C6 push button start in the V's
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, C6 push button start in the V's in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Im wondering if anyone has thought about or even looked into adding the push start in the V's line in ...
    Rabbitctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 ctsv, 1966 coupe de ville

C6 push button start in the V's

Im wondering if anyone has thought about or even looked into adding the push start in the V's line in the C6 corvette. if the fo-key is turned half way its in accessory mode, The corvette if you hit the bottom part of the button it goes into the same accessory mode, if you turn the key forward all the way it starts, if you hit the upper part of the button on the vette it starts. My question is how hard wound it be to make this mod? I loved the button in the corvette, And for what ever reason GM decided to put that ****ing key thing in our V's, its like they did that last sec and shipped them out. ive always thought that the V needs a better way to start it. but not a key, or fake key, maybe telepathy ??
    930chas, 930chas, Rock1 and 1 others like this.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

930chas is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): escalade

Re: C6 push button start in the V's

Agreed 100%. When I first got in mine I couldn't figure out wtf was going on with the fake key in the ignition. It isn't like keyless go is brand new. MB has been doing it since 2004. I don't understand at all why there isn't a push button ignition.

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Call me oldschool, but I like turning a key. I prefer actually having a key, but if I have to have keyless ignition, the CTS's vestigial key is better than a button.
    concorso and concorso like this.

Rabbitctsv is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 ctsv, 1966 coupe de ville

im going to buy the push button out of a totaled vette, and start looking for what im going to need, im sure there is a relay box that will need to go with the vette push button, so ill do some looking, i would hope someone would chime in that has done any thing with vette starters .

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I the SRX's I drove had push-button start. I'm not enthralled with the Idea if I'm honest.. I naturally go to turn a key to start a car- I think cadillac thought that most people buying a CTS would feel more comfortable with the keyless in this way- and also rembmer the smart key is an option on the normal CTS (or it was in 2008 at least)- so there's less cost involved in reusing the ignition this way instead of redesigning the dash and steering column for a button.

I am pretty sure that is why the CTS has the rotary ignition instead of pushbutton, because of the base CTS.

Club Malibu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V, White, Manual, Bone stock, no sun-roof

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyH View Post
    Call me oldschool, but I like turning a key. I prefer actually having a key, but if I have to have keyless ignition, the CTS's vestigial key is better than a button.
    Agree 100%

TimmyC is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS-V and 2007 STS-V The Murdalac

I like the button in my STS-V. It's the same system as the Vette. You can get a new STS/vette button from the dealer for less than $50. I'd do that before buying one from a yard. The early (05-07) ones cracked a lot.

Fireverm is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan Black Diamond manual

One of my inital disappointments with the V was the lack of push button start.

DrVolkl is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V Wagon

Anyone who doesn't like the "button" start just needs to get used to it. I prefer it for sure... I really miss it in my Audi S4. Definitely cooler way to fire up an engine.

If you really want a challenge, get a Porsche with the key on the left side of the steering wheel. You'll never stop looking for it on the right. lol

Quote Originally Posted by DrVolkl View Post
    Anyone who doesn't like the "button" start just needs to get used to it.
    Yes we do. It's as inevitable as power operated windows. But unlike power windows, push button start bites the big one. In a big way.

zinner is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V / 2010 SRX 2.8T

It's funny my wifes SRX has a push button, the lowest model in the lineup, my CTS-V has the fake key, and the Escalate the top of the line has a real key start. GM is never consistent about anything in their cars. I think it has to do with parts sourcing and cutting corners.

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

I don't think it's so much cutting corners as export market requirements. This was an issue with the last car I owned, an Acura RL. It has a keyless start requiring a turn of a fake key, exactly like the V. In export markets, it's known as the Honda Legend. In some markets Honda does business in, push button is not allowed yet. The fake key is a way to satisfy Americans, Japanese, and Europeans who want keyless entry and start, and yet satisfy the requirements of other export markets......or so we supposed in a similar discussion on Acurazine a few years ago.

I suspect it's much the same for the CTS-V, which is actively exported. Similar issue with the front bumper cutouts on our cars--we don't have headlight washers, but certain export markets do, and it's cheaper to make the same bumper for all CTSs/Vs. We therefore get stuck with functionless bumper cutouts.

In any case, I'm used to the fake key as I have now done it for over five years between the RL and CTS-V.

mrl859 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 White SRX Performance/2011 Radiant Silver CTS-V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post

I suspect it's much the same for the CTS-V, which is actively exported. Similar issue with the front bumper cutouts on our cars--we don't have headlight washers, but certain export markets do, and it's cheaper to make the same bumper for all CTSs/Vs.
    Um.....I have headlight washers.
    RapidRob, RapidRob, Rock1 and 1 others like this.

RapidRob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V Black/Black, manual

^^^ - +1, and my V2 is a 2009 ...

Rob

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.