you guys warned me, but HOLY HELL the black interior trim scratches easily!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
2009-2014 Cadillac CTS-V Appearance Mods Discussion, you guys warned me, but HOLY HELL the black interior trim scratches easily! in Cadillac CTS-V Series Forum - 2009-2014; how can anything that is strong enough to be formed into something hard be so soft??!! nothing a little polish ...
    e6t
    e6t is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2 CTSV

you guys warned me, but HOLY HELL the black interior trim scratches easily!

how can anything that is strong enough to be formed into something hard be so soft??!!

nothing a little polish didnt quickly take care of...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Tom_E is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): NONE - Picked up a 2014 C7

Re: you guys warned me, but HOLY HELL the black interior trim scratches easily!

I just had my new V/Coupe protected with Venture Shield. I had them do the black center console to protect against the scratching. You can't even tell it's on. You might consider doing the same.
    I also had a piece installed where you would place your hand to close the door, since there is nothing but paint otherwise. Also had the painted surface at the truck opening done so my clubs won't scratch the paint.

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

Who did you order the kit from? This sounds like a nice solution for the interior.

Quote Originally Posted by dqw1 View Post
    Who did you order the kit from? This sounds like a nice solution for the interior.
    My installer custom cut the pieces to fit. He charged me $100 and did the entire center section.

dqw1 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2009 CTS-V

I wish I thought of it when I had the exterior done.

IBNR is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2010 CTS-V (Silver over Black Recaros)

Tom, did your installer have to take apart the center console to do this? What about the area around the gear shift lever? Does the VentureShield wrap around the sides and onto the back of the black parts? If so, I wonder if this wouldn't kill two birds with one stone -- scratch resistance and helping to silence the clicks and pops that many people get from these areas especially in hard turns. Have you noticed any creaks, clicks or pops from the hard plastic parts in your car?

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by dqw1 View Post
    I wish I thought of it when I had the exterior done.
    Me, too.

My center console, particularly next to the shifter, is scratched all to hell. The problem, I never touch that area! I'm going to find that GM exterior polish and take care of it, or I may even buy a new part, put a custom 3M or VentureShield layer on it, and install that.

IRONDOG is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by e6t View Post
    how can anything that is strong enough to be formed into something hard be so soft??!!

nothing a little polish didnt quickly take care of...

What type of polish?

neuronbob is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 2013 6MT V wagon, OBM, 2009 silver V sedan (traded)

Quote Originally Posted by IBNR View Post
    Tom, did your installer have to take apart the center console to do this? What about the area around the gear shift lever? Does the VentureShield wrap around the sides and onto the back of the black parts? If so, I wonder if this wouldn't kill two birds with one stone -- scratch resistance and helping to silence the clicks and pops that many people get from these areas especially in hard turns. Have you noticed any creaks, clicks or pops from the hard plastic parts in your car?
    No, he did not take apart. He fitted then cut along the natural lines between the parts. I'll take a picture tomorrow and post up, but it's very hard to find the edge of the venture shield.

I only have 100 miles, but so far this car is just as nice as my SL550 was in quality and ride. Actually I'm impressed, as i didn't expect the car to even be in the same class (in my mind) as the Mercedes SL.

e6t
    e6t is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): V2 CTSV

Quote Originally Posted by IRONDOG View Post
    What type of polish?
    Zymol, actually.

MSOsr is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2011 Thunder Gray CTS-V coupe and Raven Black 2007 SRX

Venture Shield pics?

Mike

Now that my scratches are gone, I'm going to cover with Zymol just so I can smell the plant oils.

Mike

M5eater is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): ATS 2.0T RWD FE3

Quote Originally Posted by neuronbob View Post
    couldn't you use say.. any low-abrasive polish instead of the GM stuff?

Absolutely..........I used 3M Final Glaze, which has very little in the way of abrasives. It took several passes to get rid of the scratches. But that insured I didn't wear new scratches into the surface with a very abrasive polish.

Go minimal first, and go stronger only if the last polish didn't get rid of the scratches.

Mike

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.