New owner and first mod
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, New owner and first mod in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; and it was a DIY..cost me 28 dollars and patience. i was asked about tips, regrets, etc, so here they ...
    silvergs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTSVEEEE

New owner and first mod

and it was a DIY..cost me 28 dollars and patience.
    i was asked about tips, regrets, etc, so here they are along with pics!

1.Tape off fenders and headlights..so glad i did this..otherwise..my car would have lost some weight by way of paint chips.
    2. the spray can has this red nozzle on the tip...this looks like a safety thing..but dont remove it..it will lead to crap spray...
    3. i intended to make it lighter than it came out..but i love the way it looks.
    4. i unintentionally forgot to mask off the chrome outline on the bottom grill...the top grill had a separate chrome outline, where as the bottom grill is one piece, grill and outline. however, i started to like it because the top half had the chrome outline with the emblem, and the bottom half still had the chrome ring on the foglights..so i thought it came out ok.
    5. make sure you are patient in reinstalling the front bumper. i'm not a fan of misaligned body panels. take your time, make sure you dont break any tabs.
    6. make sure you do not have any extra screws, tabs, etc.

all in all, it was a super easy, just be patient!

anyways, here are some pics.

med1.JPG
    med2.JPG
    med3.JPGmed3.JPG
    med5.JPG
    med6.JPG
    med7.JPG

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

tkracing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts-v coupe

Re: New owner and first mod

What did you use.... spray paint or plastidip?

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

If it's paint, we'll know soon enough.

silvergs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTSVEEEE

Quote Originally Posted by tkracing View Post
    What did you use.... spray paint or plastidip?
    I used duplicolor shadow paint

HUGN*RDS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): '09 V

I would guess using the wrong type of spray paint for this type of application would make a mess. Without scuffing up all surfaces of the grille for the paint to adhere to, normal paint would flake off. I suppose the OP used some type of special can paint made for molded plastic like the front grille. I wonder if the patio furnature spray is good for this type of stuff. Anyone have any suggestions?

tkracing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts-v coupe

Quote Originally Posted by HUGN*RDS View Post
    I would guess using the wrong type of spray paint for this type of application would make a mess. Without scuffing up all surfaces of the grille for the paint to adhere to, normal paint would flake off. I suppose the OP used some type of special can paint made for molded plastic like the front grille. I wonder if the patio furnature spray is good for this type of stuff. Anyone have any suggestions?
    Yes that is correct, spray paint would just chip off in time. The stuff the OP used is fine or Plastidip will work as well. Not familiar with the outside furniture sprays??

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.