Torque converter on a DSG transmission? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Torque converter on a DSG transmission? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I agree cars are getting better. I guess I got off on a tangent the other day. Sorry, I get ...
    Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Torque converter on a DSG transmission?

I agree cars are getting better. I guess I got off on a tangent the other day. Sorry, I get bothered by a number of things in our world these days, and the fact that there are so few mechanics these days is very frustrating. The industry is well aware of the alarming predicament they're in due to an overall feeling in our society that being an automotive mechanic (and most other mechanical things one would do with their hands such as a machinist) is something to be looked down on. Really a shame IMO.
    But, as far as cars that have so much electrical crap heaped on them, I'm sure they'll continue to take over the market. Again, I don't think that's necessarily a good thing.

rand49er is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2005 CTS-V, 2011 Cruze 1.4T 6MT

Don't usually keep up with everyone else on new car stuff, but I finally looked up DSG transmission on Yahoo. Explanation was that it's two 3-speed manual transmissions in a single unit. When you start out, the first trans is in 1st gear while the second in already in second gear. When sufficient speed has been achieved, the clutches very quickly switch over to drive through the second trans while the first trans goes into 3rd gear and becomes ready for the next shift. When that occurs the second trans, now disengaged, goes into 4th gear, so the two trans are alternating back and forth through a set of clutches which are rapidly engaged/disengaged as dictated by the computer. That's kinda cool!

Guess I can see now why it was mentioned above that the ride could be a bit jerky in just normal driving since the engine speed has to quickly change during the shift change in order to smooth out the ride. Sounds like this may not be done well enough yet in some applications.
    '05 CTS-V, Maggie, Kooks, Hotchkis, Ground Control, Corsa, B&M, DSS/Hendrix, Full 3M Clear Bra, Autovation, V Headrests, CTS Console, STS-V 55w Fogs, Black Vette FRCs, Specter Werkes, Katech LS9 Clutch, SS Brake Lines, Heavymetals U-Turn Fuel Line Eliminator, Momo Combat Evo Shift Knob, Wldwhl Clear Sidemarkers, Linea Corse LC855 Wheels or OEM wheels w/'06-'07 Center Caps, plus a couple more. 472 RWHP/411 RWTQ (Mustang Dyno).

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    But, as far as cars that have so much electrical crap heaped on them, I'm sure they'll continue to take over the market. Again, I don't think that's necessarily a good thing.

What's critical is that as the electronics increase in complexity they increase *faster* in their ability to self diagnose, or assist in diagnosing. Sometimes we make headway in that department and sometimes we fall back. I love that I can hit the OnStar button and get the diagnosis for a check engine light or other ECU codes while driving without hitting a shop or even pluggin in an OBD II tester. Now they need to give the call center monkeys a better knowledgebase to *draw* on when looking up the codes up.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

I have no problem with the DSG. It is clearly superior to the conventional planetary gear automatic. And I have no illusions, I know it can shift faster than I can even think about shifting.

I am sure the DSG will replace all other transmissions (unless something even better comes along.) And I am sure they will work out the herky-jerky nature of it.
    But for now, I will stick with my old-fashioned, single-clutch, shift-it-urself standard transmission. It may be slower, but it is definitely more fun than pressing a button.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.