Cadillac Owners Forum banner

Black Raven Sedan Plastidip'd grill and emblems

12K views 35 replies 8 participants last post by  Smokin80 
#1 ·
Hey guys

Blacked out MOST of the chrome on the car this past week. Will do the window trim eventually as well but i think this is a good start!!

Any other suggestions are welcome!

Thanks guys!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Duplicate post....

The PlastiDip is holding up great on the wheels but it tends to peel where the wheel and the tire meet. I'm guessing it is from the tire pushing up against the wheel when I'm going around corners. I just touch it up every once in a while. It's hard to beat when it only costs about $20 to do you wheels.

#13 ·
They are done with 20% tint. The car was leased so I wanted something reversible. In all honesty, it's less than perfect. No matter how hard he tried my installer could not get all of the tiny creases out. You only see them around the 90 degree angled part of the tail lights but it annoys me.

I just purchased the car so may have them painted in the spring. I want to see if they pass inspection and how many times I get pulled over before making them permanently tinted.

#12 ·
That looks excellent, and I like that you didn't have to remove the grill to do it. I might try this on my Thunder Gray sedan.

#15 ·
Ya. I have painted the tails on my truck and like it. But don't want the irreversible factor on the caddyb tails so I ordered some transluscent vinyl. See how that goes.

My second choice for color was the white diamond. It looks so good blacked out

Cheers

#24 ·
Just keep in mind you will never get the vinyl perfect, The sharp edges of the tails means there will be some creasing. Even using a heat gun, there will be creasing or you'll burn through. If I pass my state inspection this year, I'm removing the tint and having them painted. It just looks more professional. I think mine looks good but the small creases around the back of the tails makes me wince every time I walk by.

#18 ·
Update:

Started blacking out the tail lights with laminex dark smoke. As you can see there is a still a tinge of red visible and the lights on difference is minimal.

Did 3m 1080 CF wrap on the top of the 3rd brake light and same dark smoke on the back of it. I think it looks pretty sweet!

That vinyl tint is finicky and i think i might do the left tail light again to get it perfect but a few practice runs and it should be good! That is the advantage to the vinyl for sure!!! Easy to take off and try again. I have enough to do the left and right once more so no more screw ups!

Thanks for looking.

Cheers

Attachments

#20 ·
I am going to do the lower valence for sure....the trim piece im not sure on just yet. But that is the best part of plasti dip an vinyl...easy to change.

For most of the edges around the lights i didnt trim it i heated the shit out of it and folded it under the edge. Looks pretty good. Few tiny bubbles in the tail light but talking to a buddy of mine that owns a vinyl/tint shop he said most times they will almost disappear in a few days and if not a little pin hole will make sure it does and is as close to unnoticeable as possible.

Cheers

#26 ·
Here it is all finished

As you can see i cant really complain about how it came out for vinyl on a light with such sharp curves

This is the only spot that is crinkled up...i could likely have sliced it and have a seam...but mostly is covered by truck and actually very hard to see.

cheers guys

#31 ·
no bubbles on the brake light at all..i got it perfect. But there are a few imperfections in the tail lights. they are frickin hard to do. the sharp angles at the top i had a tough time with. Plus it was the first time i had tried tinting lights with vinyl like that.

thanks

#34 ·
A little finicky...but not hard. try and leave a little extra sagging down into the vents. The spot where the reflectors go is no big deal because they reflectors cover almost all of the indent. Little playing with the heat gut and a couple(maybe 3) beer and you will have it figured out.

Removing it is a bit of a PITA. The 10 or 12 metal clips holding it to the bumper cover are annoying. Bottome 6 or so are easy to get at but the top ones are a little out of the way.

And of course the 3 stupid plastic pins that hold the bottom of the bumper cover up under the car are likely to break when you pull them out. Either get new ones or replace with a bolt/nut and washer.

#35 ·
How many layers of Plastidip on the grille? I'm thinking about blacking out the grille on my wagon.

How hard is it to peel off if you don't like it?

#36 ·
I did 4 coats on the grill. I havent tried taking it off....

I have pulled it off other parts that aren't so complicated. The side chrome trim on the doors of my dodge for instance. It comes off great. I think that it will come off the grill fine as well...however...it is such a complicated shape that i think it just might be a little annoying. I am sure with some patience it will be fine though. Def do not worry about that part of it.

cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.