Paddle Shift + Torque Converter? No thanks. - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Paddle Shift + Torque Converter? No thanks. in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; While I also love my 6spd, my feelings are that GM will be pushing this second generation V further upmarket, ...
    OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: Paddle Shift + Torque Converter? No thanks.

While I also love my 6spd, my feelings are that GM will be pushing this second generation V further upmarket, and will produce more with auto trannies than manuals, eventually phasing out the manual.

They are going to be able to sell more Vs with an auto trans... and have fewer headaches linked to driveline problems (blown diffs, halfshafts, sticking clutch pedals, wheelhop), especially with a more advanced torque management system to control it. How many STS-Vs do you hear about with driveline problems?

And... look at the 08 CTS... or older years. The number that GM produced with the manual tranny is very small. And they still haven't done much to refine the Aisin(?) tranny either, and you practically have to special order your CTS to get one.

Just my gut feeling that, by the 2nd or 3rd year of production, the Tremec 6 spd will be history in a GenII V.

I hope I'm wrong, because it will take me that long to be in a position to buy one and I want to be able to push in a clutch pedal.

Twitch is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '00 SLS, 98 SLS, 89 Eldo, '80 Eldo

Quote Originally Posted by OldRoadDawg View Post
    While I also love my 6spd, my feelings are that GM will be pushing this second generation V further upmarket, and will produce more with auto trannies than manuals, eventually phasing out the manual.

They are going to be able to sell more Vs with an auto trans... and have fewer headaches linked to driveline problems (blown diffs, halfshafts, sticking clutch pedals, wheelhop), especially with a more advanced torque management system to control it. How many STS-Vs do you hear about with driveline problems?

And... look at the 08 CTS... or older years. The number that GM produced with the manual tranny is very small. And they still haven't done much to refine the Aisin(?) tranny either, and you practically have to special order your CTS to get one.

Just my gut feeling that, by the 2nd or 3rd year of production, the Tremec 6 spd will be history in a GenII V.

I hope I'm wrong, because it will take me that long to be in a position to buy one and I want to be able to push in a clutch pedal.
    This may be fu*%ed up, but I hate that, all the posers will be able to get a V now.
    We already have guys bitchin n moaning about all the little things that make this car what it is. IMO they have no idea what a real muscle car is. Probably got it just for the statis.

Unfortunately, I do think GM is doing the right thing in the long run.
    We have a nice little group here. Its a shame that it will be getting watered down (even though some guys already feel that way).

pietroraimondi is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 07 SRX V8 AWD Diamond White Sport Edition & 08 C6 LS3/418ci

Dave....are you moonlighting as a fortune teller at the Pa. State Fair?

I know that you hope your wrong, but I think you've made a pretty strong case that the Tremec manual has it's days numbered for all of the very logical reasons that you outlined above.

With a 5 Year 100,000 mile warranty; GM certainly does not want to repeat the mistakes of the past with replacing expensive drive train components from redline hole shots on this 4300 pound beast.

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~

I'll take the auto.. Happy to see it's being offered. I wonder if they are going to have two seperate rear differential gear ratios, one ratio for the auto, and another ratio for the standard.

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Quote Originally Posted by austin View Post
    I'll take the auto.. Happy to see it's being offered. I wonder if they are going to have two seperate rear differential gear ratios, one ratio for the auto, and another ratio for the standard.
    Based on the spec sheet, both are 3.73

austin is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ~2011 CTS-V Coupe & 2013 SRX~

>Based on the spec sheet, both are 3.73

Thanks. That is good news.

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

This car is Caddy's racing platform. I don't see the stick going away. But I do see the auto dramatically outselling the stick. The stick will still be more exclusive though.

lunarx is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 05 Mallett 427 CTS-V, 10 E63 AMG

Had to chime in:

No Slushbox Posers

Glad to hear some of you are still keeping the spirit of performance driving alive.
    05 Mallett [M]/RPM CTS-V: 522WHP 487WTQ (DYNOmite) | 427 C5R Block | P&P LS7 Heads | Dry Sump Oil sys (12qt) | [M] Oi1 Cooler | Aeromotive 340 FP | LPE CAI | SW 1-3/4" Headars | RT Hi Flow Cats | B&B 3" Exhuast | ACT Twin Disk Clutch | UUC Shifter | RPM Trans Level-V Build | MN6 Geer Ratio Conv | Cryo Treated Diff | GM T2 Diff Cooler | [M] Anti Wheel Hop Kit | FG2 Shocks | SS Brake Limes | Slotted Cryo Rotars | [M] Modified Front Spindles | 275-35-19 PS2 F&R | [M] 19x9 Billet Whels F&R |

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechRV View Post
    This car is Caddy's racing platform. I don't see the stick going away. But I do see the auto dramatically outselling the stick. The stick will still be more exclusive though.
    The GenI V was Caddy's racing platform. But they've dropped out of the SCCA series. Not sure what kind of a fit a S/C'd 4200lb sedan would be in that series.

Whatever happens... I'm hanging on to my '04 gear cruncher.

neuronbob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Unfortunately, my wife doesn't drive standard, and she has to be able to drive my car in a pinch.

I drove manual until a few years after I married.....then needed to have knee surgery. It was SO painful to have to move my manual car out of the way so the wife could get to work that first time after surgery.....

Been driving slushboxes since.

I will be purchasing the 6AT.

SLPR 6.0L is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by StealthViggen View Post
    Pretty Sure that it's a clutched TC, with full lock up. Don't hate till you drive it. I bet the auto is faster that the 6 speed.
    Exactly, goona be the biggest slepper since the 87 GNX/ 89 TA turbo. Automatic keeps it spooling/screwin!

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Prolly an auto. Gotta drive both first, just because. Prolly an auto though.

On a different note, has anybody noticed how they don't show Stallone's face in those Rambo commercials on TV? As if we won't notice. Or as if we'll forget that he's like 75.

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by HiTechRV View Post
    The auto will outstell the stick 10-1. That is because at the price point only wealthy men generally up in age will buy the car, who don't ever plan on driving it over 70mph. It will be the rich mans Buick.

Chuck is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Out of six cars (all V8's), we have five manuals. Only my wife's '05 GP GXP is an auto. I love the comments I get from people when I tell them the V is a 6-speed: "In a Cadillac?" I hope manuals never go away but obviously we are in the minority. Most younger people can't even drive them.

Chuck

neuronbob is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by Jpjr View Post
    The auto will outstell the stick 10-1. That is because at the price point only wealthy men generally up in age will buy the car, who don't ever plan on driving it over 70mph. It will be the rich mans Buick.
    Define "up in age". I'm 39.....and feeling it's too bad the car is planned for release three months after my 40th birthday. And my freeway cruising speed is 80-85 in interurban driving.

Ah yes, my midlife crisis car....at least I'll be able to put a baby seat in the back.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.