Suede steering wheel, shifter boot and shift-knob
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Suede steering wheel, shifter boot and shift-knob in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Anyone know anyone that is selling these upgrades? I couldn't get the suede parts because I didn't want the Recaro's. ...
    EdwardETraylorIII is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V, Z06s, ZR1...

Suede steering wheel, shifter boot and shift-knob

Anyone know anyone that is selling these upgrades? I couldn't get the suede parts because I didn't want the Recaro's. However, I want the suede wheel, shifter boot and knob (outer contours).

I suppose I could contact Caravaggio but WOW are they pricey... (but they do amazing work)

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

FLYING V is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Re: Suede steering wheel, shifter boot and shift-knob

Have you checked the dealer? When I bought mine the guy I got it from said the dealer only wanted like $275 or so for the steering wheel.

EdwardETraylorIII is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): CTS-V, Z06s, ZR1...

I have not! I will do that shortly!!! Great idea!

keithsm2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05' Stealth Gray V, UUC STS, 11 V Coupe, W. Diamond, B&B Ex

im not a big fan of my suede steering wheel....Didnt really want it to start with but car came with it..... I find it requires a stronger grip....not a problem usually ...but on long trips...i find my hands cramping up from holding the wheel tighter... I also imagine it will get dirty over time with no good way to clean it....

( whats different about the shift boot?)

Houdini is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V 6MT, 2007 CTS-V (Sold)

It's actually microfiber not suede... right? That should be super easy to clean.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

keithsm2 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 05' Stealth Gray V, UUC STS, 11 V Coupe, W. Diamond, B&B Ex

how do you clean microfiber?? I can understand on a couch....but how would you clean a steering wheel with it??

OldRoadDawg is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Quote Originally Posted by keithsm2 View Post
    how do you clean microfiber?? I can understand on a couch....but how would you clean a steering wheel with it??
    I use both a small upholstery brush and toothbrush to bring up the nap on the steering wheel/shift knob by lightly brushing.
    Then I use cotton wash cloth, dampened with water and a VERY small amount of mild liquid soap... rub the soiled areas as you keep turning the cloth until there is no more dirt showing on the cloth.

The emphasis is on being gentle and just enough moisture/soap to loosen any body oil matted areas, but not saturate.

My steering wheel and shift knob look as good as Day 1... that's over 2 yrs ago.
    thebigjimsho and thebigjimsho like this.

thebigjimsho is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): ZIP

The microfiber will be fine FAR longer than a leather wheel will. It's synthetic, it's easy to clean and it stands up to heavy use. I may have only 33k miles, but I do have some track days and autocrosses and they look as good as day 1, like OldRoadDawg...

Also, call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac for best prices and service...
    M5eater and M5eater like this.

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

If Luke discounts the same way as my guy does, you'll be suede'd for under $300 shipped, wheel and knob. You're basically getting it for what it cost to put it on a brand new car. I would also reccomend a DIY install and skip the $200 dealer idiot install fees. It's literally a snap.

Worst part is getting an order in before parts back-orders. Otherwise you're looking at a few months.

The microfiber will be fine FAR longer than a leather wheel will. It's synthetic, it's easy to clean and it stands up to heavy use. I may have only 33k miles, but I do have some track days and autocrosses and they look as good as day 1, like OldRoadDawg...
    I will say, the alcantara in the S4 was wearing a lot better than the smooth leather was. The Driver side bolster was wearing though, but the center suede, aside from being a bit stained (it was white..) was wrinkle and tear free even after 130K and 10 years of ass-sitter-y. If anything, I'd say it was getting just a bit thin in some sections from cleaning up the microfiber balls with a lint remover, but nothing where you could see-through anything in the slightest.

Would I say that Suede will last longer than some good leather in a wheel though? I'm not sure yet. Certainly leather will crack and shine over time, that much is true. If it lasts 100-150K, I'll be happy, that's as long as anyone can expect from leather in a car they care about anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by thebigjimsho View Post
    While I meant like ORD's experience, he is also quite studly as well...
    OldRoadDawg and OldRoadDawg like this.

maggioth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V and 2009 CTS4 DI

are there many types of suede steering wheels or it is cut and dry on the part #. my dealers parts dept. seems to think there are many styles, i think he is wrong. can you provide me with the part numbers for the knob and wheel for a 2009 cts-v? thanks, tom.

could you post step by step directions and the tools needed for the swap out of the wheel and knob.

Skip your dealer and call Luke at Lindsay Cadillac...

you were right. luke is very knowledgeable and his price was excellent. any instructions on doing the swap-out myself?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.