Tips when using plasti dip on your grill - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree6Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Tips when using plasti dip on your grill in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by Stillborn it sticks equal to all surfaces. the edge (or lip) of one surface to the next ...
    cadillaxe is offline Author "Bouncing off Guardrails"
    Automobile(s): '13ctsvcp,'10bmwS1KRR,'13YCCchopper

Re: Tips when using plasti dip on your grill

Quote Originally Posted by Stillborn View Post
    it sticks equal to all surfaces. the edge (or lip) of one surface to the next is where the magic happens. go to dip your car dot com on you tube ch and watch fonzie explain it, as he's a professional plasti-dip rep. =] hope this helps.
    ok, checked out more on the site, saw the video where he actually pulls the coating off a wheel a few weeks after he coated it. on one hand, it's concerning to me that it's that easy to remove it, i.e. will i accidentally do that washing it? or worse yet an autowasher? on the other hand, i feel better that there's consistency in how it acts on similar surfaces. There's logic and consistency again. whew. I feel better now. Wish i would've know about this stuff when I did my bike parts...

PS. if there are any rules against bikini pics, please let me know before a moderator issues a strike against me. thanks.
    nrk rabbit small.JPG

MSOsr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 Thunder Gray CTS-V coupe and Raven Black 2007 SRX

The rubbery spray is easily removable from any surface after first dried. You can catch a corner with your fingernail and peel it off.

When you spray your grill, you only peel the area on the painted surface and leave the spray on the grill part alone. The gap between the paint and the grill will tear off the plasti-dip and leave the edge.

After about 48 hours, the grill area will be "fused" with the rubbery surface and it will be resistant to car washes, etc. If you want to remove it, however, you can "pierce" an area and grab the edge of the "rubber" and start peeling it off. However, it has been my experience that you don't have to worry about "accidently" removing it; you have to breach the surface to establish an area to grip.

Check youtube for videos of people pressure washing the plasti-dip area with no problem.

Mike (loves his front grills, foglight mounts and rear grills plasti-dipped)

colleyt is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    @Airfoto - did you spray all the trim around the widows too?

This is what i was talking about wanting to do, except probably with solid black rims, and a chrome axe on the grill instead of the caddy symbol. unfortunately i think those things are molded into the grill these days. anyway, wicked car to say the least. 4300 lbs and under 3 sec 0-60? wow!

any thoughts on grill work, if i want to have the grill gloss and the trim flat, am i better to do each part completely separate, or do all black, then mask the flat trim and spray the gloss, any ideas?

you leave about 3-4 hrs between black and glossifier?

Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq

check out "fonzie" on you tubes "dip your car" ch.

i called them. they said paint it all black, then give at least a day, then go back and do a normal paint mask job on the flat stuff and spray the grill. will see how it goes...

Chosenone is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS V

Has anybody ever tried to plasti dip just on the paint. I have seen other people on here use the matte wrap to do their hoods and trunks in a matte finish. Seems like you could tape off and just use plasti dip. Seems like it would be easier than the getting bubbles out of the wrap and hiding seems.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Entire cars have been Plasti-dip'd...
    nt2old4actsv likes this.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
    Entire cars have been Plasti-dip'd...
    More than once! I did like the blue one best.

Smokin80 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 Black Raven CTS V/Manual

Quote Originally Posted by Chosenone View Post
    Has anybody ever tried to plasti dip just on the paint. I have seen other people on here use the matte wrap to do their hoods and trunks in a matte finish. Seems like you could tape off and just use plasti dip. Seems like it would be easier than the getting bubbles out of the wrap and hiding seems.
    Problem is getting an even texture with plasti dip. The 3m 1080 wrap releases air so bubbles are easy and the rolls are 60 inches wide so there are no seams.

Cheers

This week i attempted to plastidip all the chrome. a few points to note below for those trying this.

Materials
    -ordered 2 cans black, 1 gloss, 1 cleaner/prep, 3 of those nozzles as the site wasn't clear if you needed them or not
    -didn't need the nozzles - waste
    -did need a 3rd can of black i couldn't get at 7 pm on a Friday night

Spraying
    -yes, i watched the videos, and i know he said 4 coats of color, but i only was able to do 3 with the 2 cans
    -yes, i know it's supposed to be thick enough onto the tape, but couldn't do a 4th coat
    -as with any spray bomb, be real careful not to let your finger hit the stream or you get globs
    -it didn't spray as fine a mist as i expected, so the final texture wasn't as smooth as i thought his vid looked
    -maybe i didn't spray wet enough, i knew runs would ruin it, but it doesn't seem as apt to run as rustoleum enamel
    -i had poor lighting in areas and didn't cover as good as i shoud've. carry a flashlight around it with you if you need to

Peeling
    -overall, yes, it does peel away at breaks like he says, but it is SO critical to get enough on it.
    -i had poor lighting in areas and didn't cover as good as i shoud've. carry a flashlight around it with you if you need to
    -i had spots on the side vents where the tape was too close to the chrome, not enough of a gap, so when i peeled the mask, it peeled up a little piece from the chrome ruining that part
    -then i started peeling around the window. that had a couple flaws on it. it's also tough to get it out of the cracks and off the thin rubber/plastic borders w/o messing up the part you want to keep. use a microfiber rag, not a razor of course

I knew it wasn't ideal with only 3 coats, the light areas, the flaw on the vent and the window frame, final texture, etc. the wheel centers did come out great, so left them. debated ordering more and redo, but decided i like some chrome and would stick to that. however, i did gloss over the grills, felt like that was solid because of the gloss protection, so stripped everything else but that and the wheel centers.

vforum 4.JPG
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.