat in, but apparently they kept getting pressed by accident at the 'Ring, so they're being redesigned. I posted a picture a while back, and here it is again for anyone who missed it. Just to be clear, these were the original setup, which is supposedly being changed for production.

Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

HushH is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Nada

Yeah, I could see how those might be a problem. Plus they're tiny. You don't want to have feel around for a shift button when you're running through a road course. Hopefully we get something more along the lines of the F1 style shifters:

HITMONEY is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 02 DTS NightVision "Sled"; Waiting For The Coup

AT for me no question.

I love shifting, but not on a daily driver in traffic... no way. Been there done that.

JBsZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp

I would also order the cTS V with an automatic paddle shifter. I wish it were a DSG rather than a torque convertor automatic but no matter..

I'd still order this 550hp S/c 6.2 liter four door sports sedan without a manual tranny.

Can't wait to see this beast on the streets!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.