Interesting facts on the LSA
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Interesting facts on the LSA in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Check this out, the LSA is also a boat engine, built in Mexico??? Guess the 05 V with the LS-6 ...
    StealthCTSVJJL is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac CTS V

Interesting facts on the LSA

Check this out, the LSA is also a boat engine, built in Mexico??? Guess the 05 V with the LS-6 is still the only V with a real car engine!

http://www.gm.com/explore/technology...LSA_Marine.pdf

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Re: Interesting facts on the LSA

That info has already been posted here. No biggie that the engine is also available for marine applications. Hell, the Northstar was available for marine use, and the last ZR1 engine was built by Mercury Marine I believe.

BowenCT is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '04 CTS-V platinum/blk.

When was the Northstar used in a marine application? I was not aware. Yes, the ZR-1 motor was designed by Mercury. The hot new motor in the high-end offshore scene is a marinized version of the Viper V-10.

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Remember - Marine engines have the chick magnet factor.

Quote Originally Posted by BowenCT View Post
    When was the Northstar used in a marine application? I was not aware.
    I remember seeing one of these at a car show hooked to the back of an Escalade:

http://www.tmcowners.com/market/show...duct=267&cat=6

http://www.rbbi.com/folders/show/98imtec/98imcrft.htm

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

I bet it sounds like crap. Two inline-5s sounds flatuant from the stock Viper.

Norm

When was the Northstar used in a marine application? I was not aware. Yes, the ZR-1 motor was designed by Mercury. The hot new motor in the high-end offshore scene is a marinized version of the Viper V-10.

Like one of these? I've had three, '99, '00, and '01. They were available with optional 'Northstar Ignition'. Still just a Chevy FI 5.7 or 6.0 pushrod block, not a Northstar.

Like one of these? I've had three, '99, '00, and '01. They were available with optional 'Northstar Ignition'. Still just a Chevy FI 5.7 or 6.0 pushrod block, not a Northstar.
    ???
    What do you mean NOT a Northstar? You talking about the truck?

Yeah the truck........? Let me ask you, did you not post a link with a MasterCraft boat? That's what I thought. Those boats DO NOT (caps, right?) have Northstar motors in them. Back in '97/'98 when the Escalade was coming to fruition, Cadillac and MasterCraft developed a co-promotion where they touted the use of the Northstar motor. Just as the Escalade never received it, neither did the boats.

The available motors were 5.7 (LTR) and 6.0 (LQ9) blocks. I even believe now the 8.1 (L18) is offered as an option. All equipped with what was/is referred to as a 'Northstar Ignition', which is a distributor-free ignition.

GTPprix is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE

I'm guessing if you are unhappy it has a marine option you'll be unhappy if it still ends up in a truck eh? (CAFE sucks LOL)

Yeah the truck........? Let me ask you, did you not post a link with a MasterCraft boat? That's what I thought. Those boats DO NOT (caps, right?) have Northstar motors in them. Back in '97/'98 when the Escalade was coming to fruition, Cadillac and MasterCraft developed a co-promotion where they touted the use of the Northstar motor. Just as the Escalade never received it, neither did the boats.

The available motors were 5.7 (LTR) and 6.0 (LQ9) blocks. I even believe now the 8.1 (L18) is offered as an option. All equipped with what was/is referred to as a 'Northstar Ignition', which is a distributor-free ignition.
    Not that I'm a Mastercraft expert but the sites I've looked at that quote "Master Craft History" seem to state that the "LTR" engine was a Northstar while the "LQ9" was a Vortec engine. Furthermore, I know I actually saw a Northstar engine in a Mastercraft boat at a car show. The attached photo of the engine in the boat sure looks like a Northstar too.

Here's another interesting twist that I found right here in our own archives:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...tml#post635355

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Read the post again - "Northstar Ignition"

LSA > LS6 > LS2 or another way to say the same thing: Chick Factor > Z06-V > Truck engine.

Deal with it.

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV View Post
    Read the post again - "Northstar Ignition"

LSA > LS6 > LS2 or another way to say the same thing: Chick Factor > Z06-V > Truck engine.

Deal with it.

Dude, you having a liquid lunch or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    Not that I'm a Mastercraft expert but the sites I've looked at that quote "Master Craft History" seem to state that the "LTR" engine was a Northstar while the "LQ9" was a Vortec engine. Furthermore, I know I actually saw a Northstar engine in a Mastercraft boat at a car show. The attached photo of the engine in the boat sure looks like a Northstar too.
    The LTR is most certainly not a Northstar. The LTR is basically an LT1, the 'R' nomenclature, within the industry, stood for 'replacement' when the LT1 was no longer available. However, it's still a 350ci, 330hp, FI, push rod V8. Again, I owned 3, and everyone of them said 'Northstar' right on top of the motor.

Whether you did or didn't see a Northstar engine in a MasterCraft is questionable. Did they produce one as a preproduction show unit before the idea was scrapped? I suppose that's possible, or, more likely you are just mistaken. Not a big deal, it happens.

Referring to the photo you attached, where is that from? Now, back to my original post within this thread, "When was the Northstar used in a marine application? I was [and still am] not aware." The only reason I asked is because I think it is neat if in fact it was used, and I would like to learn more about it, that's all.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.