Snow Tire Sizes - All The Same Or Alternate Sizes?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By thebigjimsho
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Snow Tire Sizes - All The Same Or Alternate Sizes? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I just purchased an '09 CTS-V yesterday, to be my daily driver (my weekend car is a '09 Nissan GT-R). ...
    CTS-V Dragon Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Snow Tire Sizes - All The Same Or Alternate Sizes?

I just purchased an '09 CTS-V yesterday, to be my daily driver (my weekend car is a '09 Nissan GT-R). I am looking at Tirerack right now, and for snow tires (Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero or Bridgestone Blizzak), the size choices there are 255/40R19 all around (recommended), or there are alternate front (255/40R19) and alternate rear (285/35R19). What are the pros and cons of going with the same size all around, as well as the alternate sizes front and rear? Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Squirlz is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 Black Diamond 6MT V-Wagon

Re: Snow Tire Sizes - All The Same Or Alternate Sizes?

You actually want a narrower tire for a snow tire. I know it might look odd when you're used to the big rear meats but I would go with all four the same size. Allows you to rotate them also.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

Pros and cons with each. Same size all around lets you rotate and the narrower size in back cuts through snow better. Staying stock gives you better dry handling...

-- We miss you, JD (Dirt_Cheap_Fleetwood)

HeavyH20 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Red 09 CTS-V, White 08 SRX
    I had equal sized 255/40-19 Sotto's on all four corners on OEM wheels (9 inch upfront, 9.5 back) and found the car never drove quite right. I got a bulge on a sidewall (pothole?) and took the opportunity to get the 285/35-19 on the back. I know the narrow tire is supposed to work better but the wider tire actually drove much better overall in dry, wet and snow conditions, surprisingly.

Thanks to everyone who responded. I went ahead and purchased the Prelli Sottozero's, 255/40R19's all around. Now, if we can find out why the boost gauge isn't working, we'll be in business!

hakalugi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon

Dragon, been happy with them?

I've got a 2012 V-wagon and going to get snow tires (it's first winter not in a showroom is coming up).

the affordable 19" (Advanti Bello) rims on tirerack.com - the 9.5" rears won't be in this season, just spoke to them on the phone. so they are suggesting buying 4 x 8.5" rims and the 255/40ZR19 Winter Sottozero Serie II all around. I get the whole rotate tire and possibly cutting through snow better- i just can't see giving up happy-pedal traction when it's not snowing. I wish i had more traction in the rear every day- now.

what state are you in? how many months do you leave them on? how much traction are you giving up? what rims are you running for the 255/40ZR19 tires you did purchase?

thanks,

Hak
    2012 CTS-V Wagon: Crystal Red/Titanium, Recaros, Sunroof, Wood, 19" graphite, suede, tint

Quote Originally Posted by hakalugi View Post
    Dragon, been happy with them?

I've got a 2012 V-wagon and going to get snow tires (it's first winter not in a showroom is coming up).

the affordable 19" (Advanti Bello) rims on tirerack.com - the 9.5" rears won't be in this season, just spoke to them on the phone. so they are suggesting buying 4 x 8.5" rims and the 255/40ZR19 Winter Sottozero Serie II all around. I get the whole rotate tire and possibly cutting through snow better- i just can't see giving up happy-pedal traction when it's not snowing. I wish i had more traction in the rear every day- now.

what state are you in? how many months do you leave them on? how much traction are you giving up? what rims are you running for the 255/40ZR19 tires you did purchase?

thanks,

Hak
    Hak,
    I sold my Vagon earlier this month. Anyway, I live in the DC area, and I had the Pirelli Sottozeros on the Vagon from around early to mid November until March, until the temps were regularly above 40 degrees. Less than that, and the regular summer tires could turn into hockey pucks. I had them mounted on the stock wheels. I was satisfied with them. I obviously wouldn't go to the track with them, but I didn't feel like that were a hinderance to my daily driving. In fact, I kept them and will be putting them on my Pontiac G8 GT when the weather gets cooler.

I had Blizzaks in 255/45 18 on TSW Nuburgring wheels in 18x9.5".

I was pleasantly surprised with the dry traction. It certainly was a compromise from stock, but not awful. And my V was running around 630hp at the crank...
    IBMike likes this.

RaVeNous is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Coupe

I'm about to try 235/55/19 on my V - They are going to be tall and narrow...

hakalugi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    I had Blizzaks in 255/45 18 on TSW Nuburgring wheels in 18x9.5".

I was pleasantly surprised with the dry traction. It certainly was a compromise from stock, but not awful. And my V was running around 630hp at the crank...
    Thanks Jim. Do you recall if this is the specs on the TSW Nubrugring that fit over our big ole breaks?

Diameter 18.0”
    Width 9.5”
    Bolt Pattern 5-120.0mm
    Offset 40

did you get any tire pressure kit/sensor for them?
    2012 CTS-V Wagon: Crystal Red/Titanium, Recaros, Sunroof, Wood, 19" graphite, suede, tint

They were originally my track wheels, so no sensors. Yes, those are the specs...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.