How To: Install LEDs in Dome Lights and the rest of the vehicle (Video of install)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, How To: Install LEDs in Dome Lights and the rest of the vehicle (Video of install) in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Hey guys, I've been noticing that there is basically no walkthroughs on this site, and they're normally pretty helpful on ...
    Captain McFunk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 DW CTS-V Sedan

How To: Install LEDs in Dome Lights and the rest of the vehicle (Video of install)

Hey guys,

I've been noticing that there is basically no walkthroughs on this site, and they're normally pretty helpful on other forums, so i'm going to start putting them up for anything I do. This first video is how to install the LED bulbs into the dome lights. Everyone talks about how hard it is, and it's actually VERY easy, took about all of 10-15 minutes from start to finish. I'll put tips for all the other bulbs here as well, and add videos when i get the time to edit/upload. For now, here is the video for the dome light install:

Some Info:

The bulbs are from v-leds, they're size 194; 5-led bulbs. You need 13 of them. They're sold in pairs. They're not too expensive at all, about $35 for the whole car. I bought 2 sets so I would have plenty if any of them go out. I've bought v-led's before and never had any problems out of them.

http://www.v-leds.com/Exterior-LED-B...94388-1-2.html

Dome Light Install:

The rear dome light install is MUCH harder, but it's just because there is not near enough wire length to get your hands in to unclip/reclip them. The rears are the exact same as the front. The clips are tough to reach though, I did it with a flat-head screwdriver, I'll have a video up of this one shortly.

The under-dash bulbs are easy, just pull out and push in the new ones.

The under door lights are easy, just put a flat head screwdriver on one end and pry the lens off, then pull out the blub and replace.

The license plate bulbs are easy, just pry the lens out on the outside, then the inside will come out, the whole unit will come out, and twist the bulb to remove.

This is an AWESOME looking mod that adds a touch of class to your vehicle for a minimal amount of money. More pics of the lights finished to come.

Thanks!
    IBMike likes this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Mikes2009V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV
    Great how to video. I actually bought the bulbs for interior, trunk and rear license plate along with hid fog lights. Ordered them from sharphid two weeks ago and still waiting for them to show up. At least I know when they finally get here, I'll have a jump start on the install.

MSOsr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 Thunder Gray CTS-V coupe and Raven Black 2007 SRX

Re: How To: Install LEDs in Dome Lights and the rest of the vehicle (Video of instal

No modifications are needed at all for any of the bulbs?

Mike (Antsy)

Re: How To: Install LEDs in Dome Lights and the rest of the vehicle (Video of instal

Quote Originally Posted by MSOsr View Post
    No modifications are needed at all for any of the bulbs?

Mike (Antsy)
    Nope as stated. They are all plug and play. Let me know if you have any questions.

,,,and all the lights you referenced use the same 194 bulb that comes from v-leds?

Mike (now intrigued)

,,,and all the lights you referenced use the same 194 bulb that comes from v-leds?

Mike (now intrigued)
    Yes, they're all the same. The 194 bulbs.

69mets is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac CTS-V, MN6, Driven Daily

I've already done the front dome lights from spare lights I had lying around. I've got an order from V-LEDs on the way to finish the rest of the interior including under the footwells and the vanity mirrors.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

in for the sub, I'll want to do the license plate bulbs at least. Not sure about the interior ones, They're not too bright to be distracting?

69mets is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 Cadillac CTS-V, MN6, Driven Daily

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    in for the sub, I'll want to do the license plate bulbs at least. Not sure about the interior ones, They're not too bright to be distracting?
    Brighter, but not too bright, and since they only light up when the door is opened they are not distracting.

I started with my under dash lights...not as easy as I thought. The original bulbs didn't want to pull out with the socket in place, so I had to unscrew the panels that had the mounting hole in each location. After finally getting the old bulbs out, I plugged in the new LEDs and everything looks good. Tightened up the plastic panels and looks original now.

I think I might wait until tomorrow morning to try the map lights, however......

Mike

I started with my under dash lights...not as easy as I thought. The original bulbs didn't want to pull out with the socket in place, so I had to unscrew the panels that had the mounting hole in each location. After finally getting the old bulbs out, I plugged in the new LEDs and everything looks good. Tightened up the plastic panels and looks original now.

I think I might wait until tomorrow morning to try the map lights, however......

Mike
    An easy way to do it: wrap black electrical tape around the bulb twice, leave some extra hanging down, yank on the tape, pops right out

You da man!

Due to the lack of my mechanical skill, if I get into the map lights and have trouble getting the lens to fit over the LED and decide to just go with the shorter LED, which LED from V-Leds is the one I should order?

Thanks for all your assistance. My V is little by little looking sharper and sharper!

Mike

You da man!

Due to the lack of my mechanical skill, if I get into the map lights and have trouble getting the lens to fit over the LED and decide to just go with the shorter LED, which LED from V-Leds is the one I should order?

Thanks for all your assistance. My V is little by little looking sharper and sharper!

Mike

I promise, they'll fit, lol. It will look funny at first, but when you install it, it will fit/sit fine. Do it and let me know if you have any questions. I promise it's easy. Hit me up for help. 501.339.88 seven 1

Kudos and thanks to the Captain! I ran into a snag doing my map lights and he talked me through the problem. I now have LED map lights, under dash lights and door lights! They look great.

One clarification: after you unscrew the module on the map lights, you lift up and pull back on the tab to unplug the module. I broke a thumbnail and index finger nail trying to get the thing unplugged. Even after I figured out you had to lift up on the tab a little (and got the left one unplugged), I still couldn't get the right (passenger) side unplugged. You can actually remove the lens and the original bulb and plug in the new one (as the Captain instructed) without unplugging the module.

Anyway, both sides are done and they look terrific. Thanks to the Captain, I have Plasti-dipped front grills and LED interior lights...what's next, Captain?

Mike

Just added the LED to my glove box...but have decided the rear dome lights aren't worth the effort. Only had someone back there 10 minutes during the life of my car and only an umbrella lives there...

Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.