Interior leather maint question
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By Torxila
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Interior leather maint question in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Morning folks. Just picked up a '12 Blk Dia Cpe w Blk/saffron Recaros. I am concerned long term with maintaining ...
    DrMongo is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTS-V Coupe, Black Diamond, Blk/Saffron Recaro's

Interior leather maint question

Morning folks. Just picked up a '12 Blk Dia Cpe w Blk/saffron Recaros. I am concerned long term with maintaining the pristine color of the saffron panels. I have in the past had issues with color/dye transfer from clothes to lighter interior leathers, really a problem w my CLS550, never really solved it.
    WHAT, would my esteemed peers suggest for treatment and follow-up maintenance of the leather? I would really appreciate some input. I have asked detail guys and never really got any good advise. HELP PLEASE!
    Thx.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Re: Interior leather maint question

the leather in our cars is coated, I would assume the CLS550 was natural hide, you won't have any of the problems of the CLS550 in the V.

There are several different brands of treatment products for coated leather, most are designed to be vinyl/rubber protectants, adams leather conditioner, 303, and lexol Vinyl conditioner are all designed for coated leather surfaces. All of which also have fairly high SPF rattings to prevent fading and drying. The important part isn't so much that you pick which product as it is that you pick the right product. Lanolin and heavy oil based products will not work as well, and may even damage the surface of the coating.

Personally, I'm using Adams conditioner, the shine is low, and it actually has a leather scent.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

i use this. works great 0 shine

Rock1 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTSV Black Diamond Edition, 2006 SRM Pontiac GTO

How do you care for the alacantra panels? I have them on the steering wheel as well as the shifter and the suede inserts that are in Recaros?

Torxila is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1 of 1 Evo Green Coupe 6m, with RB9

For the fake suede or the Saffron inserts and the steering wheel/shifter, I use a suede brush (got from shoe repair store). It's made from soft rubber that when you brush the material it will bring back the Knapp/fuzziness of the fake or real suede if you have that.

To clean both I use FOAM/SUDS ONLY! not soapy water. To make the foam suds, I use a small kitchen whisk warm water and Johnson's Baby Shampoo.
    Just keep whisking the sh!t out of it for more foam. This may sound like a lot of work but I've used it on my last 2 cars that had real suede seat inserts and door panels and now my V coupe with the saffron seat inserts/door panels and steering wheel.

Other people have suggested wearing driving gloves (I know,I know) if you sweat a lot or have oily hands.

George
    Rock1 and Rock1 like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.