Tips when using plasti dip on your grill - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Tips when using plasti dip on your grill in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I like leaving the look of leaving the chrome trim showing. My question is, how hard/ tedious is it to ...
    Purple87SS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black Raven CTS-V, 1987 Turbo Buick WE4

Re: Tips when using plasti dip on your grill

I like leaving the look of leaving the chrome trim showing. My question is, how hard/ tedious is it to remove the the plast dip from the grill lacing, if you wanted to go back to the stock look? I have removed plasti dip from flat surfaces like wheels before but nothing like a grill.

Airfoto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Vagon & a 2008 Z06

Well - since I made a few mistakes puttting it on - I had experinece taking it off as well - not an issue at all - very suprising how easily it comes off - from all the trim items on the car - as well as the wheels!

Captain McFunk is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 DW CTS-V Sedan

MAN this car looks familiar! looks good!
    nt2old4actsv likes this.

Trapspeed is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple87SS
    I like leaving the look of leaving the chrome trim showing.
    Seconded. Love that look.

cadillaxe is offline Author "Bouncing off Guardrails"
    Automobile(s): '13ctsvcp,'10bmwS1KRR,'13YCCchopper

Local dealer has a real cool look they've done on some cars. They do the grill mesh in gloss black, then all the trim (chrome) in flat black. No chrome left. Looks wicked!

Quote Originally Posted by cadillaxe View Post
    Local dealer has a real cool look they've done on some cars. They do the grill mesh in gloss black, then all the trim (chrome) in flat black. No chrome left. Looks wicked!
    Need pics!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple87SS View Post
    Need pics!
    i dug around on their website and on google in general, can't find it anywhere. They put some bigger black rims on it though for starters. The actual mesh is gloss black to match the gloss raven finish, then all the trim, including windows, the frame around the grill, all of it got the flat black look. They even took the "V" logos, hid the colored part, and flat blacked the rest. They had some cool pics in their project book, just can't find anything on line. maybe i can see if the salesguy can get a pic when he gets back Sunday.

anyone take all their trim off the car and do this? Still on the fence whether completely murdered is better than black grill mesh and chrome trim, but feels like that option should have black wheels with polished lips vs. complete black (better for murdered).

Plenty of folks blacked out their chrome trim. No need to remove the trim while plasti dipping it. Mask it off but leave an inch around it, and after 4-5 good coats, the gap between the trim and edge for the masking should make a clean cut. Just peel/pull of slowly and at an angle away from the area/trim that will remain black.

Video of trim blackout by the man himself...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLdj4mlDC_g

Quote Originally Posted by Purple87SS View Post
    Plenty of folks blacked out their chrome trim. No need to remove the trim while plasti dipping it. Mask it off but leave an inch around it, and after 4-5 good coats, the gap between the trim and edge for the masking should make a clean cut. Just peel/pull of slowly and at an angle away from the area/trim that will remain black.

Video of trim blackout by the man himself...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLdj4mlDC_g
    lot easier than pulling all the parts off for sure. Just have a hard time spray bombing on brand new paint, but i guess that's how you do it. Only question: if it's so easy to just rub off the good paint, how come it doesn't fall off the trim as easy? is it because you rub it off before it's fully cured? he didn't scuff sand the chrome at all, right? just sprayed on smooth surface? having painted my stuff for years, just seems strange to not scuff sand it first??

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillaxe

lot easier than pulling all the parts off for sure. Just have a hard time spray bombing on brand new paint, but i guess that's how you do it. Only question: if it's so easy to just rub off the good paint, how come it doesn't fall off the trim as easy? is it because you rub it off before it's fully cured? he didn't scuff sand the chrome at all, right? just sprayed on smooth surface? having painted my stuff for years, just seems strange to not scuff sand it first??
    It does go against the grain. No scuffing required. Make sure you tape an inch or so away from the edge onto the paint. When you peel the excess off it will find its edge. Do not paint heavy coats. I did 4 on my grill. Let it dry about 15 minutes between coats. The last coat, let it dry about 30 minutes. Then remove the masked area. This was in progress. I did do the lower part.
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Gray STS View Post
    It does go against the grain. No scuffing required. Make sure you tape an inch or so away from the edge onto the paint. When you peel the excess off it will find its edge. Do not paint heavy coats. I did 4 on my grill. Let it dry about 15 minutes between coats. The last coat, let it dry about 30 minutes. Then remove the masked area. This was in progress. I did do the lower part.
    just don't understand how it sticks to the part you want it to only, and not the part you don't w/o scuffing. I'm an engineer, so i'm probably overthinking it as usual.

thanks for clarifying you'll paint the bottom grill too, or i was going to give you hell about that, haha.

Before i post a pic here, do people on this forum get fussy if there's a bikini model in the pic?

Thunder Gray STS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 ATS 2.0T Premium
    Quote Originally Posted by cadillaxe

just don't understand how it sticks to the part you want it to only, and not the part you don't w/o scuffing. I'm an engineer, so i'm probably overthinking it as usual.

thanks for clarifying you'll paint the bottom grill too, or i was going to give you hell about that, haha.
    Well, the only answer I have is that it isn't truly paint, it is rubber. Very thick and heavy compared to paint and very elastic. Oh and btw, the emblem was not taped off I just peeled it off of part of the crest, looked at that a little while and decided to remove the rest of the plasti dip from the rest of the emblem.

Quote Originally Posted by Thunder Gray STS View Post
    Well, the only answer I have is that it isn't truly paint, it is rubber. Very thick and heavy compared to paint and very elastic. Oh and btw, the emblem was not taped off I just peeled it off of part of the crest, looked at that a little while and decided to remove the rest of the plasti dip from the rest of the emblem.
    was wondering if it's not more like a rhinoliner mat'l, except w/o the grit. still can't fathom why it sticks to one smooth surface and not the one next to it.

Are those emblems part of the mesh casting, or are they screwed on...seems like i saw one that was stuck to a surface on it too. How's yours structured?

Stillborn is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 09 DW 4DR,AT,Recaros,metco 2.5,RX c-can,AEM-A/F, 634hp,642tq

it sticks equal to all surfaces. the edge (or lip) of one surface to the next is where the magic happens. go to dip your car dot com on you tube ch and watch fonzie explain it, as he's a professional plasti-dip rep. =] hope this helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.