Ultraview Sunroof Problem - Brand New 2013 CTS-V Sedan - need advice, help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Ultraview Sunroof Problem - Brand New 2013 CTS-V Sedan - need advice, help in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; hey guys, so i picked up my V this past wednesday and am generally happy with it the main problem ...
    MIRINCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Unhappy Ultraview Sunroof Problem - Brand New 2013 CTS-V Sedan - need advice, help

hey guys, so i picked up my V this past wednesday and am generally happy with it

the main problem for me is the ultraview sunroof and the flimsy/transparent sunshade that comes with it - dont get me wrong, the roof looks beautiful, but i didnt realize how useless the sunshade is until i was able to drive the car for a few days

however - i have really fair skin and get sunburnt really easy - skin cancer is also very prevalent in my family

over the weekend i got the sunroof tinted with 5% ceramic film and this seems to help somwhat, but I still feel as if Im cooking under the sun (its a problem in LA)

so now I am considering the following options

1. vinyl wrap the entire roof including ultraview (not sure if this is even possible)
    2. get custom interior upholstery - I was thinking black suede headliner inc. sunshade
    3. trade in the car for something else

despite all of the great things the V has going for it, if I can't resolve this one issue Im afraid im going to have to get rid of it

any suggestions are welcome, thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

sykb47l is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Coupe

Re: Ultraview Sunroof Problem - Brand New 2013 CTS-V Sedan - need advice, help

If the shop used standard tint thats the problem. There are tints that block more heat that work great.

nah it was huper optik ceramic film

DCV
    DCV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV bone stock

well, have a shop just get some steel and weld it in, prime, paint...and your done.

Rule12b is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by DCV View Post
    well, have a shop just get some steel and weld it in, prime, paint...and your done.
    I used a single plate of carbon fiber. Probably not what he's looking for his DD though ;-)
    MIRINCTSV and MIRINCTSV like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rule12b View Post
    I used a single plate of carbon fiber. Probably not what he's looking for his DD though ;-)

actually, id be very interested in a CF piece - can you give me any more info or point me in the direction of a reputable vendor?

i called a couple of car wrapping spots and they seem like they can do the job - probably be another couple of weeks until i can get it done, meanwhile wearing a hat and longsleeves while driving (serious p.i.t.a.)

but I am a sucker for quality carbon fiber

RobF300 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan HIS, 2012 CTS4 coupe- Her's

if your skin is that sensitive why did you get the roof??
    maybe black vinyl wrap it

Quote Originally Posted by RobF300 View Post
    if your skin is that sensitive why did you get the roof??
    maybe black vinyl wrap it
    -beacuse I didn't realize how thin/transparent the sunshade is until i actually drove it for a few days - ive owned cars with sunroofs before with no problem as Im interested primarily for resale value

-the plan is to try and vinyl wrap it - i read on some mini/bmw forums that guys in super hot and sunny climates are vinyl'ing their sunroofs as standard practice

-but you are right i shoulda known better, i initially wanted no sunroof but the sales guy convinced me

Quote Originally Posted by MIRINCTSV View Post
    actually, id be very interested in a CF piece - can you give me any more info or point me in the direction of a reputable vendor?

i called a couple of car wrapping spots and they seem like they can do the job - probably be another couple of weeks until i can get it done, meanwhile wearing a hat and longsleeves while driving (serious p.i.t.a.)

but I am a sucker for quality carbon fiber
    Oh man, my car is track only. It's a carbon fiber piece that's pop-rivetted in. I would never suggest it for a daily driver. Next to a roll cage (which I have too), it's probably the single irreversible leap across the great divide between road and track. I was just being silly for those who know my car. For what it's worth, it did shave about 100lbs off the the car, and from a high center of gravity point, but I'd never suggest it for a DD all the same since the appearance is, well, not exactly showroom stock. . .
    MIRINCTSV and MIRINCTSV like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Rule12b View Post
    Oh man, my car is track only. It's a carbon fiber piece that's pop-rivetted in. I would never suggest it for a daily driver. Next to a roll cage (which I have too), it's probably the single irreversible leap across the great divide between road and track. I was just being silly for those who know my car. For what it's worth, it did shave about 100lbs off the the car, and from a high center of gravity point, but I'd never suggest it for a DD all the same since the appearance is, well, not exactly showroom stock. . .
    for sure, my last two cars were an e46 m3 and a e92 m3 w/cf roof - so you are definietly speaking my language! but I know what you are talking about after looking into cf roof conversions for my e46 m3

thx again!

Quote Originally Posted by MIRINCTSV View Post
    for sure, my last two cars were an e46 m3 and a e92 m3 w/cf roof - so you are definietly speaking my language! but I know what you are talking about after looking into cf roof conversions for my e46 m3

thx again!
    Welcome to the V, I made the same progression you did out of the M's. Enjoy!

ptrd is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Man this is the best sunroof cover so far I've had in the past two cars I've owned.

Mini Cooper S (shade is pretty much non-existent)

Z3 M Coupe (there is no shade)

Karch is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 TG sedan, 6A,LPE 650, and a few more mods.

Not that this is going to help the OP, but I drove a few V's before finally being able to close a deal and take delivery.

I missed out on the first one by 18 hours, it didn't have a roof, and the next one was a few weeks later, with a roof.

I wound up not buying that one, but what I did realize is that I didn't want a roof, absolutely. Not because I have fair skin, but being that I too am in L.A., I just don't want the sun beating down on me all day in the car. When I want sun, I go golfing, hiking, and now playing softball.

If there's any consolation, they are very hard to find without a roof if you are picky about colors and options. I am very picky, so it took me awhile.

Random84 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Founder, OBWC

Seems like an opaque black vinyl wrap on the inside of the sunroof would be discrete, low cost and block out virtually all of the light - problem solved.

Smokin80 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black Raven CTS V/Manual

I also tinted my roof darker.

But in your case I would for sure just vinyl wrap it. Depending on the color of your car you could do it on the inside or outside. Pretty easy to double it up to if a bit of light bleeds through the vinyl.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.