Clear bra - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree2Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Clear bra in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Originally Posted by SoCalCTSV Just dropped off my V Coupe at installer for the bumper, rear bumper (top) and hood. ...
    junker87 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Wagon 6 speed

Re: Clear bra

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCTSV View Post
    Just dropped off my V Coupe at installer for the bumper, rear bumper (top) and hood. Also doing tint and remove CTS emblem.

Question - how far up the hood are your clear bras going up? Mine will be 23 inches from the center. Also, mine isnt not going to be straight across but a "bikini" style that will follow the curves of the front of the hood.
    A good installer can custom wrap the entire hood.

My M5 had the entire car covered, which means they wrapped the entire hood, no seams anywhere.

Did you ask them to do the whole hood or are they not capable of it? The incremental cost of doing the entire hood is not that much more, and there is no line.

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCTSV View Post
    I saw a dark grey BMW M5 with a clear bra at the shop and didnt even notice the bra until owner pointed it out. The place I am doing it at does cars for the dealerships and do mainly high end cars. I am apprehensive but I know its a compromise of protection and appearance.
    Did you look up Premier at all?

It doesn't matter that they do "a lot of cars for dealership."

My GT2 had clearbra done by an installer that "does a lot of cars for a Porsche dealership up north." Incompetent fool left some nice razor cuts because like I said before, most installers should stick to putting stickers on their kids matchbox cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Houdini View Post
    If/when I get one I want to do the entire hood. I have a black car so my fear is that I would see the line if they don't do the entire hood.

I saw a black V2 with a partial hood clear bra at my dealership this past weekend. It looked freakin awful and almost scared me away from clear bras altogether. I have no idea what they did wrong. It appears the owner didn't keep it up or something. The covered parts were so obvious and dirty/hazy looking compared to the rest of the car that looked pristine.
    Again, it's not the product, but the incompetent fools that pass them off as installers.

Do a search on Premier on Porsche and Ferrari forums.

A properly installed clearbra is invisible. And you shouldn't be able to see ANY seams. When my M5 was totalled the adjuster did not even notice it the first time he came out. That is the quality you should expect. Anything less than that you should tell the "installer" to stick to matchbox toys.

And yes, I feel very strongly about this because my GT2 had nice razor marks from "an installer that does a lot of cars for a Porsche dealership up north."

SoCalCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV Coupe, 1966 Chevelle

Mine was installed and you have to look for it to see it. They did a fantastic job. Detail shops don't last 13 years if they are doing a poor job.

Here are some pictures of the clearbra install, as well as what it should look like after the install by a comptent installer.

Note the area I circled. A non matchbox sticker installer should be able to cover your entire hood and tuck the excess film on the sides of the hood, so that when you close the hood, even if you get your nose right up to the surface of the hood, you cannot tell that there is clearbra.

If an installer cannot cover the entire hood even if you ask them to, then they are simply using the precut kits, which is pretty sad.

This is the quality you should expect from your clearbra installer.
    Attached Images

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

I think I will try to get this done and do the whole front end and fenders. The problem I currently have is that the paint is 6,000 miles old(so a few rock chips already), and the idiots at the dealership put a million micro-scratches all over the vehicle from running it through a car-- so the front-end needs to be corrected before throwing the bra on.

Quote Originally Posted by M5eater View Post
    I think I will try to get this done and do the whole front end and fenders. The problem I currently have is that the paint is 6,000 miles old(so a few rock chips already), and the idiots at the dealership put a million micro-scratches all over the vehicle from running it through a car-- so the front-end needs to be corrected before throwing the bra on.
    You can also buy a touchup paint stick (at least all German brands sell them) and have a good bodyshop touch them up. Wait 30 days, don't drive the car much, then have a good detailer do a paint correction.

If a detailer doesn't own a paint meter, run, do not walk, out of there. Any good detailer should be able to tell you how much clear they are going to take off as part of the correction process. Then you can find a good clearbra installer and have them wrap the entire hood, fender and bumper.

It's a pain but your car will look brand new after this forever, barring any accident.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by junker87 View Post
    You can also buy a touchup paint stick (at least all German brands sell them) and have a good bodyshop touch them up. Wait 30 days, don't drive the car much, then have a good detailer do a paint correction.

If a detailer doesn't own a paint meter, run, do not walk, out of there. Any good detailer should be able to tell you how much clear they are going to take off as part of the correction process. Then you can find a good clearbra installer and have them wrap the entire hood, fender and bumper.

It's a pain but your car will look brand new after this forever, barring any accident.
    thanks for the suggestions!

Ctsv wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 ctsv wagon

Trying to respond to a couple different replies. It's well worth it but the most important part of this process is to find a good instller. Mine can do anything I ask on the car. When I get my cars regardless to brand new or used I take it straight to my installer. Doesn't matter how many miles assuming the car doesn't need to be repainted. My latest car is a 2011 cts-v wagon(black) Had entire front end wrapped with mirrors, door handle inserts, rocker panels, rear trunck entry and door thresh holds. Anything that is touched by feet or hands. You must keep this product waxed or it will start to cloud up. If you wrap the whole hood and fenders there are no white lines from wax. I had to redo part of mine on my first car from my neglecting to wax the product. Watched it being redone. No cut lines and the paint is perfect. It has saved many of my cars from damage. Well worth it. Just get a good installer.

CTS-V Dragon Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Wagon

Quote Originally Posted by cruiser68 View Post
    No need to cure factory paint. Only paint done at a body shop. I had my dealer put the bra on my V before taking delivery. Now I have to wait for the rear bumper to cure before I can wax it thanks to some stupid b$tch that rear ended me
    Let me guess, was this person on a cell phone or just some frenetic Soccer Mom in a hurry to get somewhere?

----------

I have had Clear Bra's on a Subaru STI, Infiniti M35 Sport, and Nissan GT-R. Some low life that probably woke up angry at the world and felt I didn't deserve my GT-R keyed it. Fortunately the cretin keyed it along the top of the GT-R's grill, so that the damage was only done to the Clear Bra vinyl (which I've since had replaced). No damage to the paint, so the Clear Bra paid for itself. I am thinking about a Clear Bra for my '09 CTS-V, but having recently purchased it and with over 39K miles on it, I'm wondering about what prep work to do. For a car with this many miles, it's actually in really good shape, and that's no faint praise coming from me, the person who always parks his vehicles waaaaaaaaaaaaay far away from everyone else. Also I would like recommendations on Clear Bra installers in the DC/Baltimore area. Thanks!

SoCalCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV Coupe, 1966 Chevelle

Don't forget the door handle cups. Had mine done recently and it really helps.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.