Plasti dip question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Plasti dip question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Attachment 107113 I would like to add some matte black accents on the hood of my V. I attached a ...
    Chosenone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS V

Plasti dip question

Attachment 107113I would like to add some matte black accents on the hood of my V. I attached a really bad quick mock up of what I am talking about. Instead of using vinyl I was thinking of taping off hood and using plasti dip since when it drives it has a matte black finish. Since plastidip needs an edge to break clean when you remove the tape I am wondering if there is anyway to do this with out pulling up the tape and having the plastidip come with it. I would rather not exacto knife it and chance cutting the paint. Any ideas?
    PS This is an old pic by the way, the lame pin stripe has since been removed.
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

TheDarkKnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    In order to pull tape with messing up the dip, you have to shoot the area you wish to cover with the dip, then wait 1-2 minutes not letting it dry, and then re shoot whole area again. Repeat this process 4-5 times with out letting area dry, and after last coat, pull tape immediately. This will give you clean lines

Smokin80 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black Raven CTS V/Manual

Re: Plasti dip question

+1

There is also another way. Put down a few layers of tape.....Put the first line of tape at the final spot you want the edge to be at and then do 2 or 3 more layers of tape but move the line in about a 1/16 or 1/8th inch. Then do a coat of dip and pull one line of tape. Repeat until you get to your final edge.

Warm that can up above ambient temp too and that will help get the least texture possible. I look forward to seeing pics as i havent done a large surface with plasti dip yet...nothing bigger than wheels and grills anyway.

Cheers

I am confused lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Chosenone View Post
    I am confused lol?
    About which part?

Either do all the coats while the dip is still wet or put down 3 or 4 layers of overlapping tape and pull one layer of tape after each coat. Then let the dip dry and do another coat and pull the next line of tape before that coat dries etc etc

Sorry I was confused on the multiple tape procudure. So step 1 is tape off multiple layers of tape and then spray the plastidip down. Then do I let it dry or leave it wet then step 2 is to remove the first outside tape and then spray another coat of plastidip down then remove the next tape then spray another coat down and then remove the final piece of tape. Sorry I am being dumb on this but I guess I cant visualize it. Seems to me that when you got to the inner most piece of tape it would be just like taping off with 1 piece of tape and removing it. I must be missing something here. What do you guys think would look better, plastidipping the stripes or using matte vinyl wrap and trying to cut them to match?

you pull each subsequent layer before it drys. Then you dont pull off the plasti dip with the tape. Then let that coat dry.....then next coat and pull the next tape wet.

Youtube it...lots of vids on plastidip.

BUT...i recommend doing vinyl. Easy to cut...google knifeless tape. Makes doing designs and stripes super easy and the finish is perfect.

Good Luck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.