I hate brake dust !!!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, I hate brake dust !!! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; This may have been answered in an older posts, but what are some suggestions on brake dust on the V's. ...
    Gary Veeeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV

I hate brake dust !!!

This may have been answered in an older posts, but what are some suggestions on brake dust on the V's. I have 2012 CTS V with the chrome polish rims less than 1000 miles. I know it's new not a lot of miles I'm hoping this will calm down a little bit as I drive it. What's the best product out there for cleaning the rims and possibly helping this condition. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium

Re: I hate brake dust !!!

It doesn't calm down, I have 16,000 miles on my '12, and there is just as much dust as always. I don't drive it hard and still have my original PS2's with about 6-7000 miles left in them. I just have a special mitt I keep just for the wheels and use only soap and water on mine, but they are the painted rims. It is a huge pain in the butt, but I have found it just takes a little elbow grease to keep them clean.

larry arizona is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 10 V 4DR,6M,Blk,2.55,airaid,160t,W4M HX & tune Eibachs

Option 1:Armor All Wheel Protectant WORKS AWESOME. Zero brake dust for 4 weeks. Follow directions, clean rims, allow to FULLY dry. Apply AAWP and let FULLY dry. Don't wash rims (they can get wet) for up to 4 weeks. You wont believe the difference.

Option 2. Get ceramic brake pads (reduced performance and faster rotor wear).
    RapidRob and RapidRob like this.

McGuffy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe

Those great big Brembos eat pads like popcorn.

ClarkkentCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Thunder gray CTS V

I put ceramic brake pads on my other car and it almost completely eliminated all brake dust. Once the
    current pads I have on wear down I'm replacing with Hawk ceramic brake pads. I wash my wheels twice a
    week just to keep them looking clean. Going to try the armor all wheel protectant Larry Arizona suggested.

Dont get the meguiars wheel protectant, it does not work well. Armor all wheel protectant does what it claims.

201Vwagon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 V Wagon

I started using the Armor All Wheel Protectant and it is amazing. I think it might have been one of larry's posts that I saw and I tried it. I even took the wheels off to do the insides. I actually get little balls of brake dust on the lip but just use my compressor and air gun to clean them.

MikeG-V is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '12 V
    2nd Larry's comments.

Gary Veeeee is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV
    Thanks for all the suggestions. Currently I'm using mothers mag & aluminum polish it's great for shine ,cleans these wheels up very good . however, seems to almost draw in the brake dust to the rim and make it stick. I will also give the armor all wheel protectant a try seems the majority here agrees. These calipers are awesome for stopping power but you're right there's a lot of pad there. Thanks again

About 3 weeks into an application of the AAWP road dust (not brake dust) accumulates in the rearward corner of the outer spokes...... I just rinse with the hose when I wash the car (but DON'T touch the rim with your hands/fingers, or a wash tool). As soon as you touch the rim the AAWP comes off and 10 miles later you will have a brake dust streak on your rim.

AAWP can handle water rinse and will dry virtually spot free. But touch them in anyway, you will need to fully clean and reapply. One $7 can will do about 8 V rims and get you 2 months of protection. Way worth it!!!!!!!

About 3 weeks into an application of the AAWP road dust (not brake dust) accumulates in the rearward corner of the outer spokes...... I just rinse with the hose when I wash the car (but DON'T touch the rim with your hands/fingers, or a wash tool). As soon as you touch the rim the AAWP comes off and 10 miles later you will have a brake dust streak on your rim.

AAWP can handle water rinse and will dry virtually spot free. But touch them in anyway, you will need to fully clean and reapply. One $7 can will do about 8 V rims and get you 2 months of protection. Way worth it!!!!!!! KICKS ASS!

Also works great on the calipers and the inside of the exhaust tips.........
    Lunatik11586 and Lunatik11586 like this.

ClarkkentCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Thunder gray CTS V

Has anyone used AAWP on the factory polished wheels? I read some reviews on a cloudy residue being left
    behind on polished and chrome wheels.

1997BlackETC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2012 Mercedes E63 Amg Station Wagon

Ya, I have kinda noticed that, they don't shine as good as they did with it on there, not as glossy.

Quote Originally Posted by ClarkkentCTSV View Post
    Has anyone used AAWP on the factory polished wheels? I read some reviews on a cloudy residue being left
    behind on polished and chrome wheels.
    I have my stock rims done in PVD Black Chrome. I disagree that the AAWP leaves a cludy residue. Goes on slighty cloudy but dries crystal clear and if anything adds shine and hides minor scratches.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.