Window Tint %
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MoistCabbage
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Window Tint % in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hey guys, wanted your opinion on something. Going to tint the black diamond coupe this weekend and want your opinion ...
    Envy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V COUPE BLACK DIAMOND EDITION

Window Tint %

Hey guys, wanted your opinion on something. Going to tint the black diamond coupe this weekend and want your opinion on tint %

I don't want to go too dark, but I see a lot of people go 20% and I'm thinking 35%

My two main reasons are:
    1. NJ law says no tint at all (but they're not that strict about it)
    2. Still want that luxury/classy feel and don't want the tint to take away from that. (Call me silly if you think that's a silly thought)

Thanks for any and all opinions...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    I have 35% on my car because that's the limit in Mass. I would have went with 20% if I could have. That said, if you have black interior, 35% is pretty dark.
    Envy likes this.

jt1k is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V COUPE

Re: Window Tint %

I have tinted every car i own in NJ. Its really easy that there is no more inspection for this. I have never been bothered with 35% I always went on the side of caution because some friends have twenty and they to get pulled over occasionally. Really depends on the town. I spent the extra for the heat protection film love it.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 V Coupe, 2013 Escalade ESV, 2015 Escalade on Order

I have 15% Llumar all the way around here in CA. Looks awesome!

Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq

no matter what else you do, make sure you do limo (as dark as you can get) on the ultra-view if applicable. fwiw I went 20% on all the rears (sedan doors rear window) and 30% up front (drivers windows).

Quote Originally Posted by Stillborn
    no matter what else you do, make sure you do limo (as dark as you can get) on the ultra-view if applicable. fwiw I went 20% on all the rears (sedan doors rear window) and 30% up front (drivers windows).
    Ultraview?

Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq

power sun/moon roof. not applicable on the coupe I assume?

setherman5000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V 2011
    Went 35% on doors and limo on the rest. It doesn't look like it doesn't match. Also went with the heat resistant.

2manyhotrods is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1999 Eldorado ETC coupe.

Massachusetts has been getting very tough on window tint. At the Mass. DOT inspection stations it's an automatic failure if you're too dark.
    This spring the DOT is really cracking down on drivers they cant view through the window glass.
    Pull you over, site you on the spot and it's a big $fine$ now.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Stillborn View Post

In Massachusetts this car is guaranteed ticket bait within 60 minutes of road time.

You really think it would take that long?

I moved down to jersey from Mass, worst part was giving back my mass Red Sox plates. :-(

But I had 20% all around and passed inspection with their little glass tint device (wasn't the most prestigious inspection spot). It did seem that they were very strict on it than in the past with tickets though.

I am thinking of just sticking with 35% since most say that will be plenty dark, just know that on a black car, could make a difference.

Oddly enough, I don't have any exterior pictures of my car since I swapped in the black interior. Here it is with the shale interior and 35%:

And that's looking straight through towards a bright background. With the black interior, it's much darker.

thegraham77 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS V Coupe Thunder Gray ChromaFlair

I had a black 06 CTS with black interior. Rear doors, rear window and sunroof was between 1-2%. Front was at 38% and it "looked" a lot darker that it really was due to the darkness of the back windows. It looked awesome. Now I have a thunder grey V coupe with 20 and the backs and sun roof and 40 on the doors. I wish I still had 2% on the back. Just a warning (if you care) your rear view mirror won't auto dim with tint on the back window...not really a big deal in my opinion tho. I don't think tint will take anything away from the looks of your car.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage
    Oddly enough, I don't have any exterior pictures of my car since I swapped in the black interior. Here it is with the shale interior and 35%: And that's looking straight through towards a bright background. With the black interior, it's much darker.
    That definitely looks lighter than what I'm going for. I do have the black/saffron interior, but this just made me think 20%

Black'10CTS4 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '10 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '08 CTS4 Prem 3.6DI, '00 STS

I always run 35% and am happy with it. I like the look of 20% but here in MI, there is zero tint allowed. 35% looks good and dark, but not dark enough to get hassled. Plus, there isn't any problem driving at night with 35%.

As far as 35% front and 20%/limo in the back, I'm just really not a fan of mismatched tint.

Here's the 35% on my car:

As you can see, it can look lighter depending on the sun but on an overcast day or towards dusk, it looks much darker.

-Frank

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.