As Fast As An 07 Corvette - Page 6
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, As Fast As An 07 Corvette in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ^ Good one, but I've already covered the differences between a "rebadge" and "platform sharing". Cars like the RS4, CLS ...
    Cadillac Tony is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Re: As Fast As An 07 Corvette

^

Good one, but I've already covered the differences between a "rebadge" and "platform sharing". Cars like the RS4, CLS AMG, M5, CTS-V and Audi R8 wouldn't exist if there wasn't an existing platform to start working from to defray development costs. Halo cars like this are built mainly for the image of the brand, and could never be built at an attainable price if they had to include chassis development into the budget.
    Tony Pagano
    Sales Manager
    Plaza Cadillac
    Leesburg, FL
    (352)787-1323

www.cadillactony.com

The views and opinions of this poster are solely his own and do not represent those of Plaza Cadillac

StealthV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 Z06 / 2013 F150 EcoBeast / 2008 Twin-Turbo Bimmer

Quote Originally Posted by JBsZ06 View Post
    Do I wish it had AWD? Yes.. is it a necessity for success ? Absolutely not..
    Aye.

The 430hp LS3 would be a cool CTS AWD Sport for 50 grand...!
    JMO
    Loaded V6 is right at $50k so let's say $55K fora LS3 loaded with options? Is it too close to the V in price or the perfect baby V to balance the big dog LSA powered V? Sort of the BMW offerings - a handful of base models and M.

JBsZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp

I don't think and its just my opinion....but a LS3 powered CTS sport could run from 40 on up...to 55 g's...

I'd like one with an automatic tranny, awd, fe2 suspension.

All the rest being optional or with various packages..

Maybe its too close to te upcoming Pontiac G8 GXP but I think it would be one hell of a performer..

Maybe te awd system can't handle the torque? of either the LS3 or the LSA...

either way...the new CTS V is going to be a segment leader without a doubt.

Best sports sedan in the world under 100 grand.

JMO

Sounds like the new V should have been basically left alone and repowered with something like a LS3 or L92 (love mine & the engine is used in the Escalade for "family" genes).

For the naturally aspirated V8, price it near where the first gen V was and add optional AWD (with AT or MT) for a few thousand more.

And similar to a "base", Z06 and ZR1 three-level Vette family, have the top level Super-V for those with additional disposable income.

CTS Family Base Price / Power / Engine
    Entry level / $37k / 300 hp / LLT (drop the base engine)
    ............V / $47k / 427 hp / L92
    ...Super-V / $57k / 575 hp / LSA

Putting my GM perspective hat on - Would this 4XX horsepower V pull in new additional buyers or just steal sales volume away from the entry-level and Super-V market?

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV View Post
    Aye.

Loaded V6 is right at $50k so let's say $55K fora LS3 loaded with options? Is it too close to the V in price or the perfect baby V to balance the big dog LSA powered V? Sort of the BMW offerings - a handful of base models and M.

You guys know that the NA small blocks are cheaper to build than the HF v6 right? Price bump is purely based on what the market will bear.

NormV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Kooks,MOMO seats,C5 hubs,3489#

I don't think GM can compete engine for engine, horsepower, and refinement. Notice displacement is always bigger than it's competitors and usually have less output at any rpm. That is why there is no LS3 in up scale GM cars. Same goes for 4 and 6 cylinders. Gm's V6's were so bad they went to Honda for the Saturn VUE to go againist the competition. Pretty sad.

I don't mind playing second fiddle but torque will always rule my world along with more displacement.

Norm

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Torque is also important to me but I put more stock in the overall power curve rather than peak values only. For a street-driven car, I'd much rather have an engine with a broad, usable powerband than one with a peaky narrow one. Even if the broad one is rated lower overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    Torque is also important to me but I put more stock in the overall power curve rather than peak values only. For a street-driven car, I'd much rather have an engine with a broad, usable powerband than one with a peaky narrow one. Even if the broad one is rated lower overall.
    Not too many manufacture cars with peaky, unusable torque curves. That is like saying I like cars with wheels!

If you look at the performance data from the magazines GM is not winning acceleration tests as we know the manufacturer and magazines like to report speed/time categories.

It is usually the "lighter car" with the engine matched gearings that wins. Look at CTS vs. Altima in MT a few months back for an example. GM does give bang for the buck roominess and fuel economy.

Norm

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

I guess I was just trying to say that peak values only tell part of the story. In my mind, I'd rather have an engine with a slightly lower peak but broader, more usable powerband. I'm sure that the LSA is no different than past LSx engines. It could produce far more power if cam'd and tuned for a higher RPM peak. Problem is, you lose bottom and mid-range, and the bottom and mid-range is far more important to me since that's where I spend 90% of my time while driving. If the car was mainly to be used at the track, it would be a different story of course.

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

In my opinion the HF V6 in the CTS is a world class V6, and the output per liter is excellent for an NA engine in the 300 hp DI model. GM does tend to put out flatter torque curves than much of the competition, reducing peak number bragging rights, but increasing area under the curve.

C63 is faster than an 07 Vette eclipsing the C6 by .2-.3 in both to 60 MPH and 1/4 mile. Don't think the bavarian burner will let up at higher speeds either. The C63 makes 20-30 hp/trq and weighs about 500-600 lbs. Looks like V2 has it's work cut out for it!

For the real kicker....it's MSRP is the same as the Vette @ $54,6XX! Hmmm...decisions, decisions....

Norm

BMW is throwing twin turbos on the V8. The power wars are on full tilt.

Glad the 60s are reborn for another go around before the classic pressures spell their demise.

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

Quote Originally Posted by StealthV View Post
    BMW is throwing twin turbos on the V8. The power wars are on full tilt.

Glad the 60s are reborn for another go around before the classic pressures spell their demise.
    $4 gallon gas this summer. It will all be over soon.

JBsZ06 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2008 CTS AWD FE2 DI 304hp

Quote Originally Posted by CVP33 View Post
    $4 gallon gas this summer. It will all be over soon.
    People who enjoy driving their cars wont go to slower cars when the gas prices go higher this summer..

At least I know I won't.

JMO

JB

CVP33 is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '04V, '05V, '06SRT8, '10V sedan, '13ZL1 vert, '12 V coupe

People who enjoy driving their cars wont go to slower cars when the gas prices go higher this summer..

At least I know I won't.

JMO

JB
    Me either. I currently average 16mpg.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.