Cadillac Owners Forum banner
10K views 53 replies 23 participants last post by  HiTechRV 
#1 ·
It looks like they went all out... why cheap out on an essentially auto stick trans.

I'll be getting the six speed.

#6 ·
I don't like it :mad2:
I love (and brag about) the fact that our cars ONLY come in stick :cloud9:
To me, its very exclusive :lildevil:

#16 ·
While I also love my 6spd, my feelings are that GM will be pushing this second generation V further upmarket, and will produce more with auto trannies than manuals, eventually phasing out the manual.

They are going to be able to sell more Vs with an auto trans... and have fewer headaches linked to driveline problems (blown diffs, halfshafts, sticking clutch pedals, wheelhop), especially with a more advanced torque management system to control it. How many STS-Vs do you hear about with driveline problems?

And... look at the 08 CTS... or older years. The number that GM produced with the manual tranny is very small. And they still haven't done much to refine the Aisin(?) tranny either, and you practically have to special order your CTS to get one.

Just my gut feeling that, by the 2nd or 3rd year of production, the Tremec 6 spd will be history in a GenII V.

I hope I'm wrong, because it will take me that long to be in a position to buy one and I want to be able to push in a clutch pedal.

#17 ·
This may be fu*%ed up, but I hate that, all the posers will be able to get a V now.
We already have guys bitchin n moaning about all the little things that make this car what it is. IMO they have no idea what a real muscle car is. Probably got it just for the statis.

Unfortunately, I do think GM is doing the right thing in the long run.
We have a nice little group here. Its a shame that it will be getting watered down (even though some guys already feel that way).

#20 ·
Based on the spec sheet, both are 3.73

#42 ·
Had to chime in:

No Slushbox Posers :lildevil:

Glad to hear some of you are still keeping the spirit of performance driving alive.
:yeah::burn::burn::burn::burn::yeah:

#25 ·
Unfortunately, my wife doesn't drive standard, and she has to be able to drive my car in a pinch.

I drove manual until a few years after I married.....then needed to have knee surgery. It was SO painful to have to move my manual car out of the way so the wife could get to work that first time after surgery.....

Been driving slushboxes since. :(

I will be purchasing the 6AT.

#27 ·
Prolly an auto. Gotta drive both first, just because. Prolly an auto though.

On a different note, has anybody noticed how they don't show Stallone's face in those Rambo commercials on TV? As if we won't notice. Or as if we'll forget that he's like 75. :lol:

#29 ·
Out of six cars (all V8's), we have five manuals. Only my wife's '05 GP GXP is an auto. I love the comments I get from people when I tell them the V is a 6-speed: "In a Cadillac?" I hope manuals never go away but obviously we are in the minority. Most younger people can't even drive them.

Chuck

#33 ·
Which transmission do you think will be able to handle more power mods? Cuz you all know we're going to start modding within a few months of taking ownership.

#34 ·
I had thought stick hands down. With some more thought, I will actually pick whichever one gets better 1/4 mile times. The launch control might actually work better with the auto than the stick because the computer has more control over instantaneous wheel torque. Quickest ET is the one I want.

#40 ·
Wow, I owe you guys a lot of credit for hanging with a stick all this time, when you really wanted an auto.
At least you did not jump ship for a Chrysler or Lexus.

Ok one last suggestion.
Buy the stick and carpool. :D
When it's your turn to drive, just tell your colleuges that you can't drive stick in traffic and I'm sure one of them will be glad to take your shift at the helm.

#46 ·
as an owner of the acclaimed DSG dual clutch auto trans in a gti, i'm telling you guys there no better experience then having full control of shifting. it's the one of 2 things i truly hate about my car (the other is wrong wheel drive). unless your left foot is barely functioning, get a stick. if you want a car that is comfortable and reasonably quick for daily driving, might i suggest the direct injected 2008 cts with the six speed auto? i think it's a travesty to put a true automatic in a car like the cts-v.

#48 · (Edited)
... i'm telling you guys there no better experience then having full control of shifting. ...
Well said FastCaddy. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure why the disagreeing slushie lovers feel compelled to post in this thread.

How suposed enthusiasts can let traffic dictate their choice in transmission is beyond me. :bigroll:

I have no issues with traffic and manual trans.
I actually prefer a manual in traffic.
As long as it's a smooth clutch and resonable effort pedal.

With so few cars left, that can be purchased with a manual, it just seems a shame people aren't taking advantage of that.
Especially in a V.

Suposedly you guys buy a V to be a cut above the norm, yet you opt for the common slushbox. :thehand:

#49 ·
thats it... we are splitting up the new 09 board for auto owners and manual owners.... They will not be able to view or post in each other's forums (because we all know manuals are WAY better and should not need to share anything with "posers" who drive slushboxes)

Reed
(PS. If you think this thread is serious, get a life!)

#52 ·
If/when I buy one, it will probably be the auto version if my current situation is the same it is now. That I'm single (not married) and own only one vehicle that is my daily driver. When I had the CTS-V I twisted my knee at work (left leg) going up the stairs carrying some equipment. It wasn't enough to seek medical help, just enough to be painful for a couple of weeks using it. Then I thought about what my situation would be if I had seriously hurt it. A broken arm or leg would make driving the stick basically impossible and I would have to rent an auto until I regained use of it. Yeah I could buy a 2nd beater that's an auto, but realistically it would just sit around as I would want to drive the V. So that money spent would be wasted and I'd be paying additional insurance for something never driven. Better to just save that cash for a rental if needed.

#54 ·
I read it in Car and Driver or Motor Trend when the manual M5 was first reviewed. Seems it was somewhere around 2 tenths slower, detuned due to a wheel hop issue with the manual. I may have actually posted about it in the 2004-2007 V area as a matter of fact. I remember being happy GM did not wimp out and detune because of wheel hop.

The latest Motor Trend:

"The final-drive ratio of the automatic cars has been tweaked to ensure comparable performance to the manual versions, and the paddle-shift manual mode allows drivers to hold gears until the engine is bouncing off the rev limiter."

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.