Retractable license plate bracket
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Retractable license plate bracket in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Does anyone have any experience with retractable license plate brackets if so what brand do you recommend. Thanks...
    Jdani is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts- v

Retractable license plate bracket

Does anyone have any experience with retractable license plate brackets if so what brand do you recommend. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

oneman42 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan, Black, 6MT, no mods, LED int bulb swap

Re: Retractable license plate bracket

Alright, since nobody helped you out here, I went on youtube and here are the results:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=76zMS...eature=related (rear)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pr1yA...endscreen&NR=1 (front)
    HTH,
    George

litig8r187 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 Black Raven CTS-V Murdered

I have the Show-N-Go off Ebay. It works fine but it is awfully low. In fact, I notched the lip so it was about an inch higher. It still sticks out some but it is a damn site better than the plate being on there all the time. Because of the slope of the cover from the air-dam back, you can still see the plate when you look at the car from a distance or take pictures from a low vantage point. Here is a pic and I'll try to link a video. In the video it is a little crooked but I have since adjusted it.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/718/4b5.mp4/

Jnyce001 and Jnyce001 like this.

Rule12b is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V Sedan

I've got a pair of correctable no plate tickets right now. I'm tempted to go this route but at high speeds, I'd be worried about the plate catching enough air under there and ripping off. I already lost one undertray that way.

I was somewhat concerned about that too but I've been up to 150+ on a couple of runs and haven't had an issue. I think if i was going to do any sustained high speed driving like on a track, I would remove the plate.

SoCalCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV Coupe, 1966 Chevelle

Quote Originally Posted by litig8r187 View Post
    I have the Show-N-Go off Ebay. It works fine but it is awfully low. In fact, I notched the lip so it was about an inch higher. It still sticks out some but it is a damn site better than the plate being on there all the time. Because of the slope of the cover from the air-dam back, you can still see the plate when you look at the car from a distance or take pictures from a low vantage point. Here is a pic and I'll try to link a video. In the video it is a little crooked but I have since adjusted it.

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/718/4b5.mp4/

I see one specific to the CTSV but the mount is offset to the side. Do you know if there are different ones that allow for a center mounting?

I do not think any of the retractable ones a really for specific vehicles. I've bought four now, and they are all identical. You can just mount it where you want. If you go way to the side, the lip drops it another 1" or so. the center section has the "step up" plus I notched that piece about another 1" for a little more clearance. If you mount it to the side, it will be VERY low and I think you will have clearance issues.

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

The electric one is so cool. I'd have a field day messing with cops pulling me over for no front plate. I think technically it has to be higher, but different states have different laws on the specific height.

SoCalCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV Coupe, 1966 Chevelle

I do not think any of the retractable ones a really for specific vehicles. I've bought four now, and they are all identical. You can just mount it where you want. If you go way to the side, the lip drops it another 1" or so. the center section has the "step up" plus I notched that piece about another 1" for a little more clearance. If you mount it to the side, it will be VERY low and I think you will have clearance issues.
    Thanks ! Did you have to raise the front of the car to get under there? Where did you tap I for power?

Quote Originally Posted by smackdownCTSV View Post
    The electric one is so cool. I'd have a field day messing with cops pulling me over for no front plate. I think technically it has to be higher, but different states have different laws on the specific height.
    I have the RHO mount off the tow hook now. I never see it so it doesn't bother me. Everyone else sees it and they comment. I'm still not 100% made up in doing anything different. I have nice frame on the front that cost me something like $45 that I suppose won't work with the motorized system.

Dr. Design is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): STS, XLR, STS V-Series, CTS V-Series, XTS....

Hello,
    We have installed a few of these. They hang pretty low and get caught on various things. Take a look at the one we manufacture for the CTS-V application. Not retractable, but it works and will not get caught on things, plus it doubles at a tow hook for the weekend racers out there.

http://www.d3cadillac.com/products/c...mount-tow-hook

p.s. litig8r187 - Those headlights are really nice!

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Jdani View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with retractable license plate brackets if so what brand do you recommend. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCTSV View Post
    Thanks ! Did you have to raise the front of the car to get under there? Where did you tap I for power?
    I just jacked it up a little. I pulled power straight off the positive cable block under the hood and grounded it to the fender. Those leads run to a "receiver" that is attached to the fender under the hood with two sided tape. There are then two long leads (3' or so) that run to the electric motor on the licence plate frame. I just routed them around through the front of the car to the LP motor. You operate it with a wireless remote control that transmits to the receiver under the hood. My only problem with it is that you can not tell when the plate is all the way up or all the way down. I hold the button for about 6 seconds and that does the trick.

My daughter has one on her SRT Charger and has actually put it up after she was stopped by the Highway Patrol.

"Mam, do you know why you were stopped?"

"No officer"

"You do not have a front license plate on your vehicle"

"Oh my god! It must have been stolen!"

Officer walks to front of vehicle. Gets a puzzled look and returns to car.

"Never mind, Mam. It is there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Be safe"

I scolded her for it but I had to laugh a little, too.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Design View Post
    Hello,
    p.s. litig8r187 - Those headlights are really nice!

Thank you,

Dr. Design
    D3 Cadillac
    I actually never noticed my headlights were different. You are the second person to mention it though. I assume it is the lack of the yellow "tube" in the light that your talking about? I bought the car already cosmetically modified by a place in Florida called Ultimate Audio. They must have done that. They also use your Competition Springs to lower it. Here is a Youtube of the car they posted when it was for sell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C80V9jFjjqw

smackdownCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V BDE (Sold) 2010 CTS-V Red (Traded)

I just jacked it up a little. I pulled power straight off the positive cable block under the hood and grounded it to the fender. Those leads run to a "receiver" that is attached to the fender under the hood with two sided tape. There are then two long leads (3' or so) that run to the electric motor on the licence plate frame. I just routed them around through the front of the car to the LP motor. You operate it with a wireless remote control that transmits to the receiver under the hood. My only problem with it is that you can not tell when the plate is all the way up or all the way down. I hold the button for about 6 seconds and that does the trick.

My daughter has one on her SRT Charger and has actually put it up after she was stopped by the Highway Patrol.

"Mam, do you know why you were stopped?"

"No officer"

"You do not have a front license plate on your vehicle"

"Oh my god! It must have been stolen!"

Officer walks to front of vehicle. Gets a puzzled look and returns to car.

"Never mind, Mam. It is there. Sorry for the inconvenience. Be safe"

I scolded her for it but I had to laugh a little, too.

----------

I actually never noticed my headlights were different. You are the second person to mention it though. I assume it is the lack of the yellow "tube" in the light that your talking about? I bought the car already cosmetically modified by a place in Florida called Ultimate Audio. They must have done that. They also use your Competition Springs to lower it. Here is a Youtube of the car they posted when it was for sell.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C80V9jFjjqw
    LMAO! That's exactly the way to do it.

Yes, the headlights look way better without the amber. Especially all blacked out.

rgp6373 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Did you buy those headlights ? if not how did you black out the chrome like that ? thats the only one i have seen like that

The were on the car when I bought it. I am pretty sure they were "baked" open. You put the headlight assembly in an oven at about 250 for 5 minutes till the sealant becomes soft then pull the lens off the body. I have done this on other headlights but not these. Once they are apart, you can tint the amber lens and paint the housing body color. then you heat it back up, put the lens back on, maybe ad some additional sealant and hope moisture can't get in.

V locity is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan A6, 730 RWHP Stock airbox & stock exst

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.