Black Diamond paint more durable?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Black Diamond paint more durable? in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; I'm not a paint expert but when they say the Black Diamond paint is a 'multi-step' process would that indicate ...
    keepupp is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2014 XTS V-Sport

Black Diamond paint more durable?

I'm not a paint expert but when they say the Black Diamond paint is a 'multi-step' process would that indicate it has additional layers? I have a new Black Diamond Sedan on order to replace my recently water damaged 2011 Sedan. Any input on this from folks that understand the paint process is appreciated.

Regards

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Caddy Wagon is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 11 CTS-V Wagon 6MT Crystal Red all options NO sunroof

Re: Black Diamond paint more durable?

From what I've read about it, the Black Diamond is not going to be any more durable than any of the other colors. It might take more scratching to get down to the metal (due to being a 3 stage paint), but the top coat is still going to get swirls, etc. the same as the rest.

Razorecko is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V , 2010 SRX 2.8T

3 stage paints are considerably more durable. Not only that but any "pear effect / glitter " paints always hide swirls /defects better

Quote Originally Posted by Razorecko View Post
    3 stage paints are considerably more durable. Not only that but any "pear effect / glitter " paints always hide swirls /defects better
    That is what I was thinking. My Balck Raven is being replaced due to extensive water damage with a new car and this time around I ordered a Black Diamond with the thought that the crystal/diamond 'effect' would dull the appearance of scratches and swirls. Also, my Black Raven sedan already has swirls 1000 miles into ownership. New car is to be produced next week!

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade on Order

According to factory insiders, it takes 2.5 days to build a Black Diamond CTS due to the fact that it has to go through the body shop more than one time due to it's multi-layer paint. I would say the paint is more durable as it has more layers.

Quote Originally Posted by CTS-V-TWIN View Post
    According to factory insiders, it takes 2.5 days to build a Black Diamond CTS due to the fact that it has to go through the body shop more than one time due to it's multi-layer paint. I would say the paint is more durable as it has more layers.
    Thats good info, thank you. I am interested to see what the Black Diamond looks like in person. I'm a tad nervous, but your comments have me fairly at ease. I have seen your pics and it looks good! Mine will be a 6spd Manual Sedan WITHOUT the Ultra View (a departure from my current 2011 Black Raven/Automatic/U;ltra View Sedan).

hulksdaddy is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): <-----"Hulk" 2000-2012...He will always be missed :-(

More durable? Not enough to make a difference, real world. It will scratch and swirl just as easily, and chip as notoriously easily as all the other paints.

Loos badass though!

CASEY122457 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Don't all paints have a clear coat? I don't see how it can be more durable, as all swirls are on the clear coat, not the base coat.

Kado91Z is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V sedan manual

So your new vehicle replacement went through? I am still waiting as I have been out of town two weeks for training but I was thinking of doing the same thing if they replace mine.

GM-4-LIFE is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2014 MN6 V Coupe, 2015i Escalade on Order

Quote Originally Posted by keepupp View Post
    Thats good info, thank you. I am interested to see what the Black Diamond looks like in person. I'm a tad nervous, but your comments have me fairly at ease. I have seen your pics and it looks good! Mine will be a 6spd Manual Sedan WITHOUT the Ultra View (a departure from my current 2011 Black Raven/Automatic/U;ltra View Sedan).
    Smart man! I had a 2009 CTS-V and the sunroof drove me nuts. Not because I had problems with it, but because the sun would come through the sunshade and heat up my scalp. I special ordered my 2010 CTS-V and my 2011 V Coupe WITHOUT the sunroof and I am so much happier without it. Quieter, cooler and the roof is stiffer. Don't shy away from Black Diamond. It is an amazing color and looks really nice in person. I ordered mine sight unseen and I was very happy I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Kado91Z View Post
    So your new vehicle replacement went through? I am still waiting as I have been out of town two weeks for training but I was thinking of doing the same thing if they replace mine.
    I can tell you a new car has been ordered. I dont know exactly how the swap will be completed and even they (the dealership) doesnt quite know BUT corporate is working some magic I'm told. I cant say for 100% certainty until a swap of cars is completed. Stay tuned since my new car is due to be built next week (apparently some strings were pulled to get it to production in less than 2 weeks time).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.