Getting New Paint!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, Getting New Paint! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; Had to take my new V into the shop Monday. When I washed it i noticed that the Front Driver's ...
    samplejs is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2011 CTS-V Sedan

Getting New Paint!

Had to take my new V into the shop Monday. When I washed it i noticed that the Front Driver's quarter panel was a different color black than the rest of the car. There is also some of the mis-colored paint on the driver's door and hood.

Dayton, OH dealer I bought it from says they never did any paint and the dealer here in indy ran a carfax report and nothing showed up.

Cadillac is repainting all pieces under warranty but since everyone swears his must have happened at the factory check your paint in bright light before you buy or shortly after.

If I had not found this until the summer and can bet that they would have blamed me for the bad paint job. Since I have only had the car three weeks they are not giving me any trouble.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MReiland is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 13 Volt, 2008 Outlook XR (05 CTS Blk/Blk Traded-in)

Re: Getting New Paint!

I can't believe it would have happened at the factory. The paint is all done robotically. The vehicles go down a final line looking for any blemish under about 2000 flourescent lights. Anything that they notice gets pulled out and it heads back to be repaired by some incredible body guys. My guess is that somewhere after it left the factory it must have been scratched that required a repaint of the front quarter (with overspray on the hood and door) and no one is fessing up.... (During transportation or even on the lot somehow)

Ross L is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 cts-v

Can you "live with" the mismatch or is it pretty noticable? Any chance a good polish and wax job could would help. Every repaint I've every seen has left some evidence of being a repaint. Such as; overspray in door jam where hinges are, tape line somewhere, lack of adhesion down the road, slight texture or shade difference, something. I would be concerned with repair being "more noticable" than issues you have now. I hope it all works out for you.
    Ross

no the repaint was very badly done. There are metallic chips in the very corner that fade. The color has some sort of brown mixed into it which is why it was so noticeable, the paint on the door outlines the masking paper and tape making it very visible and there is varying degrees of orange peeling from slightly bad to horrible. It really looks like it was wrecked and repainted by an absolute amateur.

While no repaint is ever perfect. this was way too badly done to live with. The dealer here is assuring me they are going to do every possible to make this perfect since it should have never been sold in this condition.

I will cut the original dealer some slack though if it wasn't them since with over-cast skies, snow and rain, they might have missed it.

tedcmiller is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur

You don't say whether the car you bought, and are complaining about, was purchased new or used. If new, then you have a legitimate complaint. If used, it might have been wrecked, and bad body work was done (probably by the dealer - which would explain why he is so eager to fix it). Either way, your factory warranty should cover it.

baabootoo is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Blue/Titanium 2009 V Auto

I had that happen to me with a new DTS too. I brought it in for a windshield issue, and the guy says, "Hey, what happened to the roof?" I looked and saw an odd swirl mark. He said someone must have dropped something on it, and they did a lousy job of touching up just the spot. They redid the whole roof and it was great then.

Quote Originally Posted by tedcmiller View Post
    You don't say whether the car you bought, and are complaining about, was purchased new or used. If new, then you have a legitimate complaint. If used, it might have been wrecked, and bad body work was done (probably by the dealer - which would explain why he is so eager to fix it). Either way, your factory warranty should cover it.
    You are right I never did say. The car was purchased new (a 2011 sedan) with 19 miles on the odometer when i took delivery.

Tedboss1 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTSV Auto

samplejs
    You should change your "Cadilac(s) I drive to show 2011 sedan.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.