Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Black headlight mod.

21K views 81 replies 20 participants last post by  Envy 
#1 ·
Hey guys,
Coming from a Toyota tundra where all we did was this mod, myself and a friend are gonna start doing the V lights too. I am going to do mine first and post pictures. For those of you who are scared to do this yourself and would rather pay to have it done feel free to PM and we can figure it out. With labor, time, core exchange for those of you who need it, and materials I am looking in the $300 a set range.
Also if you would like to add oracle halos to your lights we can arrange that too.
I am away from home right now for work but am going to start taking orders in February once I complete mine.....stay tuned and PM me for preliminary interest.

Thanks
Mike

#55 · (Edited)
Technically, any altering of the factory lighting is typically illegal for road use. This includes tinting the marker lights and tail lights. Whether your state cares or not is the real question. I have a friend who has ripped off his cats, put LT headers on, tinted all his lights including the headlights and windshield and still manages to pass inspection/emissions every year. I have not gone as far as tinting my headlights or windshield (have no plans to either) but in my state (PA) TheDarkKnight's mod would not even raise an eyebrow at any inspection place or the dealer. They won't even notice. It also really does not impact the brightness of the headlights. While it may be technically illegal to tint the DRL's what is the danger? Not like you use them to see. In CA they can be real ba*l basters so who knows. I would suspect this would not draw much attention though. The Halos come on many cars and are not illegal but again, your altering the factory lighting. I doubt anyone would care about these either. I think your more likely to get hassled with tinted tails than with this mod.

I do have my tails and markers tinted. I passed inspection this year with no problem. Being LED's the tails are still very bright even with 20% tint. The problem is if someone runs into the back of me they could claim it was due to my taillights being tinted. PA state law says you can't alter any lighting on the car but also says your tail lights must be visible from 100' away in the dark. My tails are visible at 100' but since I altered them, technically the car is not road legal. That said, no one has stopped me and I have had a cop car directly behind me a few times. It does give them the opportunity to pull you over and hassle you or give you a "must correct" citation but that is a chance I'm willing to take. When I see what some of the idiots around me drive, I figure a little tinting is the least of the cop's worries.

I also just purchased a new set of tail lights that were take off's at a great price. I plan to permanently paint those and remove the tint from the current tails and just keep them in case I get hassled. I can then just swap them out quickly. The tinted tails with the same tint used for the windows did not come out perfectly so I'm going to paint a set instead.

#61 ·
I got banged after my 52 week screw, owe an additional 13k after I sold off some rental properties under value......no extra money made here! They consider upside down home costs untaxed income.

----------

Working on getting some cores for the summer, so sit tight mike, I may be able to help.

#67 ·
Just so you know, this will be one of the first mods I do..... I haven't even made my first payment yet though, so I'm trying not to get ahead of myself.

Being that my car is a DD, would you anticipate any moisture issues with the lights being resealed? She's going to see all types of weather.

Thanks,
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.