Paint bubbles. What to do? - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Paint bubbles. What to do? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by datadawg Hmm, this is getting me worried. I have a Vagon getting shipped from TX to PA ...
    thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Quote Originally Posted by datadawg View Post

Hmm, this is getting me worried. I have a Vagon getting shipped from TX to PA later this week. It's a 2014 Plum. Originally, they promised to ship it using a transit cover, but today sales guy told me they are concerned the cover would get blown out or ripped and will flap around damaging the car. I agreed to forego the cover. I was wondering if it was a cost issue, he swore it wasn't. But when I asked if they could put the cover inside, he said, no...
    Go get it yourself and DRIVE IT HOME!

tinman is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Re: Paint bubbles. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    Go get it yourself and DRIVE IT HOME!
    I completely agree.
    The only and best solution to the problem.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

+2 drive it yourself, you'll enjoy the drive and you'll get to know your new ride.

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    +2 drive it yourself, you'll enjoy the drive and you'll get to know your new ride.
    Besides, I would be dying from the excitement!

I just got my wagon back yesterday after almost two weeks with the dealer. The invoice says they found rust though the panel and wheel housing. They drilled the bad spot welds at the wheel housing, separated the rear quarter panel, sandblasted the rust from the inner and outer quarter panels and the wheel housing. Then they patched and refilled the area repaired, and applied corrosion protection (don't know which type).

While it was there I had them touch up some of the scratches on the driver's side of the car. Of course, I paid for that part.

The rear part of the side window is a little loose now, and a small scratch under that area. Other than that and the loss of the orange peel in the area repaired, it is almost as if there was nothing there. Once the paint cures, I guess it'll be time for a paint correction on the rest of the car to get rid of the rest of the orange peel?

I do notice that the lining of the rear wheel well is no longer flush to where it meets the panel, on either side. I don't remember that being the case before, perhaps someone can look to see whether that's the way it's supposed to be.

In short, no major complaints on the paint job thus far. I'll have to mention the window to the body shop, though, I don't want a new leak. The car obviously spent a lot of time sitting, as my brakes now wobble when applied. I guess there's dirt on the rotors. About to do a Dawn wash of the car to uncover any other defects. And yes, I know I can't apply sealant/wax for a month. Sigh.

At least I've got the big guy back.

Later....

I stopped mid-wash, before I even got to the portions that were painted. I found a number a problems that weren't there before I brought the wagon in. It'll have to go back to the dealer's body shop to be made right. UGH. I know where all my scratches prior to the paint job were, because I asked for them to be fixed, so I know the new scratches are new.

Problem #1: new dent and peak on the roof. How in fsck would that get there? Where you see the cloud deform on the front of the roof, near the windshield, there is a large, round dent. You can also see a sharp peak.

Problem #2: The rear portion of the driver's side window is misaligned. In the pictures, you see a gap where there was none before. The interior was obviously removed as part of the repair.

Problem #3: The C-pillar is misaligned.

Problem #4 Discoloration of the paint on the top left of the rear hatch and the nearby portion of the roof. What is that?

Problem #5: New scratch on the rear hatch.

Problem #6 (no pic yet, too hard to photograph) another dent on the top side, just above the rear driver's side window. There is also paint discoloration comparable to #4 above.

So I have to go back on Monday and discuss all this with the body shop manager. Couldn't see any of this until I had time to really lay eyes on the car. I am NOT happy, but I am not yet hopping mad, that depends on what happens Monday. I am anal enough about this that it will impact my enjoyment of the car. I've had many paint jobs in my time but this is the first one that was not to my satisfaction.

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    Sorry to hear about the damage to your Vagon. I'm guessing you probably did a walk around of your V with someone at the time you turned it in so any existing dents/scratches would have been documented.
    I hate leaving my car with any repair shop for long because it always seems to come back with a scratch or ding that wasn't there before.
    Hopefully your dealership will do right by you and repair the dents on the roof and scratch on the rear.
    As for the other problems, it should be clear that those were caused in the process of the repairing the initial rust issue.
    Best of luck Monday, let us know how it goes, and in the meantime, don't let it spoil the rest of your holiday weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by vfaninva View Post
    I'm guessing you probably did a walk around of your V with someone at the time you turned it in so any existing dents/scratches would have been documented.
    I am thanking myself that I asked for the other scratches on the car to be repaired at my cost, because I KNOW which scratches were there before, and I went over them with the body shop adviser and said "fix these too, I'll pay for it". The sad thing is that the areas that were repaired looked good, and the clear coat failures were in areas on the same side, but not repaired. Because of these findings, I now have to wonder what else was half-done in the paint job.

No one from the body shop came to see me out when I took delivery of the car, and I could only inspect it inside, with dirt on the car, so these marks I couldn't see until I had good light and went over it the next day. Hopefully it will be a matter of "oops, let's fix that" on Monday. In the meantime, my mellow has been harshed.

Blakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v wagon
    Keep you professional cool!

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

What kind of grubby dirty hands made those marks on the C Pillar......looks like a 5 year old with messy hands took it off.

I noticed that as well, DCV.

So I stopped by and showed all this to the body shop manager today. It took him five seconds to say "paint overspray everywhere". So it sounds like all that will be easy to fix. Apparently the manager was out of town last week, when my car had been repaired but not yet painted, and he was not able to personally inspect the work. The areas repaired were perfect, and the color blending was awesome. However, the overspray was not corrected before I was told the car was ready.

The bottom line is that he indicates that "oops, we'll fix that" including the dent popped, and that's all I wanted. It'll be ready in a few days and hopefully it'll be in good enough shape for the next Cleveland Cars and Coffee next week.

The worth of a dealership's service department is proved in how they respond to problems, and they got right on it. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by DCV View Post
    What kind of grubby dirty hands made those marks on the C Pillar......looks like a 5 year old with messy hands took it off.
    I noticed that at the same time I noticed it was misaligned. They must have had a new kid working on putting my car together after the paint job. I considered that the least of my worries.

Good deal, hope they gave you a decent loaner!

Update:

I got the car back on Thursday. It looks brand new on the outside now. I was well taken care of by my dealer even if it took more than one try to do it right. They put me in a brand new 3.6 ATS4 with navi, not the usual base ATS, as a loaner. That little puppy FLIES, it's easily as fast as my S2000. It's an excellent handler with its RWD-biased AWD, though with a little understeer in steep curves as one would expect. I'd consider one for a commuter, in fact, just based on that "right now" torque and the light weight. After driving that version of the ATS, I am officially a fan of it.

Now I just have to wait a month before I can put Zaino on the new paint job. It's going to be a long month of doing Dawn washes and being unable to use a good paint protectant.

The bigger issue is, what do I do for the winter? If I can avoid further rust, I'd like to. My options are to a) just drive the shzt out of the car and have the other side rebuilt/repainted after it gets a paint bubble (I am now expecting the same to happen on the other side), b) buy/lease (latter more likely) a commuter car which would be the fourth car in my household, or c) spend $800-1000 a month to rent a car during the winter months. Even if I did one of those, I'd still like to drive the V on dry days during the winter. What would you guys do? I'm leaning toward a) but am looking at my options for an "inexpensive" luxury or luxury-type AWD sedan lease (ATS4, TLX, Subaru Legacy Limited, etc.)

Glad to hear the dealer took good care of you and your V is back in your hands.
    Considering your Vagons inherent value to you and your desire to keep it in the best possible condition, I'd say don't let it suffer the road salt, sand, grit and grime that comes from winter driving.
    Go with a short term lease. Like you said, you can still take the V out on good days.
    This is coming from a guy who bought a used RAV4 a few months ago in large part to cut out the dd wear and tear on his own V.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob
    I'd consider one for a commuter, in fact, just based on that "right now" torque and the light weight. After driving that version of the ATS, I am officially a fan of it.
    I think your answer is in your first paragraph!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.