3M 1080 Mohawk Complete Pics inside - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, 3M 1080 Mohawk Complete Pics inside in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by 45LongColt Car looks fantastic. I really like that flat hood color. I too just started to blacken ...
    Smokin80 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black Raven CTS V/Manual

Re: 3M 1080 Mohawk Complete Pics inside

Quote Originally Posted by 45LongColt View Post
    Car looks fantastic. I really like that flat hood color. I too just started to blacken mine out, I have done the two side fender grills with Plasti Dip and they came out perfect and I am now looking to do the window trim this weekend. Can you tell me how you taped off the trim around the windows and did any of it seep behind the door edges? Any issues you ran into doing the window trim that you might want to point out would be very helpful. Thanks

45LongColt
    For the window trim I taped it right to the chrome. Unlike how I would normally do plasti dip. But when you tape it tight you have to pull the tape before it dries or it will just peel the plasti dip off with the tape. I did the taping and painting with the doors wide open. Ymmv, but I really find that warming the can above room temp makes it spray a lot better.

Good luck!!!

45LongColt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan

So when you say you pull the tape before it drys, how do you do that when you have to apply 4-5 coats and need it to dry between coats? Also, did you use a razor or something to cut it before pulling up the tape?

I just did my car and it didn't work at all. Everywhere the glass had a rubber edge between the glass and the chrome trim, it peeled off the glass, rubber and chrome, it didn't make any attempt to separate before the chrome like everyone says it does. On the outside edge where the chrome trim meets the paint, it worked great... everywhere else, totally ruined.

I since removed it all from my trim.

Sorry. Warm the can up. Do all 4 or 5 coats while its still wet. Quick smooth coats with the first coat lighter than the rest. Almost see through.

You are right. On the paint side you can get away with it. But on the rubber trim side you have to pull it wet. No slicing needed. Just do 4 or so coats only waiting about a minute between. Seems weird I know. But it works. This stuff doesn't act like normal spray paint. When you pull the tape the plasti dip will still be glossy and wet.

Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq

i'm going to (when i find time this spring/summer) do the roof, mirrors, and just the hood bulge in either c/f or matt black 3m. i'm still arguing with myself for the final look ... looks really good. nice job.

45LongColt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Sedan

Question, when applying the 3M vinyl did you use a heat gun to warm and stretch it? Also, how close of a match is the flat black vinyl to say the Plastic Dip Flat Black color.

Yes. Heat gun for sure.

On low heat

It is as close of color as it could be. I use a quick detailer on it and that gives it a more satin color than flat. Looks great.

jlpz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Silver 2011 CTS sedan Cts-V clone

Looks Badass, nice job.

sdgc is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Escalade
    Looks sick. Nicest V ive seen in a while.

Blakester is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 cts-v wagon
    Nice detail!

Thanks guys! Summer tires going on tomorrow hopefully. 305 30 rears and 265 35 fronts in the re11 variety. Then wheels going black as well. I'm stressing a little about the half wits at the tire shop getting those tires on. I used to work at a tire shop and let's just say most of the guys didn't give 2 sh$ts.

TheDarkKnight is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Looks great

----------

What did they charge you for install

Tires cost me 89 bucks to get swapped. I did everything else myself

Cheers

Any tips for doing our roof with the vinyl around the sunroof? Also any tips for the trunk around brake light? Do you just get it close, then trim and tuck?

Quote Originally Posted by TheDarkKnight View Post
    Any tips for doing our roof with the vinyl around the sunroof? Also any tips for the trunk around brake light? Do you just get it close, then trim and tuck?
    For the roof... Take off the shark fin. Open the sun roof. Use knife less tape around the back portion(if u have the ultra view). Put the tape about a quarter inch inside so you can tuck it down the edge. For the open part just use a razor blade and cut it a couple inches long so you can tuck it down on the edge. Knife less tape is key.

On the third brake light I just used knife less tape again and made it a little long so that I could tuck it under. Was 3 pieces. The top. The part above the chrome and the part below. I did remove the chrome trim to wrap it gloss black.

Look up cookies tips on you tube for advice on doing the vinyl. That is not a typo...cookies tips. He is a 3m guy.

Cheers

How do you get The fin off? Just pry?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.