Crystal Red paint orders for CTS-V may likely stop soon following Japan earthquake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Crystal Red paint orders for CTS-V may likely stop soon following Japan earthquake in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; It was just announced on Corvette Blogger that Crystal Red Tintcoat (along with Cyber Gray and Jetstream Blue) used on ...
    Nutz is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!

Crystal Red paint orders for CTS-V may likely stop soon following Japan earthquake

It was just announced on Corvette Blogger that Crystal Red Tintcoat (along with Cyber Gray and Jetstream Blue) used on Corvettes is going to cease production based on the lack of "shimmering" Xirallic pigment used from a now damaged paint plant just 35 miles away from the Fukushima Nuclear Facility.

I'm assuming we share same paint, but maybe someone can chime in for a definite confirmation.

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2011/...011_2011colors

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

whisler151 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS Coupe, 2010 Ford Raptor

Re: Crystal Red paint orders for CTS-V may likely stop soon following Japan earthquak

Ford is having the same issue with its Tuxedo Black.

elphil is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Really Cool '11 CTS-V Wagon

Re: Crystal Red paint orders for CTS-V may likely stop soon following Japan earthquak

Is Cyber Grey our Thunder Grey? Just hope you don't need some body repair soon.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade on Order

Cyber Gray and Thundergray are NOT the same paint codes.

Nutz is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 09 CTS-V a tuxedo with a jetpack!

I don't see a problem with a good reputable body shop matching up with the color if needed, it just looks like the palette of color choices for ordering a new one just may have one less choice soon. It's due to change anyways. I'd like to see a dark blue metallic or Gold Mist replace it.

Caddy Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Wagon 6MT Crystal Red all options NO sunroof

My sources tell me this is going to affect all of the CTS extra charge paint codes, and most of the GM extra charge paint codes. If you picked a metallic extra charge paint and your car hasn't been built yet, you may have to pick another color. I'm just happy my car got built last week!

Playdrv4me is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 1992 STS / 2005 MB G500 / 2008 Mini Cooper Clubman S

Quote Originally Posted by Nutz View Post
    I don't see a problem with a good reputable body shop matching up with the color if needed, it just looks like the palette of color choices for ordering a new one just may have one less choice soon. It's due to change anyways. I'd like to see a dark blue metallic or Gold Mist replace it.
    Funny, that's the first time I've ever seen anyone desiring a GOLD paint color, but I have to say, after spending a short time with our first Gold Mist Escalade before it broke beyond repair... the gold mist color REALLY grew on me. I was actually sad to see it go, even though I ended up with a black on black one which would have been my first choice to begin with.

"The shortage of a specialty pigment that gives cars a glittering shine has prompted automakers to temporarily restrict orders on vehicles in certain shades of black, red and other colors.
    Major automakers, including Chrysler Group, Toyota Motor, General Motors and Ford Motor use the pigment, called Xirallic, produced at only one factory in the world - the Onahama plant near the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power station in Japan.
    The plant is operated by German chemical company Merck KGaA, and has been evacuated. Merck spokesman Gangolf Schrimpf said the company does not know when it will be permitted to reopen the plant, which was closed soon after the March 11 earthquake.
    Chrysler told dealers it was restricting orders on vehicles in 10 colors, including two variations of black and three of red. Ford is slowing production of vehicles in "tuxedo black" and three variations of red."

zero26039 is offline Banned
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

how many special edition blacks were produced this year? might be a rare color for 2011 if production of that color ends.

Quote Originally Posted by zero26039 View Post
    how many special edition blacks were produced this year? might be a rare color for 2011 if production of that color ends.
    I'm pretty sure the Black Diamond color uses a different metallic pigment.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.