Paint bubbles. What to do? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Paint bubbles. What to do? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by dkozloski Maybe whoever installed the Xpel blistered the paint with a little too much heat from a ...
    neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Re: Paint bubbles. What to do?

Quote Originally Posted by dkozloski View Post
    Maybe whoever installed the Xpel blistered the paint with a little too much heat from a heat gun.
    The Xpel was installed 18 months ago, shortly after my purchase of the wagon, and a paint blister would have appeared long before now, I would think. Can they appear in such a delayed fashion in that circumstance? I'm not aware of such.... I thought a paint bubble was from the paint detaching from the metal, presumably because of contamination on the metal?

FLTRI is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 V-Wagon & 2012 SRX Premium

Subscribed.

Curious to see what this turns out to be. And yes, cars get damaged before delivery, repaired, and the customer isn't told about it. I was a victim of this with my V, had 20 miles on it at delivery.

Took delivery, and when I got home I noticed no "V" emblem on the drivers door. Closer inspection found swirl marks on the stainless trim where they buffed the paint after the door was shot. Took it back, and Service Manager agreed, the door had been repainted. They did a dealer trade with a Boston dealer to get me the color and options I wanted. Manager called Boston and asked WTF?!? Boston said, "Yeah it was damaged in the lot, but we fixed it. Too bad so sad, and thanks for the perfect coupe you traded to us."

Not wanting a car with 20 miles and a repainted door, the dealer pulled an entire front door off of another V he had in stock, and put it on my car, so I have factory paint on it. Don't know what they did with the donor V, but I was satisfied with the outcome. He said transit damage is pretty common...

Paint bubbles. What to do?

At the dealer now. As I feared, they are currently blaming the clear bra but not ruling out a warrantable paint defect given no obvious surface damage. Their plan is to take off the appliqué, which I approved of, and to inspect the paint. They are still gathering data. I told them of the other V wagon owner whose dealer cut off the skin and found massive rust. They did say that if a paint defect, they would likely replace the skin.

I've had clear bra installed professionally on four cars. I've never heard of it causing a paint bubble, which indicates an issue UNDER the paint. I'll know what their official word is shortly. Preparing for the worst but hoping for the best.

2013 6MT OBM V wagon

tinman is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 CTS Vagon 6MT; 2010 CTS Shooting Brake 3.6 DI

Subscribed.

I have not seen any problems on my 2010 standard wagon, but I have been in the process of fixing up and moving into my new condo. I have sorely neglected my wagon, but I will be taking a much closer look, and soon.

6104696 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

I have installed two clear bras in recent years, and several trans am hood decals (back in the 80's). Never have I used a heat gun, and never have I done anything to damage the paint. These materials are put on with cold soapy water, and a squeegee which contacts only the decal, not the paint.

A heat gun could be used to remove Xpel, but I have never needed one to apply it. Some guys to use heat guns to try to eliminate bubbles or wrinkles, but if they screw that up the paint damage would be instantaneous. But there should have not been any need for a heat gun at that relatively smooth area.......

If the dealer is going to blame the Xpel, he needs to explain exactly HOW Xpel could cause a paint bubble or blister.

I installed my Xpel headlight protection with water like 6104696 said. No heat at all.

If any body man uses a heat gun on a car finish they should be fired on the spot. The most heat any vehicle should get is from a hair dryer, which is what I use when I debadge my cars.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Yeah, Clearbra install would not be the cause. Unless correction was needed. And, yes, if the paint was damaged it would show immediately.

I took the clearbra off my V before the sale and it was soooo easy to do without any tools, nevermind heat...

gohawks63 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond CTS-V Coupe, 2011 BMW X5 Premium

Bob, could they have knicked the paint when they installed the X-Pel?

WGT31 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 Vagon TG, Black, Roof, Suede Wheel and Shifter, Polishe

Mine is the other wagon Bob spoke of. It is rust pure and simple. They need to cut the outer skin and replace. Mine had rust about 1/4 of the way up the fender and across the top of the lip. My dealer replaced the skin and repainted. Mine is doing good. Just a paint will not fix the problem they tried it on mine, it came back.

I was told it was a structural defect from the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by gohawks63 View Post
    Bob, could they have knicked the paint when they installed the X-Pel?
    No. The paint was perfect after the Xpel install, and was perfect until two days ago.

No news yet. i was called and told that my wagon was ready, that they'd put some temporary touch up paint where the paint bubble was, and that I'd need to speak with the body shop folks about when to schedule a repair. When I arrived to pick up the wagon, anyone in the know was already gone for the day. I'll have to call in the morning to obtain more data.

The official verdict is a bad spot weld. The paint damage was not worse than it was BECAUSE of the Xpel, they tell me. It is being covered by warranty. It'll be repaired and repainted when I get back from out of town in a couple of weeks. If the bubbles come back, they'll remove the skin at that time. I can live with that.

I'm taking the wagon on a 4k mile road trip starting this weekend and I'll live with the touch up paint-filled crater the body shop left until then.....and when the paint cures another piece of Xpel goes on.

datadawg is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Vagon Ordered

Quote Originally Posted by FLTRI View Post

He said transit damage is pretty common...
    Hmm, this is getting me worried. I have a Vagon getting shipped from TX to PA later this week. It's a 2014 Plum. Originally, they promised to ship it using a transit cover, but today sales guy told me they are concerned the cover would get blown out or ripped and will flap around damaging the car. I agreed to forego the cover. I was wondering if it was a cost issue, he swore it wasn't. But when I asked if they could put the cover inside, he said, no...

vfaninva is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Prev '09 V sedan, Current 2013 Thunder Gray V Coupe
    ^^^I thought all new cars transported nowadays have those strategically placed pieces of white plastic to protect against damage in shipping if they aren't in an enclosed truck.
    Texas to Pennsylvania is a long way to go exposed to who knows what. I would insist on an enclosed truck or some kind of cover.
    Just my .02.
    Sic Semper Tyrannis

mpouls1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '09 V 11.99@118mph, '11 Tahoe LTZ, '03 Silverado, '00 Jetta
    Quote Originally Posted by datadawg View Post

Hmm, this is getting me worried. I have a Vagon getting shipped from TX to PA later this week. It's a 2014 Plum. Originally, they promised to ship it using a transit cover, but today sales guy told me they are concerned the cover would get blown out or ripped and will flap around damaging the car. I agreed to forego the cover. I was wondering if it was a cost issue, he swore it wasn't. But when I asked if they could put the cover inside, he said, no...
    Make sure you do not take delivery in the evening. Do not drive off the lot until you have looked your brand new V over with a fine tooth comb. Dings or dents in the paint, front splitter being damaged from driving up the ramp, scratched rims, you name it.

Hopefully it is not coming from another dealer. If you do find something they will just blame each other. Too many unfortunate stories on the forum.

But just stay positive, you are getting one awesome car.

Take a buddy who is just as anal as you when you go for your inspection of your new ride.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.