Anyone 100% buying the day they arrive? - Page 8
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Anyone 100% buying the day they arrive? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Sarcastic much? Sheesh.... I can't recall ever putting myself in a situation where I'd have to slalom left and right ...
    The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

Re: Anyone 100% buying the day they arrive?

Sarcastic much? Sheesh....

I can't recall ever putting myself in a situation where I'd have to slalom left and right to avoid danger. Driving a safe distance behind and paying attention all these years has paid off, I suppose. On the other hand, I constantly find myself driving hard through windy roads or accelerating while turning at a pretty sharp angle up a cloverleaf onto the Interstate, so I'm more interested in the initial turn in characteristics and and lateral grip.

If your commute frequently requires slalom maneuvers to avoid a crash, I'd recommend either changing jobs or buying a Miata.
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

P-Funk is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 Raven CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    Sarcastic much? Sheesh....

I can't recall ever putting myself in a situation where I'd have to slalom left and right to avoid danger. Driving a safe distance behind and paying attention all these years has paid off, I suppose. On the other hand, I constantly find myself driving hard through windy roads or accelerating while turning at a pretty sharp angle up a cloverleaf onto the Interstate, so I'm more interested in the initial turn in characteristics and and lateral grip.

If your commute frequently requires slalom maneuvers to avoid a crash, I'd recommend either changing jobs or buying a Miata.
    That's my point exactly. I do most of my hard turns from the feeder road onto another 4 or 6 lane road and get it going pretty good when there aren't many cars. When there's traffic or smaller roads, just take it easy.

atdeneve is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

Gentleman, I wasn't necessarily speaking on behalf of myself. No, I don't find myself swerving everywhere to avoid sudden onslaughts of unforeseen obstacles. So, although I sincerely appreciate the advice on job changes, vehicle choices, and driving behavior, that is not exactly the issue. What I'm saying is that, on average, slalom type maneuvers are more applicable to the driving population as a whole, rather than a skid pad.

Regardless, if I had to assess a vehicle's performance off of one test, either the skid pad or the slalom, I would readily go with the slalom. Each and every time. Due to its dynamic nature, the slalom is a multi-variable test that incorporates many factors - vehicle transition, lateral loads, turn-in characteristics, throttle control, steering feel/preciseness. The skid pad incorporates but one - maximum lateral grip.

You yourselves describe such situations in which you would use all of those variables incorporated into a slalom test and yet you guys still seem to argue otherwise. A slalom gives you more information about a vehicle's performance capabilities than a skid pad. Period. Das eet. No mas. Si? Si. Muy bien.

Yeah, I know, I'm a sarcastic bastard. Not exactly the most endearing quality. Or so my mommy tells me. Hehe.

Dave's V is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Does it really matter anyway since 90% of the drivers that buy the new V will never reach the car's full limits.

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Why don't we let the general V population who post here decide.

Could somebody please initiate a poll that asks the question:
    What is the most important performance characteristic for the 09 CTS V that can be measured in a commonly available test ?

Possible answers:
    • straight line acceleration time
    • braking distance
    • skid pad g force
    • slalom time
    • lap time
    Feel free to add other tests but I think these are the basics. Let's settle this once and for all!

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Rich H View Post

What is the most important performance characteristic for the 09 CTS V that can be measured in a commonly available test ?

Possible answers:
    • braking distance
    • skid pad g force
    • slalom time
    • lap time
    Feel free to add other tests but I think these are the basics. Let's settle this once and for all!
    lap time. period.

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

ylwjacket is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Possible answers:
    • braking distance
    • skid pad g force
    • slalom time
    • lap time
    Should chick magnet be on the list? I was told it would be a chick magnet, so I put a deposit down right away. Is it fast also?

Rich H is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by ylwjacket View Post
    Should chick magnet be on the list? I was told it would be a chick magnet, so I put a deposit down right away. Is it fast also?
    As long as it can be easily measured and reported in some fashion. How many chicks have you had in (or on) you car at one time?

V-Love is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2004 CTSV(killed), 2005 CTSV(killed that too).

Quote Originally Posted by Dave's V View Post
    Does it really matter anyway since 90% of the drivers that buy the new V will never reach the car's full limits.
    Thats why every V owner must hit the track at least once. Lap time is the best test.

Katshot is offline Cadillac Owners Master

Possible answers:
    • braking distance
    • skid pad g force
    • slalom time
    • lap time
    From reading everyone's posts, I think that straight line acceleration is #1. My reason is that everyone seems fixated on the car's power more than anything, and that translates most directly into faster acceleration.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    From reading everyone's posts, I think that straight line acceleration is #1. My reason is that everyone seems fixated on the car's power more than anything, and that translates most directly into faster acceleration.
    Are you serious? That's a lie and unless you really are crazy, you know it...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

Dude, look at the posts. There's WAY more concerning the V2's power than anything else. People seem mostly concerned with the power of the car.

The people posting about power are only doing it to point out the flaws in your ridiculous complaining about the car's weight.

Quote Originally Posted by The Tony Show View Post
    The people posting about power are only doing it to point out the flaws in your ridiculous complaining about the car's weight.
    Wow! Had no idea I wielded such power. Also didn't realize I was the only one concerned about the weight of the car. Hmmm....

Quote Originally Posted by Katshot View Post
    Wow! Had no idea I wielded such power. Also didn't realize I was the only one concerned about the weight of the car. Hmmm....
    Only the power to annoy.....

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.