Is this it? - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V General Discussion Discussion, Is this it? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I am going to get a new car next year. Currently, I have the first production slot at my dealer. ...
    ylwjacket is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Re: Is this it?

I am going to get a new car next year. Currently, I have the first production slot at my dealer. The other cars I am considering are they M5 and M6. I have looked at them both, but haven't gone for a test drive. I am waiting until after Jan 20 to go for a test drive. So, based on the above, I have a few questions:

- how soon would some aftermarket stuff be available, expecially given that this a new engine? we had a to wait a year after the 'o4's came out before a cold air intake was functional, much less a supercharger or anything else. when i ordered my V (April 05), the Corsa was available as a line item on the purchase, but was a few months from delivery. the FG2 shocks were available, but i didn't know anything about them at the time. So, will there be a 1-yr lag before anything interesting comes along?
    - pulley swap - from what I have been able to gather, a pulley swap is good for about 40-80 hp, with similar torque gains. is it really that easy, and does this exist now?
    - tunes - will custom tuning be available right away, or will there be some learning curve to that as well?

From the numbers, it looks to me that the M series is a little low on torque, whereas the V will have plenty. I won't know until I drive the M.

The Tony Show is offline See you in the funny papers
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 05 STS, 07 SRX- All sold :(

The CTS-V's "cam in block" design will most likely utilize essentially the same tables as the LS6 or LS2, albeit with different values and obviously a MAP sensor for pulling timing under high boost.

Rick at StealthV or any other good LSx dyno tuner will be able to tune this car to run on a smaller pulley as soon as the pulley is available (which you can count on being quick courtesy of the 'Vette guys).
    Rest in Peace, J.D. (aka Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

Quote Originally Posted by ylwjacket View Post
    - pulley swap - from what I have been able to gather, a pulley swap is good for about 40-80 hp, with similar torque gains. is it really that easy, and does this exist now?
    Yes. OEM superchargers leave boost on the table, usually for NVH reasons.
    Often you do not even need an ECU update though it will run better with one.

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

First mod: powder coating. Lots and lots of powder coating.

trukk is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): '05 CTS-V, '12 CTS-V Manny Vagon

Quote Originally Posted by lawfive View Post
    First mod: powder coating. Lots and lots of powder coating.
    Fuzzy Dice - Biotchux!

-Chris
    2005 CTS-V:No Roof|T2+Eibachs|Corsa|UUC:Shifter, 2pc rotors, B-Lines, Motor/Tran Mounts, Diff Bushings|LPE CAI|FFV IntakeTube|Hotchkis Sways|Kooks 1.75 Coated LTs+cats|KARS III |Mamofied Fast90 + NW90|224/228 111+0 XFI/XE-R .609/.588+Dual Springs|ATI 25% UD Pulley|YT 1.7" UltraLites|Melling HiFlow OP|Cloyes Hex Adjust Timing Set|Lucas 42# Flow Matched Injectors|Katech LS9X Twin-Disk ClutchMustang Dyno Tuned (SAE): 412rwhp / 380 rwtq
    2012 CTS-V:No Roof|Wagon|M6|Recaros|Bone stock (for now)

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

Fixed up the front a little

v84life is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05CTS-v plat, 07 Escalade quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post

Fixed up the front a little
    Can you please do the rest of the chrome and the wheels... . Please, please After reading this thread over again and looking real hard at all the pics. I have to say its growing on me. Still not sure about the rear though and the fog light area. On the positive side the rear tires look huge and the brakes look huge with 6-pot fronts and the wheels do seem to have a deep offset more like BMW yummm

lawfive is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan; 2005 Maggied CTS-V; 2004 Lightning

Thx Jon. The wheels are fine but... the grill, the side 'vent,' the window trim chrome, and the thingie on the back all need to be body color.

Second mod: somebody figures out how to get the amber out of that sealed unit.

Jon
    Jon is offline Cadillac Owners Master
    Automobile(s): 04 CTS-V, 09 CTS Premium 6 Speed, 04 CTS 3.6L, 2014 ATS 2.0T

If I have a minute I'll do that tomorrow.

For that pic I was just doing what I'd want. Bigger grille, black mesh, fixed up the bumper so there aren't "cheeks". Fixed teh bottom of that bumper too.

Jpjr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

First of all, yes the infamous S/C "upper" pulley swap may be dollar-for-dollar the greatest garage mod of all time.

Regarding potential HP gain with a pulley swap, it all depends on the stock pulley and blower. The size of the pulley determines how long of a belt you use and therefore how fast the crank turns your supercharger. When you go with a smaller diameter pulley, the pulley spins faster and turns the blower faster, increasing boost. More boost = more air through the motor = more power. If the chassis is stout like I expect it to be (i.e., minimal supporting mods to get the extra power to the wheels), you can be looking at up to 150rwhp increase. Some things to first consider, however, are the safe operating range of your blower and the agressiveness of your tune.... turning the wick up can cause detonation if fuel delivery can't keep up = risk of blowing your motor. So you have to be careful.

Here are the current unknowns:

1. The size of the upper pulley that GM will use. (larger stock pulley = greater potential for aftermarket gains).

2. The ease of pulley swap (upper pulley typically requires a pulley removal tool, however some manufacturers are designing blowers that mount the upper pulley in the rear so that it is difficult to remove, or else integrating the pulley into the blower housing making it impossible to remove without a blower swap. i don't expect this issue with the new GM motor, but it is nonetheless a concern).

3. The type and efficiency of the blower. (guessing roots style blower that will be good for up to 100-150hp increase with a pulley swap and port job).

4. The size and mod-ability of the lower crank pulley that GM will use. (this one is typically rated in pounds and is more difficult to remove, but can also be changed for significant increases in torque).

5. Supporting mods (primarily fuel delivery, wheel hop, etc.)

To top everything off, installing an aftermarket twin-screw style blower on these cars should be relatively straightforward and result in MASSIVE hp gains, since the internals will already be built for forced induction. A $3k blower and $1.5k worth of supporting mods + tune could net you 200-300rwhp increases easy. If you compare that to the cost of the car, it is a minimal investment for M5 killer performance gains.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

first mod; better insurance company

HiTechRV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): STS-V the most powerful Cadillac you can buy for now

Pulley for sure. I used to have fun doing easy mods on SC 3800s. Down to about a 3.4" pulley the factory calibration worked great for the ECU, though the traction control could not do much anymore. You are so right about the built up internals on a boosted engine.

I like the blacked out mesh but leaving the chrome accents all around. Might even look good with black racing wheels.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Now thats not very nice. As we certainly appreciate your brilliant remarks as it would be great if you actually had a valid reason to make such remarks in regards to D3. Nevertheless our support will continue. While we continue to devlop products for your fellow Cadillac owners, we will be sure to provide you with numerous opportunities to actually experience D3 first hand rather than trendy vendor bashing.
    Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3

Quote Originally Posted by trukk View Post
    BWAHAHAHA

Go back to the CTS or STS-V forums. Rather yet, just go away.

D3 - Laughed at by all, respected by none.

Morons. They have no idea what this saloon has under the bonnet.

-Chris

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Very good points!!
    Its our understanding that GM is using the new Gen6 blower produced by Eaton. Although this blower is VERY efficient, they (GM) should have left a little bit on the table. The question is how do you unlock it. As we have seen with the 4.4 SC motor, GM left a lot to be desired in the intercooling system. Furthermore there will be a great deal of hurdles to jump as the engineers are fully aware of what the gearheads will do to these cars once they get their hands on them. But as always, its just a matter of time before they all figure it out.

The Supercharger Pulley will be the same as the non-serviceable pulley that is offered with the 4.4 Northstar motor. This means you will have to machine off the bolt and use a new fastener for the new pulley. Quite a lot of work considering what you would have to do. Not to mention, if you mess up you have to purchase a complete new blower as it will only have (1) main part number with a ton of non-serviceable supporting part numbers.

Just food for thought....

Dr. Design
    D3

Quote Originally Posted by Jpjr View Post
    First of all, yes the infamous S/C "upper" pulley swap may be dollar-for-dollar the greatest garage mod of all time.

Regarding potential HP gain with a pulley swap, it all depends on the stock pulley and blower. The size of the pulley determines how long of a belt you use and therefore how fast the crank turns your supercharger. When you go with a smaller diameter pulley, the pulley spins faster and turns the blower faster, increasing boost. More boost = more air through the motor = more power. If the chassis is stout like I expect it to be (i.e., minimal supporting mods to get the extra power to the wheels), you can be looking at up to 150rwhp increase. Some things to first consider, however, are the safe operating range of your blower and the agressiveness of your tune.... turning the wick up can cause detonation if fuel delivery can't keep up = risk of blowing your motor. So you have to be careful.

Here are the current unknowns:

1. The size of the upper pulley that GM will use. (larger stock pulley = greater potential for aftermarket gains).

2. The ease of pulley swap (upper pulley typically requires a pulley removal tool, however some manufacturers are designing blowers that mount the upper pulley in the rear so that it is difficult to remove, or else integrating the pulley into the blower housing making it impossible to remove without a blower swap. i don't expect this issue with the new GM motor, but it is nonetheless a concern).

3. The type and efficiency of the blower. (guessing roots style blower that will be good for up to 100-150hp increase with a pulley swap and port job).

4. The size and mod-ability of the lower crank pulley that GM will use. (this one is typically rated in pounds and is more difficult to remove, but can also be changed for significant increases in torque).

5. Supporting mods (primarily fuel delivery, wheel hop, etc.)

To top everything off, installing an aftermarket twin-screw style blower on these cars should be relatively straightforward and result in MASSIVE hp gains, since the internals will already be built for forced induction. A $3k blower and $1.5k worth of supporting mods + tune could net you 200-300rwhp increases easy. If you compare that to the cost of the car, it is a minimal investment for M5 killer performance gains.

Johnny R is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V

Just wait till the twin screw Kenne Bells and Whipples come out to replace that heaton. I like the looks aside from the mustang FR500 wheels.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.