High performance driving school impression of Hankook Ventus V12’s
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Trionalaw
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, High performance driving school impression of Hankook Ventus V12’s in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; ...
    Trionalaw is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

High performance driving school impression of Hankook Ventus V12’s

First, my disclaimer. I had been to numerous driving schools. When I was going to BMW schools, I was promoted quickly from the lowest category (D) to category C. Both of those categories allow breaking only in a straight line. Interestingly, I was quickly promoted to category B, where I learned to trail brake and very gingerly lift the throttle to rotate the backend. When I inquired why I was promoted so quickly, it was because I had learned what I needed to learn and watched my mirrors very carefully so I did not hold anybody up behind me.

With my favorite high performance driving school (see: http://www.1010thsmotorsports.com), I am in the lowest category of the three available: advanced, intermediate and novice. Does not really bother me as at my age my ego only exists for the fact I have been able to maintain my hair growth. Candidly, I am certain I could go faster but I would rather take baby steps, particularly with the power my 2012 CTS V Coupe, six speed manual, possesses. Plus, I have the AirRaid intake system that probably pushes my horsepower to 580. Probably not much of a noticeable difference but psychologically it makes me feel good.

I went to Putnam Park in May for the 10 10th’s driving school. My Michelin PS2’s had made it through 4 driving schools last year and to 17,000+ miles. I changed to Hankook Ventus 12’s: 275/40/19 and 305/30/19 with 10 mm spacers all around. I had messed up my tire pressures with the Michelin’s and after the first driving school had really lost a lot of rubber from the outside edges. Because of that, I was always quite fearful I would blow a tire and therefore ran somewhat slower. With suggestions from forum members, I ran cold pressures at 37 PSI in front and 35 PSI in the rears with a Hankook’s. Tires stayed in the same condition they were when I went to the track. [As always, thanks for the good advice.]

I definitely ran faster. At no point did I feel the car either understeer or oversteer – but remember I have no ego on the track. I had also changed my brake fluid to high performance dot 4. That gave me even more confidence in my brakes so I braked later.

I have used these tires in the past on my M3’s. I freely admit I cannot tell much difference between them and the Michelin’s, which came on my last M3, an E90 6 speed manual. If this means anything, the Michelin’s would often squeal in turns while the Hankook’s do not. And again, I am going quicker through the turns, at least as far as I can tell!

To brag on myself a little bit, I am getting pretty proficient with heel toe shifting. On the long front stretch at Putnam Park I shift from third to fourth gear. Going into turn one I shift down to third. I stay in third gear until I believe turn 7, which is a very slow 90° right-hander. At that turn I downshift to second and shift to third before the next left-hand corner. I stay in third until the front stretch.

As an aside, one of the few things I now appreciate about being 60 years old is I probably will still be able to obtain a manual transmission in my next car or two. You all know that none of the supercars, but for the Audi R8, are offered with manual transmissions. In fact, I may be wrong about the Audi R8 as well. I just read this month that both the Porsche Turbo and GT3 will no longer be offered with a manual transmission. I know the PDK allows for a quicker 0 to 60 time and maybe even faster lap times but those cars are now becoming essentially GTR’s and the new McLaren MP4-12C, cars that you do not drive but rather drive for you. Apologies to anyone who owns either, but read the reviews.

So I felt I was quicker (certainly faster down the front straight), the car handled a little better and I braked later. So all in all, kudos to the Hankook’s. My goal has always been to shut off all the computer nannies and be able to control the car without any help. I believe I am slowly getting there.

Finally, I cannot recommend 10 10th’s more highly. You get more track time for the money. The events are always well run. And, for $50 can join the alumni program, which saves you 10% for each event you attend in 2013. To attend a driving school for one day is $265 and for two days $415. Going to just two events pays for the alumni program. Its next event is Putnam Park the last weekend in June. If you are not familiar with Putnam Park, it is a great track for intermediate and novice drivers because there is only one turn where you can damage your car.

Hope this was helpful. Probably not because I cannot be specific about slip angle, etc. But at least either understeer nor oversteer occurred!
    And do not forget tomorrow is Mother’s Day! And kudos to this forum.

Jim
    pbrv and pbrv like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP
    Hankooks are a great tire for the price. And Putnam Park is a very fun track...

USAFRET is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe A6 w/RECARO's

Re: High performance driving school impression of Hankook Ventus V12’s

I had the V12's on the 08 Jag XK we owned and my 2011 V came with them. Haven't tracked them but I do like how they perform on the street especially in the rain. I have driven them in single digit temps and they weren't dangerous.

But they must be considers one the best replacement performance tires on the market.

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

fact I have been able to maintain my hair growth
    Well, that depends on where its growing from.....to be proud of that is.......Good track day!

NAX-121 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V: 07 EXT: 05 EXT: 05 Ram SRT-10rc: 800hp NORDIC Boat

I have to say my Ventus RS-3's are amazing. Not quite the Toyo R888's but i'm able to remain a C1 production mod class car due to running the Hancook's in the Cadillac Challenge series. I can get Three solid track events out of the tires. Guys constantly give me a hard time about Toyo banners on the car but Hancook's handling business where it counts. But hey when you have a sponsor backing your series you back them also right??. Good luck and thanks for your input.

Attachment 108010

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.