oCarbon.com - CTS-V carbon fiber interior trim production - Page 11
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, oCarbon.com - CTS-V carbon fiber interior trim production in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I just had another idea. Have you ever thought of 3D printing? Most universities have one and will let you ...
    LyndellWiggins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
    I just had another idea. Have you ever thought of 3D printing? Most universities have one and will let you use it. The printed product could be simple and inexpensive. It would just need the basic shape and the latches to attach it to the car. All the reinforcement and strength could come from the carbon fiber. I have no idea if this would actually work or if you've thought of this before. But like I said, I'm just spit balling. It just seems like it shouldn't be that hard to replicate a plastic piece that does nothing more than just look pretty. Especially when the pretty will not even come from the plastic but rather from the carbon fiber.

matt@ocarbon is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): none

Re: oCarbon.com - CTS-V carbon fiber interior trim production

Quote Originally Posted by LyndellWiggins View Post
    And like you said, Chinese copies will not fit as well, but for something like the stereo trim does it necessarily have to be super snug? I mean its not a moving part. How bad could it be?
    I've seen pretty bad. You also have to worry about things like rattles with poorly fit pieces. It's just not worth trying to save some money for low quality parts on the interiors.

I just had another idea. Have you ever thought of 3D printing? Most universities have one and will let you use it. The printed product could be simple and inexpensive. It would just need the basic shape and the latches to attach it to the car. All the reinforcement and strength could come from the carbon fiber
    You're oversimplifying. Universities aren't going to just let me use their equipment, nor are they going to teach me how to use it. You'd also need to scan the pieces and get them designed. Carbon fiber gets its strength from multiple layers of fabric, along with the precise amount of epoxy. Interior pieces only have 1 layer, which isn't strong at all. We also use more epoxy than we should for strength purposes, because additional epoxy is much more attractive.

It just seems like it shouldn't be that hard to replicate a plastic piece that does nothing more than just look pretty. Especially when the pretty will not even come from the plastic but rather from the carbon fiber.
    It's a lot harder than it seems. Trust me, we've explored many avenues on getting core costs down. The only way to do it is to buy used cores, but sometimes they can be tricky to find.

LyndellWiggins is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2013 Cadillac CTS-V Coupe
    I guess you do have a point on the needing to know how to use the 3D printers and scanners. But the community college in my small town lets anyone use their printer. Well I guess I'll just have to try and find some pieces from a wrecked CTS-V or something. Thanks for the good work. If there was some way that you could have some pieces made and sent to me I could in return send you my set of wood finish from a 2013. I just cant do without my trim for the duration of the process.

Few more pictures of some recent pieces:

IBMike is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2013 CTS-V Black Diamond Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by matt@ocarbon View Post

We have made quite a few in yellow, and since every set we make is made to order, we can do it in whatever color/fabric the customer wants.
    Just read the entire thread and checked out your website... you do amazing work!

So, while I'm still searching for a V (ideally it'll be black with yellow calipers), if one of y'all could go ahead and order a full set of yellow and install it, so I can see what it'll look like, I'd really appreciate it!

TTuned is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 09 Cts-V650

how much to do my fake carbon printed splitter in a nice deep glossy yummy cf?

Quote Originally Posted by TTuned View Post
    how much to do my fake carbon printed splitter in a nice deep glossy yummy cf?
    I don't know. Email me (matt@ocarbon.com) some pictures of it and I can get you a quote.

Slick 6MT is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): CTS V

Everything looks great! Any finished photos of the red CF interior?

Quote Originally Posted by Slick 6MT View Post
    Everything looks great! Any finished photos of the red CF interior?
    Just these here:
    http://ocarbon.com/blog/2011/09/red-cts-v-set-is-done/
    http://ocarbon.com/blog/2011/11/coup...teaser-photos/

dr.duct_mossburg is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cts-V

I'm from the B5 S4 world... an "OG" by some standards. These fellas have been around serving and taking care of that community for a long time. They've done many people right and I don't recall seeing one bad experience.

tkracing is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2012 cts-v coupe

Yeah we know and some of us feel that's why he is lagging in getting the product to us. Most have cancelled their orders and I am about to do the same.

Quote Originally Posted by dr.duct_mossburg View Post
    I'm from the B5 S4 world... an "OG" by some standards. These fellas have been around serving and taking care of that community for a long time. They've done many people right and I don't recall seeing one bad experience.

SoCalCTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2012 CTSV Coupe, 1966 Chevelle
    I don't question their quality or integrity. BUT you can't take someone's money in November and not deliver 3-4 months later. He's honest and easy to get a refund. An explanation and a realistic time frame would have been better.

NM11CTSV is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Sedan

I was really interested in this. Piano black is a scratch magnet and I wanted to replace it with something.

Anyone have a update on their orders? Still 3-4 months out?

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalCTSV View Post
    I don't question their quality or integrity. BUT you can't take someone's money in November and not deliver 3-4 months later. He's honest and easy to get a refund. An explanation and a realistic time frame would have been better.
    Unfortunately we just couldn't figure out manufacturing the trunk trim at scale. The quality was not where we wanted it to be. I didn't want to send out a sub-par product just to get it out the door. We refunded everyone who asked as quickly as possible. It was unfortunate situation, I wish it would have turned out better. We still continue to work on those pieces, and hopefully we'll get them figured out and we can offer them.

Quote Originally Posted by NM11CTSV View Post
    I was really interested in this. Piano black is a scratch magnet and I wanted to replace it with something.

Anyone have a update on their orders? Still 3-4 months out?
    The interior trim pieces we've been doing for a long time and can get them made pretty quickly. We were only having issues with the exterior trunk pieces. Shoot me an email at matt@ocarbon.com if you have any questions.

BigDog001 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Black Diamond V Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by matt@ocarbon View Post
    Unfortunately we just couldn't figure out manufacturing the trunk trim at scale. The quality was not where we wanted it to be. I didn't want to send out a sub-par product just to get it out the door. We refunded everyone who asked as quickly as possible. It was unfortunate situation, I wish it would have turned out better. We still continue to work on those pieces, and hopefully we'll get them figured out and we can offer them.

The interior trim pieces we've been doing for a long time and can get them made pretty quickly. We were only having issues with the exterior trunk pieces. Shoot me an email at matt@ocarbon.com if you have any questions.
    Matt -- I sent you an email last week -- how do I get the refund? I think I paid through PayPal

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.